Creating the MSFS version of the Short Skyvan turboprop plane!

The new plane I will be developing now is the Short SC7 Skyvan, a twin engines, high-wing monoplane with a high aspect ratio wing, and an unpressurised fuselage with a square-shape and a large rear door for easy loading and unloading.
It’s story has some sad pages, but the plane has no guilt in that, and for many aspects it is a very efficient and good plane.

18 Likes

I saw the Canadian Forces Skyhawks team jump out of one of these at an airshow over the summer, such a neat little aircraft!

1 Like

Yes this aircraft is widely used for parachute jumping, thanks to its wide back door and flight profile, but also for fast loading and unloading heavy materials, and military operations, but I saw pictures of passengers arrangement too.

1 Like

We are also planning a Short Skyvan Project and we have support from Pink Aviation. They will support us with real data from their own Skyvans

1 Like

Really good to hear we can look forward to hopefully TWO Skyvans. It’s a type I’ve always loved, with its unique looks and functionality. Sadly, many would consider this to be an ‘ugly’ aircraft and therefore pass on it. That’s probably why we’ve never had a really nice example in the sim.

Personally, I’m willing to spend really nice money to get a study-level example with all the bells and whistles.

2 Likes

I agree with you, this is a largely underestimated plane on flight sims, so I’m happy that other developers are planning to produce a Skyvan.
I am doing it more because I love it than for other reasons. Modelling a plane gives you a very deep knowledge of the plane, and you can gather the support from real pilots and engineers who worked with the plane in real life.
It’s so exciting. I’m also willing to offer co-operation if this can be interesting.

Hello, thanks for the offer, i will comeback to you on that

Thats one of the Pink Aviation Skyvans

2 Likes

Hi,

Would you consider doing a version of the Austrian Air Force?

Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

Maybe, depends on how much work it will be to do more models. We plan to do 3, 5 and 7 blade versions and 3 nose style versions. But thats no promise. We will do one of the Pink Skyvans which we get access to for reference, they have OE-FDN/FDI/FDV. Most of them are 7 blade so we will see

Livery is no problem. Should be doable. We are in early planning because first we want to visit Pink Aviation to do a lot of research, take pictures for livery and modelling stuff.

1 Like

That’s another entry into the “Things That Can Not Be Unseen” category!

Blackbox Simulations

Sadly Blackbox will not do a Skyvan, they only did 330 and 360, the big sisters of the skyvan. I asked them if they plan to do the skyvan aswell but they replied that they will not do the sc7 skyvan

Thanks to the pictures that Santos posted, I started modelling and texturing the overhead. I miss the exact measures, but it is getting a good shape by now…

3 Likes

This plane has the flight manual on the cabin ceiling!!! :wink:

2 Likes

Pleaseee do the 3-blade version :heart: The classic one :heart: And an analog cockpit, no EFIS

2 Likes

Thats the plan, our reference will be OE-FDN as we have the chance to visit the real airplane in january. Our main focus will be 7 and 5 blade as Pink Aviation has no 3 blade skyvan anymore but if its not too much work we will do 3 blade aswell as its the original version.

At the moment only classic Cockpit is planned with some modern type avionics for navigation like the real OE-FDN has it. This will be our reference aircraft

I really begin to love this little bird… it’s so fun to pilot it among the greek islands… taking off and landing on short runways, enjoying the landscape through the big windscreen, manouvering it gently over the mountains!

2 Likes

It’s weird looking for sure. Personally I think it clearly passed beyond being ugly and entered “so ugly it’s frakking cute” territory. Absolutely adorable! Now this is one “larger” plane I can get behind! Will follow this thread with much interest!

2 Likes

Thanks Hayray, I totally agree with you. The shape of this plane is exactly what is needed for paratroopers transportation and easy launch, but also for cargo, and why not, passengers.
Adding details day after day is slowly turning this “almost by chance” project into a lovable plane that I greatly enjoy to fly.
I have activated enough systems to achieve a full cold and dark startup, with all gauges and warnings following each operation.
Probably I will post a video, but I must get deeper into the flight manual to improve the realism of the operations.

1 Like

Some shots during c&d startup, testing warnings panel.
Also playing with gauges lighting…

1 Like