Disappointing mountain terrain (in the alps and many other areas)

I agree - Especially the Gibraltar Rock (mountain), looks like dog S*£%. “hand made airport” which was very disappointingly made in a rush

1 Like

I agree with you. One of the few reasons I am still with Xplane is the way montains are depicted. Fly in real life in Switzerland (LSGE) and from the tarmac, we can see clearly the shape of some specific mountains in the prealps. Those are very distinctable and can be recognized in X-Plane (even version 11) when it is not the case in FS2020. You need to be very close to see the shape of the mountain changing. I cannot recognize those mountains from the ground in FS2020.

it is an important point when training on VFR Flights

2 Likes

I agree as well. MSFS is not suited for experiencing the Alps or other mountain ranges.
That is why I also still prefer Xplane. It’s a pitty that Asobo/Microsoft obviously are not interested in improving the situation.

They clearly are though, which is one of the many reasons they’re doing FS2024.

1 Like

Would be very welcome… as well as replacing bing by google earth (which has got the best flight simulator for experiencing mountain ranges). :wink:

1 Like

Going by what we’ve been told and what we’ve seen from the trailer the landscape is going to look far, far better up close and far away in FS2024. As a keen helicopter pilot in the sim I can’t wait to see how it all comes together.

Just had a look at the trailer again. IMHO mountains in some distance look the same as before.The rocky ground for the rescue operations is possibly limited to specific areas.
We’ll see. At present the Matterhorn still jumps out of the ground at a distance of about 20 miles… Incredible…

As the original poster, I disagree. Since I started this post in August 2020, a lot has been improved. Switzerland, and many other countries with mountains, recieved world updates and most of the time, these updates drastrically improved the terrain. I would even say that Switzerland now has the best terrain/DEM of all countries in the sim.
At least when you have the terrain setting slider above 200 or even at 300/400.

However, there is still a lot of room for improvement. And from what we have seen from MSFS 2024, that version should get a lot better terrain.
Of course, that’s the future… and they will have to deliever… right now it’s just promises. But I’m optimistic, from what we have seen so far of MSFS 2024.

1 Like

Ah, o.k. As I started to use the MSFS only last year, I can judge just the present situation. Indeed the scenery looks already quite nice with a terrain LoD well above 200. But Xplane (with Orthos!) still looks way better.

My “Matterhorn” issue is obviously caused by a photogrammetic scenery. Deactivating removes the “jump out of the ground” effect.

hi there,
have been reading this topic after @DementedCorn327 recommended it to me, due to my bug report …

do you think this topic could/should be linked or is it a different issue?
I have noticed these grey tiles more and more the last months.

anyhow, managing mountains is crucial, and a lots of issues has been talked about here in the topic.