CTD With AI Traffic Enabled

I couldn’t find any specific post about this so I thought I’d start a specific topic for it. I keep receiving random CTDs when AI Traffic (not online) is enabled. The crash is sporadic but always results in the same event log entry.

I have confirmed this issue by a simple process of elimination (i.e. trying a number of flights with it on, and a number of flights with it off)

I sent in a ticket but received the same canned response as always. What’s irritating is that this error occurs on a completely fresh installation of Windows 10, with all the latest updates and drivers, with no game mods installed, and I’ve even tried it on a number of computers with exactly the same results.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

I was having this for weeks. Removing all AI traffic did indeed fix the problem.

Currently I’m wrestling with a new issue: how to get the sim to read the new traffic file I created in AIFP3. I haven’t seen any of my from-scratch traffic anywhere.

I wonder if it’s a CPU issue. Since AI traffic are CPU-intensive process. an error on the CPU trying to process the AI traffic might lead to the CTD.

Maybe this will help.

Although I’m confident that post will help, it is not the end users responsibility (or our right under license) to modify the core game to make it work. Microsoft or Asobo should address this issue directly.

There is a workaround available. Offline AI Traffic Fix
I have not tried it because I leave AI Traffic off all the time

Again, this is a direct modification of core files which is a breach of the software license. Although I’m sure it would work, end users should not have to go to such lengths to make a simple feature work correctly.

All of the “core files” in MSFS are encrypted. Nobody is “hacking” them. MS/Asobo has allowed end user and independent software companies to create add-ons and workarounds that are hooked into MSFS legally. The market for free and paid add-ones has exploded recently. I am grateful for the end users and the independent developers who spend their time trying to improve MSFS, either free or for sale.

Finally, the AI Traffic feature is not “simple”. It is probably one of the more complex parts of MSFS.

I agree that Asobo should be fixing the core issue, instead of user having to find workarounds by editing official folder files. I mean, if a user can fix it then Asobo surely can do the same on a permanent basis. It’s only badly formed AI traffic flight plans. but the inability for the system to cope with them, causing application instability, is a bug, in my opinion.

My understanding of this is that there is also something identified with SimConnect in relation to AI Traffic and that Asobo have been working on a fix for it. There are some details of it ion the forums and leads within the post I linked above.

AI Traffic has caused crashes for me. You seem quite against having to use the fix, understandably, but the fix above did help with my crashes (not completely but significantly!)

Since turning off AI traffic, which is now probably 2 weeks ago, I haven’t had a single CTD and I was getting several per day.

Same. But nearly for a month. The issue is, I can’t fly with them off forever. So, I hope they fix it for this update.

Then the also all these existing CTD threads, eg. the big one… or the “since 1.12.13.0”… or the much older ones :slight_smile:

Yes, they should address the issue directly. But they’re not, and I’m here. So if I have a choice between doing it myself to have it today, or waiting for someone else to do it to have it who knows when. Then I would choose to do it myself and have what I want today. Software license be damned. We bought the product, we can do whatever we want with our copy.

I agree but then I’d rather have no AI and no CTD’s than AI and CTD’s… but don’t tell Asobo that will you? :wink:

1 Like

what about Live traffic instead? I find Live traffic to be more stable. Offline AI traffic is a huge hit to CPU and FPS performance, Live traffic is fairly stable, AND you get to see actual liveries too (after tweaking a few things).

What live traffic? Everything is grounded :joy::joy:

Hence… more stable…

I had CTD’s with Everything. I tried turning different things off and let others on but sometimes it crashes anyway. So I decided to wait for the simconnect fix.

Hahah, I got CTD on the world map, every time… I have an empty community folder… I’m just waiting for the world Update so I can do a fresh install.

What happens with live traffic and ATC runway assignments. Just now a Tower gave me 16 even though wind was 330 at 15 (should have been opposite runway). I always seem to land with a tailwind when I leave it up to ATC