DC Designs F-15

I managed to fire up the F-15 C using the procedure for the first time in the 1.14_h mod. I’ve always had to use Ctrl-e before that. Haven’t tried 1.14_i as yet though.

I’m pretty sure that @DEAN01973 has all of this fixed for the next update he plans to drop in the next few days anyways.

@Viperguy324
Everyone should be able to cold start and turn off and on the plane as many times as they want, in a few days, with the official update release

1 Like

How much speed should this plane be able to build up at certain throttle levels. I’m currently cruising at 36000ft over the UK at 89% thrust with 1.14h and the thing seems to want to settle around 350ish IAS. That’s like airliner speeds. At near max. thrust without afterburners.

Cold and dark starts from an apron or hangar are indeed now working when starting the flight. MSFS is notorious around engine starts and shutdowns at the moment though, and I’ve found that shutting down an engine and re-starting sometimes works, and sometimes doesn’t :crazy_face: It’s all to do with MSFS getting confused with mixtures and ignitions that shut themselves off even when the aircraft doesn’t have them ( jets don’t have “mixture”, for instance ).

1 Like

You should look ktas, not IAS. And depending on fuel, and payload, you should be able to reach 2.3+

Don’t think the F-15 is capable of super cruise (i.e. supersonic speeds in level flight on military power without afterburners/reheat) so what you’re seeing seems about right to me. I’m not an F-15 expert but that’s certainly the case with the F-16 Viper.

1 Like

So I am currently on 1.14i in a F-15C with only 25% in the internal1.

As you can see my TAS is 562kt but indicated is 357 on the exterior shot. Looks like jack posted a pic as well to show.

A lot depends on your weight, if you are heavy, you may require afterburners to maintain higher altitudes, but at the same time you probably wont be reaching 2.5 mach. Only with light fuel can that be achieved.

1 Like

Also, @DUKE7483958 I believe is right, and that’s how we modeled the flight model and engines. To what we could find, the F-15 is not a super cruise capable jet. Meaning it does not cruise above mach 1.0 without the use of afterburners. The last 5% before afterburners was set up to be roughly MIL thrust range and should get you to just below mach 1.0 without AB at all altitudes. In 1.14h(afterburners 80-100% throttle) i believe the MIL thrust range was 75-79% throttle, and in 1.14i it is 85%-89% with afterburners from 90-100%. The engine mapping is the same, just the placement of the afterburner was moved in the most recent. Hope that makes more sense of what is going on.

2 Likes

@SilentG37 you are correct about the F-15, it is NOT a super cruise aircraft. There is a slim chance that maybe the F-15 EX could get close to Mach 1 without afterburners since the new engines to be used add around 6,000 pounds of thrust each.

Dumb question, where do I find the mod for the F-15? I am really thinking of buying it and the default aircraft is going to drive me insane.

Do it tomorrow, we can mod it more if needed. Please. Thanks

The only problem you will have with this plane/jet, for me limited time but now its the only one I fly.

In terms of the flight- and engine model I fully agree to CodenameJack447, DUKE7483958, and SilentG37.
Rev. ‘dcdesigns-aircraft-f15_rev_1.14_i’ comes very close to reality, especially upon last changes of AB vs. throttle.
This night I seached the Net in terms of AB control. It’s mentioned at some places that the AB can be used in steps. For the Eurofighter EJ-200 engine I found out that the AB fuel nozzles are being activated from the inner to the outer. But nothing about AB control. It’s for sure the throttle lever on its last part of travel. I never saw in any panel a gauge for AB stages, only an AB on/off lamp in the Mirage III C. At real fighter aircraft I never recognized a difference in th AB flame.

Hi guys,

watch this video from an actual fighter pilot speaking about AB on the F-16 and the different “rings” or stages lighting up:

Details at around 7:30 mins into the video.

happy flying
Stephen

yeah the picture shows an F-35, but he speaks about a block 40 F-16 :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

Jack, what have you done to this Jet?? It’s fantastic!

Very interesting video. He explains that the rings of fuel nozzles are being lighted sequentially, and his feeling about this. This may be necessary due to thermal or pressure reasons inside the engine. To me it stays unclear whether the sequential lighting of the rings is controlled by the Pilot or by the engine control unit (ECU). My personal feeling: It’s done by the ECU. If the pilot kicks the AB, he needs full power.
For Jack this would mean, the implemenation in ‘rev_1.14_i’ is fine.

The merit is not only mine. The truth is that I am surrounding myself with a great team and testers. You are all being very enthusiastic, showing your patience and enjoying each update and providing feedback. We are collecting all the info we can from each Eagle and we are implementing it within the possibilities that the simulator allows. This allows us to correct errors and make improvements while having fun at the same time, which is just as important. That is, it is everyone’s merit.

I also tell you that this could not be done without such a good base product. It may stumble upon launch, but I think it is normal with a new simulator, especially if you are a single person developing at all levels. Having provided help to Dean, having divided the work between several people, has made the Eagles evolve faster.

You are going to be pleasantly surprised with what Dean has prepared. But both we (@SilentG37, @SeverusAviaton and me) and Dean, we are not going to settle. Where it can be improved, it will be improved.

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi, there are 2 ways to control reheat/AB. Pilot controls the fuel and the nozzle follows or pilot controls the nozzle and the fuel follows. Early reheat systems had stages of reheat ie Full 3/4 1/2 1/4. Modern systems are fully variable between min and max reheat. This is monitored on the nozzle position indicator and when reheat is selected the nozzle opens. Reheat causes a massive pressure increase in the jet pipe and the pressure differential across the turbine is maintained by controlling the nozzle area. Remember it is the main engine which is keeping the aircraft in the air providing electrics, hydraulics etc as well as powering the reheat fuel pump. Lose the main engine and reheat irrelevant. If the differential pressure across the turbine goes out of limits the reheat will shut down and nozzle will close to restore dry thrust. Same if a reheat flame out occurs .
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
thank you very much for all the work.
The plane is fabulous, I’ve been flying with it every time since the last 14.i: wink: so awesome mod.
But when I use AB the HUD doesn’t show me speed info, nothing.
I stop AB, brake and the speed reappears.
I look forward to the next official update.

the example is on F15D with the last udapte 1-14_i.

Thank’s all for this hard job.

Hey, olaf, could you take some screenshots which show the problem you are expriencing?

thank you