CTD in DX11 mode without FPS Cap

:pushpin: Note: Please read the following posts. We found out that the crash is not because of the content manager! :pushpin:
Here the Link: CTD in DX11 mode without FPS Cap - #7 by NightfallGER

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

I did a fresh Installation of the MSFS. After that i startet to Download the Updates via the ingame content manager. (world updates, third party airports) after a random time the app give me a CTD without any error warning. sometimes i can download a full item like the german world update or an airport. sometimes it crashes.
i can load flights so the sim itself is working.
i dont have installed something in the community folder yet and i tryed the save mode for the sim.

here is my faultbucket ID:

Fehlerbucket , Typ 0
Ereignisname: LiveKernelEvent
Antwort: Nicht verfĂŒgbar
CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: 141
P2: ffffce8ffbedf050
P3: fffff8036907de38
P4: 0
P5: 1f40
P6: 10_0_19044
P7: 0_0
P8: 768_1
P9:
P10:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

latest version (PC, Microsoft store digital edition)

Here are some things to try in the troubleshooter.
This also has links to the next version at the end of the article

Sadly nothing from this list helped me.

I did a fresh windows 10 installation and it did not helped.

now i regret the amount of time i spend in this

Did you go through the linked articles at the end of that one?

After a lot of testing i can nearly sure say that not the Contentmanager is the problem.
Its the DX11 Version here for me.

The DX11 Version Crashes on Menu or ingame randomly.

When i use the DX12 Version the CTD errors without messages dissapear.

But my performance with the DX12 Version is not the best. My GPU uses in menus 99% performance but ingame only round about 40-60%. but this is another problem

this sound more like that your gpu is with DX11 more stressed than with current DX12-beta and so it not crashs in dx12-beta. You can simple test the theory with limiting the fps to eg. 30 in nvidia control center and go in test-cases stepwise higher.

About the 100% gpu load in “main-menu” we have e.g. wish like these: Lower Resources in the Menu, Downloading, and Minimized. FPS cap? - #574 by MichaMMA

I did now a lot more testing and i can say that the sim does NOT crash with a 30 FPS Cap and active DX11. My GPU ( RTX 2080 Super ) is under these settings most time at round about 60% under load.
(EDMM Scenery, FBW A320, Settings at High, 3440x1440 resolution)

I did a long haul flight with the A330-900 (standalone mod) over 9 hours and no problemes there.
I did also a lot of A320 (FBW Mod) short term flights and had no issues.
I also let the sim 8 hours in the menues and nothing happend there.

I tryed other DX12 games and they run without problems. I also did a DX11 test on WOW (world of warcraft) and nothing happend. all that tests without FPS limit and 100% gpu load.

So i can say my hardware is OK. but with some reason MSFS dont like full power DX11. (in my case)

maybe i will set higher FPS limits with the nvidia tool to see when the critical point is reached.

Thanks for that very nice tip MichaMMA :slight_smile:

(I editet the topic of the thread)

one additional note: usually, if a limit is necessary, it points often to any kind of hardware issue. As example in another topic, similar symphom, it was a faulty RAM stick : CTDs are back - #50 by CaptainOx42 ( more often its gpu related )

Hey, did you manage to find a solution? I’m in exactly the same boat. MSI RTX 2080 Super on board, and the sim will CTD whenever the gpu gets stressed enough.
Just like in your case - limiting the fps to 30 alleviates the issue and I can fly long hauls without any problems. The thing is - this only applies to flat screen simming. VR obviously pushes the gpu to it’s limits and the CTDs come back (and I’m not really keen on limiting the frames here).
I can firmly say it’s not a faulty hardware of any kind, as stressing the gpu in e.g. XP11 or DCS doesn’t result in any kind of crash.

our experiance: in 99.9% of the cases it is

In a similar topic a user determined a faulty RAM stick.

@MichaMMA
I dont know why that problem should caused by a fault RAM Stick? The RAM use is the same with and without a FPS cap. And i had this crashes in the main menue where the RAM use should very low.
and as i said. other games works without problems. i can play world of warcraft with 100% usage for hours and nothing is wrong there
and i did a RAM fault test. no problems found

@Grzybciu
After that FPS cap fix worked i did not do a lot of investigation because i was happy that i can use the sim now.
but there are some minor changes i made that i have to test without the cap.
for example is used for years the option in the nvidia control center “always maximum power”.
the probleme here is that the memory and main clock rate from the gpu was always at max. so the idle power usage was about 50 - 60 watt.
i reset the settings and the clock rates are now low when they dont need to be high. now the idle power usage is at 20 watt.
maybe the sim crashed because that setting? (i use a ASUS 2080 super)
i dont use VR so iam confident with the 30 FPS cap. it saves energy and the hardware. of course there is less noise.
i will test the sim without the fps cap with this new standard nvidia settings and that new sim update 9

1 Like

it was just one example case and in context that users mentioned “it is not the hardware”. I still assume it is a system issue, as jsut allways in forum in case “limiting fps helped”. If not the RAM , as from the example, may be the power supply, or overheating, or whats ever
 Your changes related to the power settings points again on that.

Sorry but i cant believe that because i can play other Games with full power and without problems.

But as always nobody know whats realy wrong with the system. It can be so easy if Asobo provides a good Crash Log Tool.

Right at this time i run the Sim without Cap for like 1,5 hours and i have no problems.

1 Like

that’s the difficulty with hardware issues 
 one day all works fine - next day the room temp is 0.5° higher and bang :joy:

But of course, my “summary” is related to the heading of the topic " CTD in DX11 mode without FPS Cap " , not other kind of CTDs. If the game works only fine if you reduce the system load ( e.g. with limiting fps ) , then it is usually a system thing.

1 Like

Same Problem here. MSI RTX 2080 Super, 9900KF and 32GB RAM.
Without FPS limit I get frequent CTDs, often on my way to the runway.

With FPS capped at 30, no problems

@NightfallGER @Housefrau3355 Could you guys check how the sim behaves when you turn on the “Debug mode” in NVIDIA Control Panel? It’s located at the top in the Help section if I remember correctly.
I did several 2h flights with it enabled, and the fps cap disabled, and the sim didn’t crash.
If it turns out the same for you, then there must be something funky going on between MSFS (it’s the only app that CTDs for me) and the card’s factory overclock (since the debug mode brings the clocks down to Nvidia’s reference values).

Also regarding suggestions about faulty ram sticks - memtest was run for extensive periods of time, and no errors were found.

1 Like

yes. These reverts the factory overclock of the graphic-cards to reference clock and so why should the game the bad-boy ? :slight_smile:

@Grzybciu
Thanks for the info.

I‘ll try next time and report back. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

@MichaMMA Mainly because it’s an issue isolated to MSFS only. No other apps which utilize the GPU to it’s limits suffer from this issue.
And believe me, I’d expect e.g. X-Plane to be more unstable than what we’re discussing here, not the other way around. Yet it is able to run without any crashes even with GPU OC higher than factory OC.

1 Like

Plus - from what I gathered from this thread - all affected (including me) have RTX 2080 Super in their PCs (2x MSI, 1x Asus).
So either we all have faulty GPUs which work fine under heavy load everywhere except MSFS (doubtful), or MSFS for some reason doesn’t work well with these manufacturers factory OCs.