Discussion: January 21st, 2021 Development Update

Glad it’s delayed no point rushing it out if it’s not ready.
Also loved the aerodynamics video.
When an update is out for the sdk can a comment be added on the sdk update section to say update is out please.
So I assume the SDK update isn’t out yet as still wants to install the last version.

1 Like

Consider postponing the UK update till the summer. It’s always gloomy and raining here so you won’t see anything much till then anyway :laughing:

Nice update, thanks to all involved. Enjoyed the aerodynamics video. I know there are some areas for improvement but looks like a great amount of progress is being made! Curious to know when those updates will release; presumably with the next Sim Update which will be several weeks away. Always more things to look forwards to!

I also wonder if the UK update will include some long-awaited building additions such as churches based on the OSM data, and airfield fixes (both additions and removals), or whether such changes will be done globally over time, rather than regionally. Guess we’ll wait and see :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im famous!

Seriously, great video!
Glad to see that Asobo are reading the feedback we gives.
Thx all for your work

13 Likes

Hi Jayne,

While removing the fixed items, what about this:

[VR] Dev Q&A and Feedback Snapshot: please make a VR only category

I believe it is important to introduce a VR specific feedback snapshot,

In the Q&A and devblog snapshots, there are lots of entries for the simulator in general listed by number of votes. However I believe the number of VR users is far less than the number of simulator users and most VR specific wishlist items might never get enough votes to be listed, despite they are as important to VR only, like “Cockpit Size and World Scale”, as some others are important to 2D only like “Multiple Screen”.

UK & Ireland The craic will be mighty lads !

5 Likes

We have something coming regarding that :wink:

5 Likes

I hope to see some improvements to the flight model soon, compared to the rest of the sim it seems to be the feature that has fallen behind the most. Rudder + pitch effectiveness, roll inertia, ground handling and turbulence could do with some tweaking.

1 Like

Watch the video looks like they have worked on the flight model and mention everything you said.

1 Like

Is there a date for the aerodynamic changes mentioned in the video to be implemented in the simulator?

Thanks to today’s third party update, my issue with ORBX KTIW and Pilot Plus EGTB clashing with each other resulting in CTD is now 100% solved by installing today’s marketplace update for EGTB! Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would rather wait a week if it means looking better, good job guys, from an avid UK simmer👍, just hoping my city of Sheffield is going to be one of the photogrammetry cities

Also it looks like the clouds are going to be sorted in February update, something worth waiting for too! :grinning:

2 Likes

Great update and loved the video!!!

I don’t see the point behind altering the control surface stops as explained in the aerodynamics video. Can’t do that in real life so why in the sim? The wear and tear option is great, we can finally set 0 wear and accurately compare aircraft performance with the published AFM.

Also curious what this has to mean:

A spin is not caused by “one wing being stalled and not the other” in a spin, both wings are stalled, the inner wing has a larger angle of attack (more stalled) compared to the outer wing. The difference in drag (more stalled = more drag) keeps the aircraft yawing, the difference in lift (more stalled = less lift) keeps the aircraft rolling. Still, both wings are stalled!

Skybrary: Spin - SKYbrary Aviation Safety

Lots of talks about propwash, great that this is simulated. What about slipstream effect on the vertical stabilizer, p-factor, gyroscopic effects etc.? Those are important to truely make a prop plane feel like a prop and not a jet (i.e. constant rudder input required for coordinated flight depending on speed and power setting).

Future improvements will be regarding flap pitching moments, how about the wing downwash angle on the horizontal stabilizer. I could be wrong but I don’t have the feeling this is currently simulated (accurately if at all). This is really important for proper flap related pitching moments and ground effect simulation.

Also 6000 combined flight hours is really not that much… I nearly have that myself, I could join and double the Asobo combined flight experience :joy:.

8 Likes

Hello. It’s curious, the simulator does not offer me updates at launch. Is this normal? Thank you in advance.

The update hasn’t happened yet.

‘Development Update’ does not equal ‘Update’ in the world of MSFS

2 Likes

see closely 7:52, and 7:58 - new options for aircrafts

Curious. Thanks a lot !

It’s great to see the team is so hard at work. Can’t wait to fall out of the sky more realistically. :smiley:

Is this meant to be part of the world update, or the sim update?

1 Like

the latter

If I may be so bold!

I suppose it’s too late to mention Newcastle (EINC) airfield in Ireland. It’s a very popular destination for pilots flying over the Irish Sea from the UK and Europe. Its a small GA Airfeild and hosts many famous aerobatic champions from time to time, including some RAF and FAF vets. It’s right on the east cost of wicklow Ireland where many UK and European pilots love to visit in the summer. It’s Very picturesque with the Wicklow mountains on one side and the Irish Sea on the other.

They are known for their friendliness. When visitors fly over they are given the red carpet treatment. Hotels booked, luggage and AC secured, cars supplied, all for free. And of course they arrange a “ShinDig” in the local pub for any willing visitors, so they get to meet the local pilots and characters.

They have had a bad time of it recently due to the covid and flooding, and the temporary closure of the flight school. Students will drive across the country to train for their PPL there, as its renowned for its Profetional training and instructors.

The members and owners are at their Witts-end as they have put they’re harts and soles into the Airfeild over the years. I thought I’d try and convince you to put it in with a little more detail and cheer up the members that fly from there. It would be a welcome surprise for them and may cheer them up.

Most of them have taken up flight simulator since its release and are quite amazed!

Anyway, I thought Id ask. know its probably too late, but god loves a trier!

I can provide 4K pictures for reference at the drop of a hat.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes