Decreased aircraft airspeed in cloud

There is at least one topic on this, but it is not getting much traction despite being very easy to replicate. I’m talking about actual aircraft performance, not system (FPS), and it doesn’t make a difference if there are icing conditions or not.

I’ve filed a zendesk ticket, excerpt below:

When flying through clouds, airspeed reduces by at least 10 knots compared to the airspeed when not in the clouds. Occurs in both icing and NON icing conditions.

In real life, in non icing conditions, there is no noticeable airspeed difference when flying through clouds.

If having the same issue, please vote.

I’ve never had this issue with the A/C I’ve flown in the sim. Which single or multiple aircraft are you having problems with? Any possibility it’s related to carburetor icing if you’re in the appropriate A/C?? I’d like to try and replicate.

I tried four different flights the other day to try and replicate this issue, using four different areas of the world, in full overcast in conditions up to freezing temperatures, and couldn’t replicate it.
It may be harder for ASOBO to replicate this as well.

It’s very easy to replicate, use a C208. It does not seem to affect all aircraft, but the effect on the C208 is marked and consistent, fly into cloud 10kt+ reduction to IAS.

2 Likes

Which aircraft were you using? I’ve seen it with the c208 and baron.

Actually the 208 was the plane I tried, as it was the plane the other poster had used.
So it seems like you aren’t the only one, but it doesn’t affect everyone!!

Using live weather or preset?

All test used preset - I never thought about a difference with live weather, I’ll give that a try
Good Point.

If you really want to see it clearly, find a place that is partly cloudy. You can watch the speed drop and pickup as you fly in and out of them.

1 Like

hmm my 208 speed drop was with live weather

Yes, I fly Cessna 208 a lot and can confirm that airspeed definitely drops in the clouds with Live Weather for no apparent reason other than being in the clouds.

Bumping this as it seems the latest update still did not address. Quite disappointing really, this reduces airspeeds by 20 knots, makes general aviation flying unrealistic.

It wasn’t supposed to.
It was a World Update, not a Sim Update.
World Updates are mostly scenery related improvements, and a few show-stopper bug fixes.
Sim Updates are usually fixes and modifications, etc.
I have read a few posts is here stating that ASOBO is doing a major upgrade on their larger aircraft which could be out with Sim Update 3 in March.

It still had minor flight dynamic fixes. Right now I’d settle on them just acknowledging it’s a bug.

1 Like

They do monitor these forums a lot.
I’m very sure they are well aware of it, even though they haven’t said anything.

I’ve commented on this before and filed a zendesk ticket. It’s easy to replicate using custom weather. All that’s needed is to fly level and introduce overcast layer at the same altitude.

What’s very odd is, if the showcase camera is moved outside of the cloud the airspeed will recover even though the plane is still in the clouds. Of course moving the camera back in clouds will cause airspeed loss again.

That is odd. Certainly points to a glitch rather than a feature of the clouds.

Of those who tested this: What speed are you exactly looking at? IAS? TAS? GS?
Could it be that it’s just the IAS that changes but GS remains the same?
I’m not sure but could it be that due to moisture in the clouds the IAS could actually drop? Just a wild guess if there might be an explaination for this but without knowing about which speed you’re talking it’s hard to tell.

No, it’s all of them. The 208 is losing about 10kts in clouds.

I have some additional findings with this, please try and see if you can replicate. This appears to be a camera issue. When your in the cloud with the lost airspeed, switch your view to “showcase”. Now in the drone, move the drone down or up to get out of the cloud. As soo as the drone is out of the cloud, you’ll see the airspeed increase to where it should be. You may need an external program such as Little Nav Map to see this in action.