Crazy stuttering

I have a decent computer, specs are
32gb 3200mhz ram
2tb 980 pro disk

Game runs like a dog. Constant stuttering, totally frustrating. I had it manually overclocked to 5ghz and saw that my last core was basically pegged at 100% so I then reset my bios settings to defaults - now it’s more equal load across cores however the stuttering continues.

I’m running windows 11 and all other games run perfectly fine. I’ve only recently reinstalled this game as last time I had similar problems.

CPU in game hovers around 25% and gpa about 50%.

How can this game still run so ■■■■ after all this time?

5 Likes

Exactly same issue here. Last month (before the 2nd USA WU), it was running fantastic. My CPU mainthread frametime is seeing an insane amount of stutter.

I’ve tried reverting NVIDIA drivers to older version. I’ve tried a completely clean reinstallation of the sim. I’ve also reset my BIOS settings. Nothing.

Hoping SU10 will fix this but something is definitely busted. I have similar specs to you as well, and all my other games are running butter smooth.

FIXED thanks to Papa’s solution on our Discord server. All credits on the fix below go to him! Just detailing what I did below in case it can help OP’s issue, as it sounded similar to mine.

The problem: my paging file size was set in the same drive that my sim is installed (C: drive).

The fix: disabled paging file on my sim (C:) drive, and turned paging file on another SSD that did not have the sim, and setting it to “System managed size”. Followed by restarting computer by clicking task bar, ALT+F4, and Restart.

Back to butter smooth frame times, no frametime stutters whatsoever.

Hello
What controller do you have?
The same thing happened to me this last 516.59
Look for the best with more performance 511.23
I also realized the brutal load that MSFS 2020 makes in memory and I solved it like this I give you a link
(I recommend HAGS disabled)

For me the only solution of thousands that I have tried the only solution was to clean the ram every 2 minutes benefit 100% and I did not notice anything strange in the sim
If the ram works harder to read again and I don’t notice anything on my flight then I prefer that to jumping and jerking throughout my journey

If the RAM has to read where I’m going again, let it read it again, nothing happens, that’s what it’s for…
I have gotten tired of reading solutions everywhere and I am not a RAM so with this solution I stopped reading so much and more to fly

Hi bondibro,

What version of Windows 11 are you using? The latest build 22H2 performs significantly worse with MSFS 2020 when compared to the previous build 21H2.

The CPU and GPU usage are both decreased compared to the older build. I and a good few others have raised this on the forum, and it seems that it can’t be completely corrected through setting changes. For me it reintroduced stutters and poor frame rates that are similar to the DX12 beta.

If you can revert back to Win 11 build version 21H2 that will resolve any problems that are due to Windows.

Your pc should run the game really well, but I definitely agree standard clock speeds are best for both cpu and gpu as MSFS is so sensitive, although XMP for ram seems to be fine. Also try disabling hyperthreading, if you haven’t already.

4k is the minimum resolution that 3080s and 90s should be running at and even then the only real way to make them behave is by bumping graphic settings and renderscale. That or VR.

This is not how memory works.

A process will ask the OS to allocate it some memory, the OS will allocate that memory to that process and return an address to that memory (a pointer), then the process (in this case, the sim) will write what it needs to that part.

No other software can free that memory again.

This is how memory leaks happen, a process allocates memory, they write to it, but they lose reference to the pointer but what they have written in memory still exists, the process can’t free it due to lost the pointer, so it becomes a leak that will clear itself up once the process has quit and the OS cleans things up.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot mate. I will try this and let you know how I go. Cheers

the idea is ok, but I would not recommend to completely disable pagefile on main-drive. Better solution would be a very small fixed pagefile of e.g. 1GIG on main-driver. So it is ensured that there is allways a pagefile available, also if you remove as some reason the D: drive.

Cleaning memory every 2 minutes is a terrible idea. Don’t do it. The sim uses your RAM to cache things, and every time you clean up the memory like that, you’re making the sim start caching things over again.

not sure why you delete these correct post :slight_smile:

Cleaning the memory , depend on what users clean, can (not must) cause trouble. Also cleaning allways the Standby list, makes “cache” useless ( which is managed from OS ) and can again cause stutters. In taskmanager/resourcemanager we can see what memory portion of an app can “give free”.

Moving page file and even having a small page on main c: drive did not fix my problem unfortunately.

I set up a 13gb ramdrive, 8gb for the rolling cache and 5 for my only page file.
Works tremendously. Of course I know what you will all say but I have PCIe.4 and ram is about 3x quicker than NVMe.

Fantastic performance in the beta.

ähmm, you spend RAM that you can create a 5gig pagefile into a RAMdrive, instead that the applications can use that 5Gig RAM directly , with no pagefile overhead ? :thinking:

And a note about putting the rolling-cache into a RAMdrive: windows have a own cache, you see it e.g. in increase of standby memory. Therefore I cant believe that putting the rolling-cache into a RAMdrive bring a beneffit :relaxed:

yep… I assume that was a special situation where the pagefile must used in a un-healty amount or other reason :slight_smile: ( one possible other reason: we can also see, that @rootLucus set a renderscale from WQHD to 4K , so I not wonder about stutters, and within the image after moving the pagefile to D: the render-scale is back to 100% - so you can imageing what the culprit was :wink: )

For stutters exists also other reasons… from game settings like tLOD, network stuff, applications in parallel, etc. In special if you have one core in 100% you should try to reduce tLOD ( start with 50 and go up ).

I imagine the routing to a ram page file is a little more convoluted e.g. from v-ram but it’s the same from normal ram too.

gpu > cpu > ram > cpu > gpu
against:
gpu > cpu > SSD >gpu

But Ram is 3x quicker than NVMe and at least 10x quicker than SSD. Of course you have to have the buses to support this or it will create a bottleneck, this means it’s only for PCIe.4 cpu’s and mainboards and in my example a PCIe.4 supported gpu too.

Yes with only 19gb of traditional available ram it will page earlier but I don’t seem to have any issues with this, maybe with massive hand built airports it might but I don’t have any.

The overhead in drivers was only a example ( and it is a huge difference whether windows can use the memory interface, instead go through some ssd- and filesytem interfaces to access the pagefile )… Windows have special rules when pagefile is used. I only want to mention that it would be way better to let the RAM in direct usage and because you have then 5Gig more free RAM ( or if we see the whole RAMdrive of 13Gig ) the pagefile will never be used. But as you wrote… if its works fine… :slight_smile:

I understand that and I was skeptical myself until I tried it. Btw for me in HWinfo it always shows less than 0.1% of page file usage so I could probably reduce mine from my Windows recommended minimum.

yeah yeah… this too I mean… you reserved 5gig RAM , but because windows manage the pagefile usage it might not used and the 5GIG of RAM are not usable ( not in same way as pure RAM, eg. for windows cache )

Yes but we also know that having no page file creates problems for MSFS … I shall continue to experiment but I probably need different software, is there anything you recommend?

yes, “no pagefile” is never a good idea, independend of MSFS and the amount of existing RAM :slight_smile:

I’am not sure what you meant with “different software”. Place the rolling-cache into a RAMdrive, nn…okay ( but I have also doubts about a performance increase ). But the pagefile itself I personaly would never put into a RAMdrive - just on normal disc and if windows think it need it, it will use it. In special in your case where the pagefile is not used, I would set it simple on main-drive with SystemMangaged or, to safe disc space, with a min:1g and max:WhatYouAssume. Pretty sure there are no stutters because of that and that windows like the additional 5GIG :slight_smile:

Well I meant something that will definitely call on more ram than I have allocated but yes I think I can set up my ram cache or a manual cache to reserve more.
It was reading up about Windows 11 and direct storage which gave me the idea that ram virtual memory might now work when previously it was scoffed at … we shall see.

1 Like