Discussion + Poll: GOTY (1.21.13.0)

Stuck on decompressing mostly since the update came out. I’m only at ~86% completed. Download speeds are fine, but the decompression takes forever. I don’t remember it taking this long. Sucks I have to go back to work tomorrow :frowning:

It looks like the old “Live weather loads clear skies on second flight” bug is back - can anyone confirm that?

1 Like

I don’t have any live weather indeed, didn’t notice live weather on the first flight either.

get back to dx11 !!!

It seems as if live weather was completely down. I was able to load live weather about 2-3 hours ago, but not anymore. The old trick load clear skies and then switch to live weather isn’t working either.

We’re investigating reports of Live Weather being offline. We’ll post an update when we have more information.

16 Likes

ah maybe it’s just live weather breaking altogether then., I just checked, it loaded the clouds in EDDH and KORS once, now after a restart it doesn’t load clouds at either place anymore. :confused: The usual patch day servers hickup I guess.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Update stopped after 90% and return to desktop
Since then inable to launch the sim
I think I have no other option but re-installing the whole game
Very disappointed, never had a problem with an update before and very, very few CTD since Aug 20.

1 Like

From my end, all I can see is failure. My favourite aircraft has been ruined by glitchy textures (you can now see through the engine cowling in the Beech Baron, realism gone), and the new highly hailed weather system doesn’t work, in-sim weather does not match METAR as was promised, and now horrible abrupt weather transitions have been introduced, so one can be flying along in clear skies and then bang, fog everywhere, again, totally unrealistic and immersion killing. Some people reporting tree draw distance has been lowered yet again. You can’t move the world map without having to reset your mouse profile and lose all your bindings, still can’t adjust the time properly on the world map, and more, there are tonnes of bugs they still haven’t fixed. Every single update has made this sim worse. Instead of focussing on fixing the sim and actually improve it, we just get a bunch of toy airplanes for silly races.

9 Likes

Yah. My FPS dropped a lot as well. Had to turn down all my settings for the first time ever.

3 Likes

Mine went up!

Was in high 80’s and now in the 90’s with LOD 200 and everything on Ultra.

Dang, I’m trying the spotlight event, horrible load times for the landing challenge. And now I’m switched to offline mode, blaming my bandwidth. Too much for the servers as usual.

Internal server error 500

Yep, so so depressing.

1 Like

Ugh stop resetting my settings. After doing the spotlight event everything is back on EASY and the mouse doesn’t work again in the world map. Frustrating.

4 Likes

Probably, however what about their hardware specifications? Or their visual settings, the type of aircraft that they’re flying, the weather, the airport, use of online services, photogrammetry? There’s a ridiculous number of variables at play, please help the community instead of making assumptions.

1 Like

VR Feedback

Well, the controller support is out. It was my post that god 500+ votes and made it to #1 VR request, so I was really waiting for this. And it’s not a good job, unfortunately. The sim is completely grounded in VR after the SU7 update. Unplayable. And the controller support is very rudimentary and worse than older sims, and has introduced the bugs that killed the VR experience entirely. As updating is not optional, for most if not all VR users Asobo just killed the sim, period. Such bugs need to be figured out by QA and fixed before releasing a mandated update and killing the sim. It took me all of 15 minutes to see them all. What is their QA doing? Is there any QA for VR at all?

These are my observations from the first short session with SU7:

Good:

• Laser and direct control are working.
  • Rotational controls are working (kind of).
  • Controller image is small, unobtrusive and tasteful
  • There is haptic feedback when you touch the control

Bad:

• Huge FPS drop!!! I have a high-end PC - Ryzen 9 5900X / RTX3080 / 64Gb RAM / HP Reverb G2 - and from “barely adequate” on mostly medium settings at WMR OpenXR rendering at 70% and game render scale at 100% TAA it got to the vomit-comet on the same settings as before, unable to maintain even 22.5FPS anymore (which it was easily maintaining before), so motion reprojection falls apart. A lot of stuttering that weren’t there with this settings before. Any lower settings and it becomes too blurry to enjoy. The sim should get more optimized with updates, not less!
  • VR Menu can be triggered but is often unreachable, and even when it is reachable - its icons usually can’t be clicked. It worked for me for a minute somehow, but then I couldn’t press any of the VR menu icons and no matter what I tried I couldn’t open any menus.
  • Rotational controls are terrible: no matter how slowly you try to turn your controller, heading jumps by 20-30 degrees at a time, and all rotational controls jump by a huge margins. It’s impossible to tune anything to any degree of accuracy at all. Come on, X-Plane did it right in 2017!
  • Rotational controls do not click, there is no haptic feedback on rotation “clicks” which is so great in X-Plane. You hear the sounds, but feel no encoder clicks. Why, it’s free and easy to code this, has anyone thought through the VR implementation, compared to existing VR sims?
  • There is no haptic on flipping switches, as far as I noticed. Nothing happens after haptic feedback when flipping the switch.
  • Yoke can’t be hidden anymore, and switches obscured by the yoke can’t be easily manipulated via laser either. The controller tends to snap to the yoke instead, and I have a hardware yoke, I need to access switches, not steer the plane with a laser! But I can’t. There should be an option to disable yoke control, so laser would go through to operate switches behind the yoke.
  • I don’t think it’s possible to change the controller button assignment, at least I haven’t found a way to do that. A button opens the (unusable) VR menu, B button triggers the laser. Menu button doesn’t do at all, instead of triggering menu. Grab button activates the controller (instead of it being tracked constantly when moving) and there’s no way to reassign those that I can see.
  • Controller doesn’t appear by itself, it has to be triggered by pressing a grab button. That adds a completely unnecessary extra step every time you need to adjust something, if you haven’t used a controller for a minute. Every time!
  • There’s no reason to hide the controller, it should always be present, as long as it’s tracking. If it’s on your lap or on the table in front of you - the ghosted image should be there so you can grab it easily. Instead it disappears completely, very quickly, without ability to adjust the timeout or its behavior.
  • I have a very strange joystick-related glitch, the button assigned to something else now changes the view to external camera, in parallel with what’s it supposed to do. Very strange. It does 2 actions at once - what I had mapped AND jumping the camera.

I wonder what kind of QA can let it all through at this state? Beside the FPS decrease, the VR controllers are barely usable and can’t adjust anything to any degree of accuracy, nor can they open menus. I have waited for this for almost a year, since VR was introduced without controller support. But this is a whole lot worse than what X-Plane has. I was expecting the functionality to be at least as good, if not better, considering Asobo’s resources. But it’s much worse… I hope the hotfix is coming, but any kind of QA testing should have exposed all those issues. I don’t understand how it was possible to release it like that…

21 Likes

Seedy…I am pleased with the update except the drop down menu in VR does not work. Using hotkeys like the V or N will open those windows but they are not able to be moved, like to to co-pilots seat.

Anybody else getting 56Kesque downloaded speeds on the update tonight? At this pace I’ll be flying by Monday :slight_smile:

I am getting some other weather than clear skies at EGLL at the moment: