Discussion: April 8th, 2021 Development Update

This week’s development update has been released:

Use this thread to discuss the Development Update

2 Likes

Heading increment bug, plaguing yokes with always on switches (e.g. Honeycomb Alpha) delayed to unknown date in 2021 :frowning:
Most VR wishes (but two) - not started :frowning:
Coastline glitch introduced by US World Update - release date unknown (TBD) :frowning:
Mirrored 787 textures - fix not planned :frowning:

14 Likes

@Jummivana These updates don’t acknowledge the trending issues and I don’t believe it represents the community. Can we get a real update - such as an acknowledgement of the CTD issues and VR performance issues (generalised, head movement shudder, exterior visuals)? No one knows if they’re related to FS2020, Windows, Nvidia etc or if/when we can expect fixes.

13 Likes

Has Sim Update 4 now moved out of April or is it being included in WU4? It’s not on the development roadmap.

1 Like

^This. At this point for some (many?) the title has turned into a MS Crash Simulator rather than anything else. I believe that in the last 30 days alone there are a 100 votes or so in the main CTD discussion, not to mention dozens of similar votes distributed over random threads. If this isn’t the biggest trend of all (which would subsequently require the highest attention) then I don’t know what it is.

4 Likes

It’s actually turned into the blurry ground and distance textures simulator for me. It would be nice if they would give us some control over these graphics because my game looks terrible with good hardware and internet.

9 Likes

I really like the recent updates to the snapshots, with more detail and in which updates they are planned (if split up in multiple updates as an example).

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

SimUpdate 4 is now ‘‘combining’’ with World Update 5 more info next work

Imo, VR is not a priority … is stupid move from MS/Asobo have release this before fix the core

The Mirrored 787 textures in not a issue

3 Likes

Will anything be fixed with WU4 or is it simply an eye candy update? nothing in the top list says anything about WU4 except regional LOD fixes which is quite self-explanatory.

I don’t see any priority given to actual bugs.

7 Likes

Normally they interleave between sim update and world update. In one month, sim update updates the sim and creates bugs…next month, world update is eyecandy and fixes those bugs from sim update and creates other ones which are fixed next month, at sim update). It is a cycle!

3 Likes

World updates are world updates. Sim updates are bug fix updates.

And before you say ‘they should focus on bug fixes’, the people working on world updates (artists, Bing team) are not the same people working on the bugs.

7 Likes

I’m in the WU4 beta testing group. I’m under NDA so I cannot say anything but I will remark that patience is necessary for all of you. Mort is right; they are working on what they can. These people are hardworking human beings who try their best. As a tester, all I can say is it’s a great experience. The devs do care about issues, contrary to popular opinion. They just take time, I suppose.

29 Likes

Didn’t Asobo say the issue that causes the heading increment bug would be fixed last update? And after that was delayed, didn’t a highly respected 3rd party developer kindly say they would fix the issue for Asobo, but Asobo said they would have it done in WU4? Now it’s delayed again and there is no timeline other than “2021”…

Come on Asobo. You have a partnership with Honeycomb and your coding prevents their hardware from working properly. That’s just messed up. If you can’t fix it, let someone else do it.

8 Likes

Will WU4 be rolled out next Tuesday? That was stated in the previous development update. In this one it says it’s Thursday (15th).

Looking forward to it!!!

Need to see the 10 degree bug with honeycomb fixed ASAP instead of dragging it out.

3 Likes

They should focus on bug fixes. They’ve obviously made a conscious decision to worry more about the visuals than they do about the core sim. Saying they have 2 different teams so they are doing what they can is a poor argument. They could give more resources and hire programmers if it would help to the coding team if they wanted that to be a priority. Now it is completely up to Asobo and I personally won’t question their business decision on this matter. People don’t have to like it but it is the decision they have made.

4 Likes

so you’re suggesting they sack the Bing-team and artists, and hire bug-fixers instead? Nice of you that you’re willing to fire people.

The way I see it, let the Bing team and artists work on what they’re good at, and maybe get some more people on the bug-fixing team.

It’s not a zero-sum problem. People should really stop treating it as such.

13 Likes

Folks like me who are affected by the 10-degree heading bug with the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo can work around it using third party input management apps like FSUIPC or spad.next. I switched to spad.next a week or so ago and it’s fantastic – works around this and several other problems, lets me switch bindings based on aircraft without manual intervention, and allows configuring switches to send multiple commands, or commands only at switch time rather than continuously.

I recommend you try one or the other, you’ll probably find it’s a good experience and well worth the registration cost. (There may exist such apps that are gratis as well - I haven’t checked and don’t really care as I prefer to support working programmers who have done labor for me with my money!)

1 Like