CTD on launch caused by ucrtbase.dll with Exception code c0000005

in both games it’s the same reason ( pci-e soundcard and mobo soundcard activated ) ?..

This seems to coincide with the last update that updated Wwise libs (think I saw that in the SDK docs).

So either there is a regression in Wwise (unlikely), or there was a breaking change (which would be documented) and Asobo (and the Death Stranding devs) didn’t read the docs correctly (likely).

Edit: Seems the fault could be on Wwsie side. The folowing is noted in the 2019.2.8 release notes:

• WG-51409 Fixed: AK::GetWindowsDevice returns NULL for default devices.

See: https://www.audiokinetic.com/library/edge/?source=SDK&id=releasenotes.html

@OmacRanger and @MichaMMA can you check what version Death Stranding has? Not sure where to get the libs from, but if you can find the latest, see if it fixes it.

Edit2: MSFS has WwiseLibPCx64P.dll which seems like a custom build, no such files in the Wwise SDK. Closest is Wwiselib.dll but it is 7MB vs 4MB in MSFS.

Yup. I couldn’t start flight sim since the last update (could be coincidence with another update on my system?), and since the latest Death Stranding update in December I was getting crashes any time I try to open the options – I assume they’re trying to access audio devices some how? Regardless, if I stop the windows audio service as suggested above I can now finally launch MSFS and if I disable it I can access the settings again in Death Stranding. Re-enabling it for either brings back the crashes immediately.

So, question is how we can bring this to Asobo’s attention?

As mentioned, I already updated my ticket with a link to this thread but they responded I should try reinstall Visual C++ and the English (United States) language package to fix the problem…

thanks for reply…

@DronkeyKlong I not have Death Stranding :slight_smile: … I asked @OmacRanger because its interessting that two different games have same issue with a specific sound-configuration.
If both games use the same lib, this migth be ‘the’ issue. This lib/file was also changed at 22.Dec.2020, at least this is file-date at my drive.

That would indicate it was indeed updated in 12/22 patch. I have the windows store version, so I cant even poke around to see if there are any version strings in it, not that it will help.

I checked that allready… no additional infos…

If anyone experiencing this issue and has some coding skills, the bug should be repeatable from a sample wwise app using the official (older) libs and should work with latest.

If I could trigger this I would give it a go, but not going to waste time on stuff I cant fix.

it would be interessting whether it’s realy the second PCI-E soundcard…

Hope I not misunderstand that users with the issue have two of them… Otherwise it’s bit strange why it happens only for some users and other users can play without the issue. If the issue also happen in case there is only one soundcard present ( hardware wise ) then it might be also a kind of special driver issue…

My audio hardware setup looks like this:

• built-in sound card on my MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard where I have my desktop speakers connected
  • Jabra Engage 75 headset connected via USB
  • SAMSUNG TV (Nvidia High Definition Audio) connected automatically via the HDMI cable
  • HP Reverb G2 connected via DP and USB

I tried disconnecting the Jabra and HP Reverb headsets and disabled the SAMSUNG TV (Nvidia High Definition Audio) device. Leaving the built-in sound card with my desktop speakers connected to it as the only available sound device in Windows. Still I’m getting the same issue when launching MSFS with the Windows Audio Service running.

So only having one sound device doesn’t seem to “fix” the problem. At least not over here.

hmmm… and so my guess died :joy:

IMHO, it shouldn’t be us having to guess what is actually causing this and how to fix it. This is for Asobo to address.

Then of course, the more info we can find, the better. Based on the assumption Asobo will actually take part of what is said and discovered in here.

3 Likes

I tried EVERYTHING to get this game working again and this did the trick! I have several sound devices in windows and use the EVGA Nu Audio card as my default device. I also have entries for my monitor speakers (via Displayport), my Oculus Rift, and my on-motherboard realtek audio. Stopping the audio service is the only thing that got me past the black screen and onto the XBOX splash screen. Now everything is downloading again.

PC Specs:
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 w/ 8700K
RTX 3090 FE
32 GB G.Skill Trident Z RAM @ 3200Mhz
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe SSD
EVGA Nu Audio Audio Card
Oculus Rift CV1

Game installed on C:\ (OS) Drive

1 Like

Good to hear!

I’m still trying to get Asobo understand/acknowledge this as the actual culprit rather than faulty Visual C++ and language pack installations…

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be more helpful to start a topic that describes a general solution? This seems to be a problem specific to the user’s sound cards, sound drivers, and output device selection and setup. If you did receive an acknowledgement from Asobo, what would you want that to say and where would you expect it to appear?

Not sure I’m following you now.

I was the one who started this thread. With a topic that in a very detailed way describes the error code I and others see. To make it easy for others with the same issue to find this thread when doing a search. In this thread, they’ll find not the solution but a workaround until Asobo has addressed this bug.

What exactly is causing it and why it only affect some and not everyone is for Asobo to find out. As for different sound cards and audio devices, that I have already confirmed isn’t the full answer to why this is happening. Since I see the same issue regardless which of my sound devices I have selected during launch. The only way to avoid the crash during launch is as mentioned to stop the Windows Audio service.

What I meant waiting for Asobo to confirm this issue and the actual culprit for us having the issue (having the Windows Audio service running) was I so far only have received instructions from them to reinstall Visual C++ and the English (US) language pack. I find it highly unlikely any of those would have anything to do with what we’re seeing here. When I’ve told them about this, so far I’ve only received yet again how reinstalling Visual C++ and the English (US) language pack should fix the issue.

Last thing that happened in my communication with them was they asked for dxdiag and msinfo32 log files. Which I’ve now provided them with. Haven’t heard back from them after that.

To answer your question what I would like to happen now is for Asobo to come back to me saying “Thanks for pointing out the actual culprit. This will help us find the real issue and you can expect it to be fixed in next update.”

I hope that answers your concern?

1 Like

Agreed. The topic title will certainly lead users getting this specific error message (they have to look it up in system reports and stuff, right). I was thinking more along the lines of nailing Microsoft for an explanation. Asobo is probably not extremely knowledgeable about Windows, drivers, and all the foilables of Windows.

The reason I made my “general topic” suggestion was because I’ve seen a lot of posts about VR sound issues, sound drivers, and sound device setup and selection. I though that this particular exception is a specific symptom of a more general problem. Maybe their issue is similar – related to audio driver files and setup – and a more general topic and possible solutions might be very helpful.

Didn’t mean to step over the line.

No worries.

If Asobo doesn’t know what to do with a bug triggered by a default Windows service, I like to think they will have their own “speed dial” directly to MS to ask for help. After all, even when developed by Asobo, the title is called Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Not sure about other sound issues related to VR. Haven’t had any such issues myself with my HP Reverb G2. The only issue I have right now is the one discussed here. If this issue is related to some other sound/audio issues I can’t say. However, again, that is for Asobo to find out. Which they won’t do until they fully understand what has been found in this thread. And what is the real culprit triggering this crash. Rather than suggesting people to reinstall stuff that clearly isn’t related.

Anyway, I’ve already spent far too much time troubleshooting this game. Now I’m focusing on finally being able to enjoy it instead :slight_smile:

Good for you!! That’s way better than waiting on the MS side of this unholy union to give you any satisfaction. If they had a meme, it would undoubtedly include a sloth chasing a bouncing ball of some sort! :grin:

Thanks to whoever suggested the symlink fix. This bug had been haunting me since before Christmas, I had re-installed all my C++ library’s, re-installed MSFS, different language packs, single drive install, audio service disable, windows update rollback etc but nothing worked apart from this or re-setting before each restart.

Symlink shell extension I used: Link Shell Extension (schinagl.priv.at)

1 Like