CTD (resource exhaustion detector)

Sometimes my sim crashes to desktop. When it does, i usually see an entry in the system event viewer which tells me that there is not enough virtual memory available (resource exchaustion detector).
I am on 16GB Ram, AMD Ryzen 3700X, RTX 2070. I created a swap file on my C:\ drive with a size of 32GB to prevent this problem but today, it crashed again.
The error log told me that MSFS consumed 25.730.093.056 Bytes of memory - this is very high, my task manager shows me a memory usage of usually between 5-8GB.
I know I should upgrade to 32GB of memory (which I eventually will) but should this memory exhaustion not be prevented by that big swap file?

I did upgrade my memory to 32Gb when I saw that it was at 97% usage. No issues since then. The only CTD’s I ever got was the VFR map CTD in the beginning.

A game should not be crashing with 16GB of RAM. Something’s gone completely wrong in the last week or two. I’ve had zero issues up until now (aside from all the aircraft systems issues) and now it’s unplayable.

In the beginning, the game never crashed. It has been doing that since the latest patch or the patch before. Usually with a big swap file this should also be no problem, should it? And i also thing 16GB should not make the game CTD.

1 Like

With only MSFS, LNM (331Mb), and my own Check List program (1.6Mb) loaded I am currently using 18.1Gb of ram. Like everyone else, I am on the current version (1.12.13.0). It is what it is…

Unless I am wrong (others will know better) if a program needs more than the available ram, it will create memory usage via your hard drive/ssd, which sometimes can be unstable and can cause issues.

Yeah, I think the latest update broke it. I’ve CTD 4 times today and given up for the time being. Rolled back to known working NVIDIA drivers and still having issues where I never had any before.

I do not think that it is a problem with the GPU-driver. I also thought it could be caused by graphic card drivers but then i found out that the “Resource exhaustion detector” event was created in the event log each time my sim crashed. In the applications tab i see that the game crashed but usually you do not see the cause for the crash. But my system log showed this resource problem entry at the exact timestamp of the crash. You can check your event log to find out if it is caused by a bad graphic card driver or the mentioned resource problem.

Same issues with me. Since around 2 weeks a go it’s crashing to desktop with Event Viewer saying Resource Exaustion Detector. This was never the issue before so something has changed in the game I would guess. I am also running on 16GB RAM.

you increased allready the windows virtual memory ?

Examples:

I already set the virtual memory size to 32GB but to no avail. It still crashes. Yesterday, i was departing from EDDN (with photogrammetry scenery) and my task manager said 11GB used for MSFS. When I switch photogrammetry off, it is much less usage. But with a swap file of 32GB it still crashed.

also tried the mentioned network relevant settings ( first link: AI and live traffic off ) ?

PS.: can you made a screenshot of your virtual memory settings. Like in second linked thread is important to know what windows set as “current allocated size”

Currently allocated are 32GB as I set it.

ah… thanks… you set Min/Max same…

You have any kind of mod installed ?

I do not. Prior to the latest update, i had no issues with any crashes. And yes, i set 32GB min and max so it will always have 32GB assigned.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.