Discussion: November 19th, 2020 Development Update

I agree with that

3 Likes

My guess is Sim Update 1 is the same as World Update #2, seeing all the updates in the next update for almost every item looks much like a core update is being done.

Edit: “Sim Updates are core updates that will be coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator.”

goodbye then. you wont be missed

Not sure your point. It’s also the most used space in flight sim.

And trains are a double edged sword. Look at X-Plane. There are trains in that game. They are very unrealistically EVERYWHERE. You cannot land at an airport near a train track that doesn’t magically spawn a train. I guess Laminar thinks that seeing a train everytime you’re near a track gives added immersion. Well, it doesn’t…LOL. Same with the police cars in X-Plane. They are everywhere. The X-Plane world is clearly a dystopian view of earth, with speeding police cares all over the place…LOL.

2 Likes

I don´t know.
I love MS2020, it´s a good game.
But, I need mod fore the G36 plane, I need a good mod for the G1000.
The weather ise´t “real world” that much…
The graphics are good and I love VFR “just fooling around”.
But for training, for me - I prefer Xplane 11 so far.
Basicly just for the G1000 is more accurate.

1 Like

I don’t mind the speed of the updates, seems quick and they are tackling a lot. I want them to hammer out bugs and make the game as stable as possible so I like their approach so far… But soon I would also like them to give PMDG a call and do whatever it takes to speed up the release of the 737 NG3.

We’re in agreement here and we’re looking at a multitude of ways to paint a clearer picture without going overboard. Overboard? In today’s world “You give an inch, they take a mile” is especially relevant. We want to give as much as information as we can, though - someone, somewhere can misinterpret, take what was said out of context or maybe that certain unprecedented things occured changing the timelines. Any of those aforementioned things can drive the “internet” in a downwards spiral of “but you said…”

With all of that said. We are trying to paint a clearer picture in a number of ways:

1. Jayne and myself being more visible and present to help fill in the information gaps
  2. You might have noticed a ‘Layover with the Devs’ (if proven useful we are looking to continue this bringing different members of the team to help illustrate the inner workings)

tldr; agreed and always looking for constructive ideas from the community

7 Likes

Appreciate your feedback Royal Tot, from my personal experience I can tell you that the decision between too much information vs not enough almost always results in not enough information being delivered to the end customer because it drives towards a environment of being too risk adverse. This can result in transparency issues and skepticism on the part of the end customer.

I’m trying to say this respectfully, but your charts can be improved in terms of figuring out where we are in the problem solving process. As you well know properly setting and managing expectations with the end customer is everything. I wasn’t happy with the CPU optimization episode from the last update, expectations were set on the video and then 4 days later or so the update comes out with no mention of what was said in the video, after that it takes almost two days to get a clarification. I’m skeptical as to why it was left out of the release notes, and why it took so long to get a clarification.

Rather than just be one of the legions here that tee up problems and don’t offer solutions I’d offer up to use the 6 step problem solving process https://uptakedigital.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000247813-Six-Step-Problem-Solving-Process as a way to enhance feedback and show progress on the charts. People who work in technical environments should be familiar with the process and it’s variations. And users reading the chart over successive updates can internalize a measure of velocity.

Sounds a bit like micro-managing to me

To be transparent: In a lot of ways this is a “■■■■■■ if you do and ■■■■■■ if you don’t” scenario. We’re fully aware of the mishaps of the previous updates and take ownership of them. Believe me when I tell you no-one is more frustrated than the team when these things fall through the cracks and we are working harder than ever to learn and improve.

Totally understand where you’re coming from. I was raised in an environment where the only good excuse is “no excuse.” What I will add is that we could have been clearer when setting that expectation. Perhaps this was due to English not being a native language or perhaps it was something else. I’m not offering this as an excuse but rather to illustrate that there was no ill intent.

Thank you for your feedback.

7 Likes

Thanks for replying. That was beyond my expectations even. :slight_smile:

I’ll just add that the games I bonded closest with are the game that gave the most info/updates in the devlogs on the progress of actual features. It really shows what you’re doing and why it may be taking longer than one would expect. It makes us involved. And the more info you give, the less you leave for interpretation. :slight_smile:

As a gamedev myself I choose to go for a full open approach, but I agree I’m on a very different scale.

Zooming in on the progress you made on a feature even if release is months away is nice to see. Especially if we’re going to end up with a major update every 3 months instead of every 4 weeks. :slight_smile:

I’d say pick a theme or 2-3, with major/favorite features you have for the upcoming sim update. Give updates on them. If you notice people are starting to dream too wild, make it clearer in the next update (as quickly as possible). A (bi-)weekly update on an item really shows what we should expect (if you gave enough info).
It’s really fun to follow, it’s free advertisement. And it allows us as a community to talk a bit sooner about what we like or do not like. Which allows the devs in turn to take action if possible.
What we see now is that the devs release something, and then half the community starts complaining that we should take a step back. :wink:

These clouds are maybe from Saturn or Neptune?

1 Like

I see no reason why it should be limited to a closed system, because even in an open system, you’re not forced to use third party addons.

I can wait until they sort the grainy looking clouds out

helicopters in 2022 :frowning: I’ll start pouring my Guinness…

3 Likes

Not kidding at all, 2021-2022 for multiple display support is exactly what they speciefied. Despite the fact they marked the development of this function as started. Apparently they need more than a year to implement this. Can’t believe. Seems to me like new manager took over and changed the priorities. Xbox will not support mtiple displays, but will support (?) VR. Just a guess.

1 Like

Xbox will not support VR from what we’ve seen. Hopefully we get an early implementation in early 2021

Wow… you would think other than crashes, bugs and performance issues, MM support would be a top priority. It/s not Monopoly, it’s a Flight Simulator.