CTD on launch caused by ucrtbase.dll with Exception code c0000005

I solved this issue for me:

I really hope someone from asobo is looking at this. Their support is appalling.

And not even to talk about the fact that the game makes a CTD for a bad login, or I donā€™t know, bad internet connection or whatever unrelated, and the ā€œsupportā€ sends you an automatic ā€œguideā€ to reinstall c++ redistributables, drivers, and everything around it!

Can you not try with something simpler first if you have a troubleshooter, instead of subtly guiding the people first to think itā€™s their fault.

I just hope someone there is caring about all of this.

UPDATE:

Iā€™ve just managed to get it resolved (sort of) Got it run and downloaded the massive amount of updates etc. The sim runs most of the time but still getting regular crashes to desktop without error.

What I did:

1/ disconnect from internet

2/ uninstall the sim

3/ Uninstall all instances or anything related to Visual Basic C++ Runtimes.

4/ Run a system cleaner/registry cleaner such as CC Cleaner or BleachBit

5/ Do an in place install of windows 10 If you donā€™t want to do a full clean install select the option for keeping your files and apps. Once windows has installed run windows update. restart windows and run window update again, repeat until there are no more updates available.

6/ Reinstall the sim and try to see if it runs. If not go to the Microsoft and download the latest Visual Basic C++ Runtimes, install both x86 & x64 versions.

The sim ais very buggy when/if it does run also we shouldnt have to go through hoops to get it to load/run Hopefully some of this will help someone

Great to hear you sort of got it working but like you say, having to go through what you describe only to get a game to launch is totally unacceptable.

Exception code: 0xc0000005
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll

I have mentioned this in another tread.
My temporary solution is to stop Windows Audio service before simulator launch.
As soon as black screen proceeds to Xbox logo restart Windows Audio service.
Afterwards everything works normal.

7 Likes

thats interessting.

Can you give us some info about your system ( in special related to sound-card ) ?

EDIT : and I forget I would mention that LINKS are very helpfull in case you want say same in different thread :slight_smile:

My audio system consists from o/b audio realtek basic windows drivers and another pci-e audio card.
I was early alpha and beta tester and never had problems except the last update before VR.
In order to launch simulator I had to make sure to choose active audio card. Now with the last update neither is possible.
Through extended trouble shooting drivers were removed and devices disabled.
The only way to launch sim is to disable Windows audio service temporary during sim launch.
After sim is up and running audio is working okay.

2 Likes

hmmmā€¦ strangeā€¦ so you disable the issued sound device with disabling the service.

The realtek is this from motherboeard, or ?.. If you not need this audio, e.g. because you use pci-e card only, then you can disable it in BIOS. Possible it helpsā€¦

Wow, this actually worked over here as well!

So this is quite amazingā€¦after spending hours and hours going through all worthless advice from Asobo Support the actual ā€œfixā€ is to disable one of MSā€™s own servicesā€¦

One question - after you stop the service and launch the game, do you then manually start the Windows audio service again once the game is running? You say the audio is working OK after the sim is up and running but surely you wonā€™t get any sound without the service running?

At least over here, I see how the sound icon in the system tray bar has a red cross and I have a message saying the audio service isnā€™t running when hovering with the mouse cursor over the icon.

Also, I guess you already told Asobo about this? So they donā€™t have more people with the same issue go through useless troubleshooting steps when the culprit is already known.

1 Like

Correct. O/b motherboard audio device with basic realtek windows drivers.
I like to have multiple audio choices for different applications. Never had problems so far.
The audio latency is super low and audio quality is top notch with sim running.
PCI-e card is ASIO audio interface with legacy drivers that are not digitally signed but performs with no problems as well.
During trouble shooting the device was completely disabled with drivers removed.

Read carefully.

1. Stop Windows audio service
  2. Launch simulator and wait for the screen to appear with Xbox logo.
  3. Restart Windows audio service
    Simulator is running perfectly normal with audio at least on my side.
    I hope ASOBO is reading this.
10 Likes

itā€™s same for meā€¦ only diff is that my other soundcards are usb-connected (asio too).

yes yesā€¦ With disabling the service possible msfs choose other one, or nothing. Then you restart the service and sound comes back.

It is realy a good hint / workaround to try !

EDIT:
ahā€¦ I havenā€™t seen that the second post was for @WebMaxxximus :slight_smile:

Thanks again for sharing this workaround!

Will play around with it more later on today when I have more time and will also make sure Asobo get this information so they can come up with a proper fix!

Hi @Bekotino!
Please report this via zendesk your findings as this is the proper way of reporting. When you come across something like this and itā€™s reproducible, make sure to report it. A lot of these CTDā€™s they can not reproduce. Everyone has different hardware/software/drivers.

Good find!

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

Thanks,
Report is out now. :wink:

3 Likes

I have been fighting this issue for several week myself. I turn off the Windows Audio service and BAM I got passed the black screen problem. I am up and running now.

1 Like

Please submit a ticket using the link a couple of posts up.

The more people reporting the issue, the better.

Mitgh be interessting which audio-devices is show within the windows-audio-settings for MSFS App then ( before and after starting windows audio service again )

( sound settings -> advanced settings -> MSFS Application )
possible we can force MSFS to use the correct soundcard ( if this is the issue ).

Iā€™m using the built-in sound card on my MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard. Since this works fine once the game has launched, I donā€™t think the sound card itself is the culprit here.

However, just for a test, I tried switching to another sound card (a USB attached headset) before launching MSFS. Just as I thought, I still got the same crash without first stopping the Windows Audio service.

Funny enough, I just received a reply Asobo Support on my message where I told them about this discovery and one really have to wonder what these guys over at the Asobo Support are doing. Their response once again was suggesting I should reinstall Visual C++, voice packages etc. So apparently, they didnā€™t even read what I told them.

Most impressiveā€¦not.

This fixed it for me too - and resolved a crash in another game (Death Stranding)! Very odd. Iā€™ll submit tickets on both to see what can be done. Great find!

1 Like