Discussion + Poll: GOTY (1.21.13.0)

clouds lack detail and softness even with ultra settings

1 Like

Maybe they are lacking detail and softness for you (and the technology has its limits in this regard) but this has nothing to do with GOTY or SU7. BTW I have never seen anything like the strange ornaments in your 2nd screenshot, that’s either some odd compression artifact or if you have seen that on your monitor as well, maybe some GFX card setting.

The major thing that has changed with clouds since SU7 is that they are no longer able to generate them at the correct height, and therefore they often are depicted coming out of the ground or at ground level when they should not be. This also contributes to why so many people repot ‘haze’ or low visbility when it should not be there (in addition to the 10sm bug in USA), because the clouds are at ground level giving the effect of fog or haze.

See Pamplona as just one example:

1 Like

I have an RTX 3080 ti video card

all default settings. only a fixed refresh rate for the app

#1 Looks to me as if those clouds should be at 3000ft AGL, but are at 3000ft MSL.
Since the land is about 3000ft, they appear to be all the way down to the ground.

#2 whatever looks wrong AFTER #1 is corrected.

Would have been helpful to have seen a local Atis or Metar to confirm the above.

1 Like

Hey, the METAR I kept visible in the screenshot :slight_smile:

My Bad, I missed that – must have been so GOB-SMACKED by the clouds.

Will watch again

Did, do not see any Metar or Atis info …

There’s the same example and many more also, over in this bug thread:

The METAR is in the screenshot, but if you can’t see it it was this: LEPP 301230Z 36001KT 9999 FEW004 BKN027 09/09 Q1026

KTUS: temprature 10/-01 … CLR … fog, smog, mist … whatever … :-p … huge bug …

1 Like

Yep, I think what you’re seeing here is the bug where it takes the 10SM reading in the METAR too mean exactly that when in fact the irl visibility is greater than 10SM

I’m still trying to get over Temperature = 2 , Dewpoint = 10 :sob:

(yes – took a lot of time to make this Graphic, so I intend to get a lot of use out of it !! )

4 Likes

Maybe, but the weird thing is that the performance at a USA airport (JFK) was affected by a world update from a completely different area. Removing them and keeping the USA WU one increased performance significantly on the ground and low level flying.

You may have to be a little careful about that.
I get the impression that later world update “may” be using resources from earlier world updates, so it you don’t install the early ones, thing may be missing from the later ones .

One example is the VOR at KDCA in USA World Update, that seem to come from the Japan Update. If you don’t have the japan Update installed, you don’t see the VOR at KDCA (from memory )

It is possible ( I haven’t tested this ) that with every WU there were core sim changes pushed as well and that when uninstalling the WU we are only removing the objects related to the WU and not the core sim changes. But you are right, maybe removing Japan could bring that issue back.

Since certain WUs affect performance in some systems, hopefully it can somehow help in identifying bugs or maybe help optimizations.

I have always found the UPDATES to be “suspect”, so while I do update when the update first comes out, and give it a try, I end up later that week doing a 100% fresh install
This very often, make the sim appear to be a very different one from the updated one .

1 Like

Well said Tidal. For a hundred bucks, so many think they should be getting the type of sim that commercial pilots train in.

1 Like

I beg to differ, this is with live weather

1 Like

I’m starting to get the feeling that you Swiss have special servers.

1 Like

Nah… we just have better cloud computing - well, clouds - here in Switzerland, as seen here from the Bürgenstock (near Lucerne):

Yes, here would be the Lake Lucerne - instead we now see a “cloud lake”:

And yes, our clouds actually do grow out of the ground!

:wink:

4 Likes