Crash to desktop without error message

After I was able to get the client stable enough to complete the new download, it appears to be pretty stable. With the completely fresh install I let a flight run for over an hour and it ran just fine with High graphics. I’m going to test it out a little more and then see if I can start adding mods without running into issues.

Since release I’m stuck with the ucrtbase.dll error. The only change has been after a patch a couple of weeks ago: now 5 identical error messages pop up before the crash, instead a straight CTD. Recently, support suggested I should reinstall windows. Well, since I need my computer for work and everything else runs fine, I gave up and just deleted FS for now. That being said, I’d be curious if anybody with this particular problem did a reinstall and got it resolved.

1 Like

Glad to hear of your success, however let me remind you of the first rule of troubleshooting.

Change ONE thing and test.

If you can keep it stable without messing with affinity I strongly suggest you do as this could cause other issues. I expect the real time process blocker has more to do with it that anything.
Can’t hurt to try anyway.

2 Likes

I have never been a fan of UPDATING drivers. It seems there are always bits left behind that cause no end issues somewhere down the road. I try to make a point of always uninstalling the old driver first. Once in a while I’ll go thru and do a clean up, especially when I notice extended boot times or instability. One of the cleanups I will do is make sure no unused drivers are residing in the system.

1. To do that, press “Win + X” and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the list of options. If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, you can search and open command prompt as admin in your start menu.

remove-old-drivers-select-cmd-admin

1. Type the following command and press the Enter button to execute the command:

SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

remove-old-drivers-enter-command

What the above command does is force all the non-present or old and invisible drivers to show up in the Device Manager list. Once you have done this, you can proceed with the uninstallation.

Uninstall Old Drivers In Windows

1. To uninstall the old drivers, press “Win + X” and select “Device Manager” from the list of options. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, you can search for device manager in the start menu.

remove-old-drivers-select-device-manager

1. Go to “view” and select the option “show hidden devices” to reveal all the hidden and old drivers.

The good thing about this feature is that all the old drivers are faded out, so you can easily identify the old or non-present drivers from current drivers.

1. Select the old driver you want to uninstall, right-click and select the uninstall option.

no… we already determined that possible the order of driver installing, whether you made restarts, etc.
seems to have an effect.

Also, if we speak about Deinstalling the nvidia drivers, the users should choose “completely driver reset” so that older configuration files also removed. In another thread it comes on top that lots of users made own nvidia control panel settings, which are NOT the nvidia defaults and which then causing lot of trouble. The complet reset ensure, that you work without any kind of manual “self tweaking” settings :wink:

Also lots of users re-installing drivers without an window restart. I highly recommend to made restart after deinstall and after new-install.

I used DDU … seems to have done a good job …

another recommendation: use official installer :rofl:

no, real… I not know what this Guru3D Driver installs, deinstalls, removes, what ever do…
Important to mention was just, that a compleltly Deinstall is necessary… with all former created config-files, etc. … If these DDU correct do , then you can of course use that tool :slight_smile:

DUU seems to just Uninstall stuff…

I got into a state where no Nvdiia driver would install or de-install using Nvida install software.

After running DUU, my Nvidia hardware or any sign if Nvidia was not even visible anymore (Good), until I then did a clean install of my selected Nvidia driver.

I have no problem using tools like Regedit, but if an App can do the job, without any possibility of user error in Regedit, that a winner in my book.

Still flying, my Unlimited fuel c172, USA to Spain … 50% across the Atlantic @ 120 knots … its going to be a long flight and I stress test the GPS, and do anything I can to get the sim to CTD … !!!

2 Likes

Hello guys, I have an issue, where the game crashes to the desktop without any error popping up. Everything was fine, firstly I did a flight today and it crashed right before crossing the English Channel…I thought:“okay was a one time crash”. Then started the Sim again and it crashed again when wanting to start accelerating on the runway. So I searched up the mistake on the forum, but unfortunately there is no solution for this random crash. Then after one hour I did a flight again from London Heathrow and it crashed in the loading screen. It was loading fast and at once the music stops and it crashes and closes the application. When wanting to spawn for example at Gibraltar everything was fine, also spawning at London Stansted was no problem. The main problem was I couldnt spawn at EGLL for some reason. I tried multiple times spawing at EGLL, but non of the times I was able to even come into the sim…it crashed on the loading screen…does anyone have the same problem and maybe a solution… thanks guys :wink:

I’m glad that worked out for you too. And if you notice the FPS also increased (at least mine did from 25 to 27-28 at HIGH settings).

1. After executing MSFS, go to Details in Task Manager and right click on Flightsimulator.exe and select affinity and uncheck CPU (0). You need to do this every time you play MSFS
2. Turn off Real Time Protection in Windows Defender/Antivirus

That’s it. I thank you charlieqt888 for your solution, since then I haven’t had a crash - and that with ai offline 100% and ultra. However, I would also like to know why your solution works. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry for being too quick to diagnose. I did the same flight again and only removed the old drivers, as some suggested in the forum, and otherwise changed nothing, including Charly’s two points - and still there was no crash. What was wrong? :wink: But not as easy as expected.

Just had a CTD no message flying Innsbruck to Donegal (about an hour in to the flight). Live Traffic on.

Haven’t had many, but disappointing when it does happen. Reminds me of the old FSX.

I have indeed tried the exact same flight, and yes, it CTD’ed at almost the same spot.

That said, I would say about 40-50% of all my flights end in a CTD around the 60-90 minute mark.

I created a short test to see if AI traffic was causing CTDs. To generate as much traffic as possible, i enabled all the AI traffic settings and set the sliders to 100. Then I set up the test with three different aircraft using the same IFR flight plan. (Same weather, same time-of-day) Enabled the autopilot shortly after takeoff. All three had a CTD after flying about the same amount of time. The distances flown for each aircraft were different because of their different airspeeds. I then disabled AI traffic and AI ground aircraft, vehicles, and crew.

The same three aircraft were flown with the same flight plan as before. All three aircraft completed their flights to their gates or parking without any CTDs. Since then, i make sure all AI traffic has been disabled.

There was a fix in the latest release that was to clear out all AI traffic outside of a certain radius. Apparently too much AI traffic was being created overwhelming MSFS. I have not retested my test flights to verify if the fix worked, partly because it seems like AI traffic was not working recently.

I got a fix for my issue.

I pulled out the 1080 in my PC and installed a 3080 ultra.

No software changes at all (driver is the same geforce driver) - just pulled and replaced the card and as a wild test fired up the sim - I think there are issues with older pascal iteration cards,

1 Like

After reinstalling I had two days of absolutely perfect, rock-solid flying but now I’m back to stuttering audio and CTDs without any error messages. I haven’t changed any settings, nothing updated, I didn’t install or uninstall anything, didn’t add any mods. I shut down my computer when I went out, turned it back on when I came home and now MSFS is crashing again.

Guy’s … stop these orgies of re-installing !

If all of you nothing changes and there are also NO Windows updates , or other driver updates in Background , the issue must sit within the dynamic parts of MSFS => network.

Thus, try to disable / change settings which network centric… e.g. Generica Model ( sinlge and multiplayer ) , AI * , text2speach, whatsever.

Re-installing change absolut nothing on your PC… you download exact same Bits and Bytes, you lost Hours for downloading of 100Gig, you bring lots of load into the MS download servers, and so on…

1 Like

Disabling all online functionality didn’t change anything, and when it was working well, I had all online functionality enabled and working normally. As far as I can tell from troubleshooting my issue is something to do with audio. Either in Windows or with the drivers, but I can’t Windows to let me install the actual motherboard audio drivers over the Windows one so I’m a bit stuck right now. And it really doesn’t like my USB DAC, which crashes MSFS even faster.

Have you tried this…

• Device manager,
  • Sound etc devices,
  • RealTek audio,
  • double-click to open its Properties,
  • Driver tab,
  • Update driver,
  • Browse my computer for driver software,
  • then enter the path to the folder you have put the driver inf