Discuss on Aerial/Ground times issues

This could easily be solved (well… relatively that is) with some decent coding work. I would first install a condition gate, comparing the average color of the tiles that are to be swapped. If the color difference is more than 10%, disregard the new tile, leave the old one in place.
Yes, you will have a performance penalty, sure, but i dont think it will be that bad… besides im also pretty sure this could be done server-side.
Also i would make the new tiles fade in, instead of pop in. Im pretty sure the gpu provides for this as many games have all kinds of things fading in and out constantly. Implementing those simple fixes would resolve the issue in 95% of the instances. Compare the colors… and make the tile FAAADE in brother! not pop in… faaaaadeeee in…

1 Like

TOLOWTERRAIN…great post. Your proposed solution sounds great, until the problem can be properly fixed. The fading in of texture would be a welcome relief.

I really hope this issue gets resolved soon - it’s the single biggest immersion killer for me at the moment, drives me mad watching the checker board pop in and out around me while flying…

1 Like

I find the tile popping to be a quite a bit more than mildly annoying.

4 Likes

This is what I’ve got going on. It appears ahead of me, disappears behind me. It’s BETTER imagery, too. Why does it disappear? Driving me nuts. I’m in the SU15 Beta (in other words, this is not getting fixed by SU15 somehow. Baffles me that this isn’t a priority for them.)

Edit: Well that was odd. I just went into drone cam and back to cockpit, and now the tiling issue has gone away in all views. Still makes me wonder: Which tiles are the “right” tiles? They’re very different. I assume one is older and one is newer data, strange that it doesn’t just get replaced. It’s almost like a z-indexing issue.

1 Like

that is horrible
the scenery in MFS has become one giant pile of glitches one on top of the other… glitch after glitch after glitch,
it worked better 3 years ago!

6 Likes

Yep the scenery is so bad now with all this tile swapping. And frankly, still the only reason to use MSFS is the visuals. It’s nowhere near as accurate as XPlane/P3D. So without the visuals it’s pointless to use. I’m amazed this hasn’t been fixed, but instead we get some fictional aircraft from a movie.

2 Likes

Exact opposite of what was said in last dev stream. Said they knew the cause was a cache issue. Now this… This bug has gotten massively worse. Seems anytime Bing maps gets updated for an area, the tile overlay popping issue crops up. Various places all over the world. Seems to me Asobo has given up fixing this on a global scale and will only address a small fraction of areas in Europe. Meanwhile all of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona are covered in this issue. Such a joke.

3 Likes

EAL92…The good folks at Asobo knew, and know that the delivery of the Earth faithfully rendered, with fidelity, would propel MSFS into the huge success it is.

There are over 900 posts of this checkerboard tile mess in the bug reporting sub forum.

Asobo, please don’t leave the sim like this. It was a real joy for thousands of us, but now the dream of flight is turning into a nightmare. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

If they think this problem is only exclusive to one or two areas then we really are in trouble and this problem will be here to stay. is happening anywhere and everywhere but oddly some days ok then others…… comes back!

6 Likes

Yep happening everywhere basically now. Happens in the UK where it never used to happen. It needs to be sorted asap.

1 Like

Bing maps is progressively changing their imagery data. Thats why we see it in more and more locations every day. And the game’s code didnt consider that. It should be fixable if the proper decision is made by management.

3 Likes

Per my research and evaluations, there are only two Bing maps that change depending on the day of the week! There is an old one that we are all used to and there is a new one that has been introduced to the Sim a few months ago and sometimes it shows up! I have created a bug report for new Bing maps that I am hoping everyone will report this bug there and vote for it. The new Bing map is not implemented correctly as the base in still the old one, autogen generation is based the old one and the background in distance is still the old one so you see blocky texture development in the distance. Hope Asobo clarifies what’s happening and why the new Bing map got introduced so poorly and why is it going back and forth with the new/old Bing maps!

3 Likes

Poretta Bastia used to be our ‘Test’ Airport using Orbyx scenary but now it’s been invaded by ‘Pop up the Pirate’. We’ve used the recommended remedies to solve the issue but to no avail.
Sometimes there’s no problem and we set up a flight but then Pop Up raises his ugly head and we scratch our’s.

Strange. The only fixed places to me are Malta and Montenegro coast. Well, have to check southern France, but Corsica is still a pop-in fest around Ajaccio and other major airports.

This is unacceptable now. They said they have a fix in place so why not fix it?!!!
The fact that the beta still has this issue surely leaves no doubt that it won’t be fixed after the final implementation of SU15. Someone please tell me I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Terrible. This needs sorting asap.

7 Likes

This has been ongoing for over 18 months - no updates, no progress and the problem has steadily got worse. I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for a fix. I imagine buying 2024 will be the answer…

4 Likes

What assurance do we have that it’ll be fixed in MSFS2024.

I have seen the promos and thew (Asobo) are appealing to the “gamers” not the “simmers”.

I’m not currently confident that the issues (and there many) that were in MSFS2020
will be fixed in the next issue.

Until Asobo comes out and addresses thses issues I’ll be sitting on the fence as to
spending hard eared cash on another buggy program.

5 Likes

I just purchased the MagMexico Monterrey airport scenery and I can’t fly there because the ground tiles pop in very badly. Total waste of money! Please Asobo, fix this issue!!!