Discussion + Poll: GOTY (1.21.13.0)

So not done extensive flying, but I have to say that so far, this has been a good update for me. Rock solid - no hint of any CTDs etc, and performance very good - on DX11. Yet to try DX12.

Autogen buildings in Edinburgh (and elsewhere I assume) are still broken.

Weather looks good so far too - seems more varied and more immersive somehow. Not yet played with the visibility slider.

Reno air races are fun, but I’ve discovered I am awful! Practice required methinks! Good news is that performance in Reno for me was excellent, matchmaking pretty quick although max I’ve had in a race is 6 rather then 8 - maybe a lot of people still downloading etc. Reno won’t last long if people don’t play of course, and I think private lobbys are essential.

It’s good fun though.

Yet to try VR -not had time tonight. Interesting to see how the controllers work, although I’ve not really felt the need for them - but once I try them, you never know, might be game changing. Intrigues to see what they’ve done to the lighting as the release notes say “lighting issues fixed”

Pretty happy so far - nothing very game breaking that I’ve found so afr and all seems very stable.

Good job Asobo.

3 Likes

I downloaded GOTY an hour ago and tried it out.I was wondering what happened to the third person view of the aircraft.Did Asobo get rid of it or something.Other than that,i was exited to see the custom weather tab finally get a cloud coverage slider and temperatures in Fahrenheit like FS2004 had along with the new humidity option.Hopfully we’ll still get different cloud types,an visibility slider and a savable WX.weather file in the future.

My system survived the update process, but reverse thrust hold controller button functionality no longer works and the VR toolbar is now unusable. The former can be worked around, thanks to the user community here, but the latter significantly affects VR usability and leaves that functionality dead in the water (or should I say air!).

Two words Asobo - Regression Testing

On a positive note, the 100% repeatable CTD I have experienced in SU5 and SU6, when coming out of the game menu in a flight before moving the throttles, appears to be fixed, so yay for that little win!

1 Like

So all the added content and other fixed bugs are not a win?

2 Likes

Anybody getting graphic glitches flashing at the top of the screen in third person and cockpit view when panning the camera up and down.

1 Like

Respectfully, I was involved with this airplane in real life and I don’t seem to have the same sentiment on the simulation of it that you do.

While its true that it might be down at this moment, Live Weather was working beautifully for me earlier today. I was wondering why I was getting rain/snow wintery mix, then looked outside and there it was out of nowhere.

You are entitled to your opinion indeed, but when i consider where we was with it last year, I haven’t had CTD in a month, as opposed to 5 a day. I think it’s getting better.

4 Likes

First impressions. Download took about 90minutes no issues went smooth as silk. On opening 2 things the version notes are microscopic and the world doesn’t revolve on plan page. currently flying Pilatus , weather has Perth with a lot of rain. Looking outside cant see nothing unless its south. Which is possible But happy ATM.
Getting better with updates.

Yes they are, but other than trying out the F18, which was fun in VR even if the trim axis is reversed, the paint is still fresh on my update and I haven’t had a chance to try these other fixes/enhancements yet.

I am normally quite positive on updates, but it seems every other update recently has broken something major with existing functionality and requires a hotfix. While it wouldn’t totally eliminate them, following a disciplined regression testing and rework regime would reduce these occurances significantly, albeit at the expense of meeting schedule.

1 Like

Can somebody explain to me why after every update I need to download again all the world updates?

1 Like

If you haven’t had a chance to try the other updates and fixes, how can you pass a judgement like you did?

1 Like

Welcome to England!
Kidding :wink:

1 Like

VR is unusable since mouse or controllers don’t work in game to handle ATC, weather, VFR map etc.
Clouds look even more cartoon-ish now.
Clouds are pixelated, green and pink edges (color banding), some weird semitransparent visuals when two clouds seems to mix.
Clouds mirror themselves in the sky when moving head up&down in VR.
Performance seems worse on the ground.
Another 20 GB of junk added.

This is getting worse with every update.

6 Likes

Curious, what’s the workaround for the reverse thrust issue?

You made me spill my supper :rofl:

1 Like

What judgement? That more rigorous regression testing is needed? I can make that judgement without trying out any new feature, because regression testing is about ensuring existing, not new, functionality is not broken.

Pretty smooth update for non VR users. Weather looks nice when it appears, but seems to change like somebody’s flicked a switch. There’s no way of accessing the toolbar in VR which means VR is dead in the water! I’m a life long fan of MSFS, but I’m really losing the will to use it after shelling out £4K on a top of the line PC to struggle running it. I find myself disappointed with every update despite the eye candy. Could you imagine if Forza Horizon 5 was released like this? (server problems aside)

I don’t believe the GOTY edition is a thankyou. I think it’s a bunch of photogrammetry that never made the deadline for previous world updates. I do appreciate the additional aircraft and do appreciate the Developers work, but it all seems rushed and broken. I’m sure XBox users are happy with it, but I find it difficult to recommend they upgrade to PC anytime soon.

Oh you could see through solid metal in the real thing? I jest, but it is bad what they have done to it. After some more testing I think it maybe on all aircraft where there is plastic on glass.

I never had CTD’s until SU5 when the sim was changed for Xbox and the problems started to occur.

The new live weather could be good, I have only been able to get correct temps, wind, and pressure, the clouds have been nowhere near what it says in the METAR. My huge worry about this new weather system will be how it handles transitions when a METAR changes, friends have told me how they are getting awful transitions where the weather suddenly changes and for example fog comes out of nowhere, similar to REX Weather Force which has pretty much been total flop due to this issue.

See Reverse thrust broken - #2 by TenPatrol

4 Likes

Interesting, thanks for that. Does it function the same or does it just decrease the throttle into reverse?

I may have to shelve the sim for a few months, anyway. I’ve been unable to run in full screen since SU5. Fullscreen is a lag fest, windowed isn’t. Now with all the settings resets and having just loaded into a flight to find my camera movements are now inverted…eh. Kinda over it.

Yes.
Which aircraft did you fly, when the glitches occurred ?