CTD after checking for updates

I did all that already.

Uninstall graphics drivers via DDU.

Download and install 466.77
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/driverResults.aspx/179807/en-uk

Also install language pack English (Unitet States)

Doesn’t have anything to do with gpu drivers. Just to follow up, I completely wiped all drives. Did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro, all Win 11 updates, installed the latest nvidia drivers, geforce experience, and the sim. Everything is working at this point.

Language pack was already installed as well lol. Seriously. I checked and double checked all the steps listed in the walkthrough thread, as well as reading over dozens of other threads that had similar issues. None of that worked.

The only thing that worked was a complete clean windows install, with a clean sim install. So, It’s all done for now. We’ll see what the advisor says back from the Zendesk submission as to what might have been the cause.

1 Like

Same here.
This is the first time I have real trouble and I`m playing the sim since an early alpha version.
Let’s see if the next update helps. :cry:

Edited:

The solution by deactivating/activating the network works fine for me. It doesn’t crash after searching for updates anymore.

Look here:

Same here - deactivating NIC before starting helps. Otherwise crash at 50% of the loading screen - nothing has changed as I was on vacation!

as allways, the message from windows event viewer might give us helpfull hints :wink:

Beside of the hints from other users, it seems you crash while come into main menu. You have a new GPU, may be try to limit the load on it and start again ( e.g nvidia controll center and set Max FPS to 30 ).

And STOP the re-installation orgies, it will change nothing. You download the same data again and again. You can also do a test-case with un-plugged network, in case the issue is not the GPU.

PS: Windows 11 is still not official supported

Windows 11 might not be “supported” officially, but it works just fine. I’ve reinstalled the sim, it’s playing fine now. I did a clean install of Win 11 Pro, wiped all the other drives in the system, and started fresh. It’s been working fine since. I installed each item that I normally have on the system, one by one, and did test flights. No problems right now. So far, the only games on the system now is the flight sim, and Gears 5. The normally used app; i.e. snagit, geforce experience, msi afterburner, are all installed and aren’t causing any issues.

Im running the windows store version on Windows 20H2 19042.844, things were working fine a few weeks ago (last time I ran it).

I tried clearing out the community folder, but no luck.

Each time it gets to the checking for updates it crashes to desktop (no error), in event viewer its 0xc0000005

I recently did update the nvidia driver to 471.41 (the one known to work best for VR of the more recent ones).

Anyone ran into this, any suggestions…

I did try doing the repair option, no luck

Are you running the game off an external drive? If so your format may be exFat and I would switch the format to NTFS this solved my CTD issue with that exact error code. This requires reformatting the external to NTFS

No, its on local NVME drive. I just did a clean install on the nvidia driver too, didnt help, i hate to do a full reinstall, last time i did that it was a nightmare and despite cloud settings i lost most of them and things wouldnt install and had errors too

A reinstall may be the best option. You can always try to run the game off an external formatted to NTFS and see what happens.

I renamed flightsimulator.cfg, simconnect.xml and usercfg.opt to .bad in the appdata local packages localcache folder and the next startup i got to a prompt to update the sim. I’d say i may be good now.

Ill try renabling these back one by one to see what broke things though

1 Like

Was experiencing the exact same issue here - consistent CTD right after the update screen… Game ran fine last time I tried 8/16 - but this fixed it for me… launched after renaming those files, pointed it to my existing packages folder, and it got past the CTD spot. Maybe it was something with the display settings? I’m on a 1080 Ti (latest nvidia drivers) with an ultrawide monitor so it was set to windowed fullscreen at 3440x1440, but renaming those files caused it to default to 1920x1080 windowed which works fine now.

After 5+ attempts to install the game, I finally got it installed.

However, CTD occurs everytime either on the checking for updates screen, or after, 2/3 the loading bar in.

Here is where things get wild:
I figured out a bypass, by unplugging by internet, clicking ok on no internet popup, then plugging it back in. It loads fine - however, still CTD if I try to restart a flight or do a lot of things it seems.

I then invite a friend to a party in MSFS2020, we’re both on PC, and we both CTD immediately. His game was working FINE, previously, and he now experiences the EXACT same CTD bug. However, the internet trick does not work for him. It appears I transferred a CTD bug over to him by joining a party.

I have contacted MSFS support about this, then gave me generic zendesk links which we have both tried everything on their until the point of insanity, until they asked us for our msinfo files which we handed over. They told us the DLL urctbase was the issue in hand. Then, sent us another generic zendesk CTD link.

We were frustrated by this, as we have tried it over 50 times, so we asked them for an actual response. They said they sent it over to their team, and the ticket will remain open - that was 4 days ago. I have tried following up, yet to no avail.

I paid $120 for this game, convinced a friend to pay $60 and we both can’t even play it and support will not help us.

Any help would be significantly appreciated.

No addons, no developer mode, GTX 1080, i7-8700, 16gb ram, Microsoft store version, deluxe. 1.18.15.0

Hello @raineze .

Maybe this can help.

See CTD at loading screen category, e.g. 356188. That was also a CTD that only occured with internet connected.

As you mentioned urctbase, I would recommend to try to update the Visual C++ Redist. By searching here in the forum, you may find details on how to do that.

Thanks.

I’ve tried updating the Visual C++, as well as I saw the form you sent. Their solution is clearing the last steam save, but I’m on Microsoft unfortunately.

Sorry, then I am out of ideas :cry:.

No problem, thanks for trying though.

1 Like

Another idea,
do you have any kind of peripherals?
If yes, try to launch without connecting them.
As you say that there were multiple installation attempts, what exactly was the problem when installing MSFS?
Maybe the install got corrupted somehow in the process?
This is me, more guessing then having any kind if clue.
Maybe your Event Viewer log can give some indication?