Disappointed in Sim Update 5

Agreed. I also think about all the countless enthusiasts who have created content for FREE and posted it on dedicated websites like flightsim.to . Liveries, scenery, planes, avionics mods, …

Most of this work is rendered useless by SU5.
I get that updates can break things.

I don’t understand why they didn’t do a proper beta program with proper documentation and incentives to allow third party developers to prepare for SU5 and release updated mods on time for everybody to keep enjoying their sim without breakage.

The sudden extinction of all these mods does not make a ton of sense from a customer experience or developer relations standpoint.

5 Likes

As I understand it the proof of concept pitch to MS was using FSX with bing maps satellite images. Therefore the sim had a pc game already as it’s core. They have been building on that ever since.

Sure, I suppose they could have ported that directly to Xbox, but releasing to a PC sim audience in advance has provided a year of revenue and free testing.

As for VR? Well, even War Thunder has VR. If your sim doesn’t do VR or headtracking then…

Have they spent much time optimizing for VR? It doesn’t really seem so.
Have they made any effort to provide multi-monitor support? That keeps getting pushed further down the roadmap.
Headtracking support seems to have taken a step back with SU5 also as I have had more issues with TrackIR since 27/07 than all previous issues since I first installed combined.
(I maybe had 2 disconnects in all the time previously. Since 27/07 I get them quite frequently.)

3 Likes

BINGO! You’re exactly right.

Welp, I finally had time to update and do a quick test flight.

• Sim stutters whenever I turn my head (TrackiR) and it’s nearly unplayable

• Trees are grainy and seem to be kind of reflective now?

• MASSIVE cloud downgrade

• Bodies of water have a weird glow around them

• very little FPS gain that I’ve noticed (need to test in more areas maybe?)

• Landing gear deployed on their own when I went to idle power?!?

• Lighting and sim colours seem… odd now

I’m at a loss for words on this one… just terrible and I’ll be holding off spending any more money on this sim until things improve.

18 Likes

Same here. Why bother spending money when Asobo comes in after you and breaks things.

1 Like

That’s the word I was looking for.

5 Likes

If this Sim’s trajectory is continued this sim is going nowhere …

The stutter , LOD problems and just the continues dumbing down of the sim , The PC sim community is just ignored , 3rd Party developers have not had a proper SDK , the weather has been broken for a year , Now this update the Altitude is wrong , so no online flight is impossible - " But VATSIM is one of your partners "
I was one of the testers , so without saying to much “NDA and all” most of the complaints was raised but ignored . .

You can go broke buying hardware for this sim , and the experience just get worse on every update …
So with a heavy heart I hang up my rudder pedals
Yours truly Flightsimmer of 20 + years

5 Likes

So they knew and went ahead anyways.
Wow.

2 Likes

The other day, just a few before the SU 5, when I spoke out that DX12 is not coming to pc version with xbox release, as promised, I’ve been muzzled by masobo defenders here in the forums.

It’s long been a reality sadly that DX12 had been postponed until an indefinite date.

1 Like

The worst is how enthusiast PC hardware is used or to say it better: ignored. The sim is down to the worst usage of RAM and VRAM ever:
Screenshot 2021-07-29 102849

It’s like it is only using Xbox spec, no matter what you have installed. Overall graphics options are downgraded to make middle settings the new ultra. I got much better image quality and fps before SU5 in VR. They “balanced” it for the worst…
On ultra settings i would expect to see RAM usage like ~32GB, the best way to prefetch all kinds of data to unburden the CPU. The same goes for VRAM, 12GB should be used at least…

16 Likes

I also had problems and could not start the game. I deinstalled the simulator and loaded it fresh from the shop. This doesn’t even go longer than the update and it solves any problems . Even the commumnity
folder will be emptied. You have to replace most mods anyway.

I just got a CTD by trying to drag and increase the size of the map window. This update is unacceptable.

I’ve wasted 30 minutes performing a cold and dark start up and taxiing to the runway only for this to happen.

Will not be touching this simulator for a while.

4 Likes

A few months ago, I tried with everything on LOW and MEDIUM, graphics settings, including the resolution.
Instead of 3840 x 2160, i tried some lower resolution
( Just did some tests )
Even with Low / Medium, it was much much better than it is now.
Clouds, scenery, trees, everything…

1 Like

Exactly what I noticed, now VR with a 3090 reminds me of Super Mario in Nintendo 64 many years ago, totally cartoonish. To achieve this kind of degradation for maximum fps it was possible to lower the settings to minimal but even then it probably looked better before than the current “high” settings.

4 Likes

I’ve done a 360 on this patch, but I wouldn’t go that far. While yes I’ve sorted my issues. I wouldn’t say they have absolutely no responsibility in that sense. They must absolutely do WAY more in order to ensure 3rd party add-ons dont cause crashes (which is something they can do by the way). Not only this. But they lack SIGNIFICANTLY in messaging surrounding how directly addons are and can cause CTDs. They own this code, and honestly could have implemented backstops which at the bare minimum track which addons are causing issues in the code and implement features which serve this information to the user. And for that I place the blame on MS. This is Asobo’s first sim, MS should have emphasized how important error handling would be due to addons. But hey, corps gonna corp.

And you Never had a single CTD?

Yes, but not yet on PC.

Notice how they messed up the clouds. :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

I confirm, the VR experience is worst then before. Under SU4 sometime i have stuttering but the graphic quality was good and the fps too (in a certain way) but with the SU5 the graphic quality is horrible (I can’t see what is written in the instruments).

Running good under SU4 with a GTX 1070. Now isn’t.
If someone know how to downgrade to SU4, don’t hesitate to tell us…

2 Likes

Yea its how they make a flight Sim for consoles, thanks asobo for that.

Paid a pc product and then get a console port, nice…

7 GB RAM on your picture, thats nothing. We probably wont have popped textures when they use like 13 or even more…

But then theres the xbox

3 Likes