Discussion: November 19th, 2020 Development Update

I understand not wanting to open the weather system to developers, but at the least make it possible for developers to query any airport’s weather from the sim. There are many applications that need to acquire weather data from anywhere in the world, not to change the weather, but to provide wx data to the application. I’m referring to flight planning apps, aircraft FMCs/radar, and ATC applications.

The world map allows for planning, but once inside the sim, there is no means for ACARS to provide wx reporting and no means for online ATC controllers to know the sim’s weather. If VATSIM is a partner, how are they going to obtain sim weather so proper guidance can be provided to the sim pilot?

When the request was to open the weather system to developers, it doesn’t specifically refer to developers that want to change the weather (HiFi Sim or REX) but to other aspects of how developers work with the sim’s weather. To say Not Planned is a mistake for the future vitality of the sim.

8 Likes

For me it clearly shows that they need to work on weather. The clouds, especially in the last pic are fare away from looking realistic. Right now it seems that they are trying to form different cloud types from normal cumulus clouds. They really need to bring other cloud types (all the different stratus/ cirrus etc.) into the sim for more realism.
Another problem is that the visibility is unlimited most of the times. So aerosols/ reduced visibility due to humidity is another important thing to fix.

3 Likes

And I clearly think it doesn’t. Each to their own right?

Wait, is that the only item listed for update 7? Is that one of the sim updates?

Update 7 is with World Update 2 on Tuesday. So no, don’t think it is Sim Update - that’s probably December

Definitely to each their own.

Some people would like to see cirrus clouds. Some want to see fog represented. Some people don’t want to see cumulus clouds rolling across the ground. Nor do they want to see lightning bouncing between a few small puffs in the sky. Some people can’t take off at high altitude airports because the temps are 20C to 30C hotter then they should be. Some people prefer to have ATC direct them to the runway with the headwind and not the tailwind. Some people expect ATIS to report the correct weather.

But if anyone is perfectly happy with the weather as it is, then definitely to each their own.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people are annoyed.
Noone’s quality of life is reduced by waiting some more time for helicopters.

For me, I know I bought a brand new flight simulator at a very early stage.
I do know about things still need to be improved and that’s okay.

So vice versa, I do really look forward to seeing all the features and world updates coming in the next months and years.
And I am very happy with the detailed information shared weekly by the devs.

8 Likes

Night lighting improvement that was earlier supposed to be a part of update 7 is surprisingly missing in yesterday’s blog. It doesn’t even appear on the list! Wonder if it has been dropped

4 Likes

Or removed from the list becuase it is fixed in the forthcoming update 7? There was a request to remove fixed items so that the next ones on the list would rise up - personally I would have done this after update 7 though.

1 Like

I don’t use helicopters in sims, but I can certainly understand the disappointment by those that do fly helicopters. This sim is the quintessential VFR helicopter environment. If bush pilots are having so much fun in the sim, just think what helicopter pilots could do with this sim. Asobo stated they want to do the helicopter flight model properly and that will take some time, but even I was surprised that it would be 2022.

Liked the interview with Jorg!

Also so much to look forward to, really happy to be in this journey!

where are the cirrus clouds? Has anyone seen them?

2 Likes

Uhm, the USA has about 250 photogrammetry locations out of a 350 locations worldwide?
50 In Europe and 50 in the rest of the world.

4 Likes

@ whoever is writing these devlogs.

I take it you read my criticism last week and tried to fix it. I’m happy with that.
But I just want to say you’ll bump in the same problem again.

Sure you added a lot of info and openness to the post, but now the dev updates will be 99% the same for the next 1 or 2 years?.. Listing the same wishes every update saying it will be fixed/added in 1 or 2 years.

I think you really need to consider starting to add pictures or text about the development progress of new features/bug fixes. That’s what makes it interesting. And hey, it’s free advertising and makes us feel even more involved. :wink:

1 Like

and this is pure example how someone with “little” knowledge
expresses his opinion…
This program seems to be SIMULATOR, so everything should be as real as it should be :slight_smile:
and this clouds needs more work to do…

2 Likes

What makes you think that?

Nice interview, interesting update also from a developer perspective. I’m looking forward

2 Likes

Where is there any mention of all the issues with flight plans? Extraneous waypoints, approaches, flight plans being changed, missing stars and sid’s? For those who fly alot I’m sure they are encountered on a fairly regular basis.

They have no interest in fixing this sorry to say. At least this is my impression. too many issues, too many tools are missing.
People like you are not the target audience. Passionate simmers, (ex) pilots etc better look elsewhere. Target I think is scenery.

I believe that except for Japan there are no PG areas outside of US and Europe. it is mostly US and a few countries in Europe.