Discussion + Poll: Hotfix 1.18.14.0

“Arrogance is a circus thing. Do you know that kind of clown, the mediocre one who thinks he owns the show? One day he buys de circus. The next day the circus goes bankrupt”

Always a good thing to remember and not forget about. We’re focusing on the rendering engine right now, but let’s not forget all the other problems that are the fundamentals of a strong flight sim

1 Like

Well, I have made a flight through London and it is something else, before the update you could not fly, very low fps and melted buildings, today I have seen much better fps and buildings much better.

3 Likes

There is no question that SU5 has caused CTDs for many users that never had them before, however I have seen several posts where you have mentioned “BSOD”. A BSOD almost always indicates that there is a hardware problem on the computer. Buggy software by itself can certainly cause a running program to crash, but a BSOD is in a different category. A mere software bug almost never causes a BSOD unless the bug is in one of Windows’ core operating files.

BSOD can have many causes - an unstable CPU overclock, bad system RAM, a GPU fault, a failing power supply etc. When a blue screen appears, there should be a specific text error message - something like “IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL”. That is just an example - there are dozens of possible error messages that could appear when a BSOD occurs. It is essential to note what the error message text is to investigate further.

Even perfectly bug-free software can induce a BSOD if running the software stresses a dodgy component on your system. Since SU5 puts more load on the GPU than previous versions of the sim, a GPU problem would be my first suspect - especially if you never had a BSOD before SU5.

1 Like

Someone in the ‘welcome to xbox’ forum tried on his/her xbox…that lasted about 10 mins. Another user that’ll never be back to the sim.

… lock it to 30 fps and it will be much more better …

Agreed.

Many people also report frequent “freezes” now, which is another typical symptom of a GPU failure, which anybody experienced in GPU overclocking will recognize. The underlying reason could be heat or insufficient or unstable power, both of which are more likely to happen when the GPU is running near its limits.

Sadly, many of those with these symptoms refuse to even acknowledge the possibility and insist in vain that Asobo must fix the sim.

2 Likes

Optimization after SU5 is nice. However, high altitude clouds still cause more fps losses. For example, above Fl350 creates a strange fps problem.

1 Like

Is there anyway possible to revert to SU4?

3 Likes

I had another unusual thing happen since the update and ‘fix’.

I’ve been flying during the daytime since the update and fix was released. Last night I flew to KORD during the sunset when this started happening. It appears to be severe tearing but I can’t explain the other strange things found in the video, like the other players names.

My computer is new and not overclocked. Graphics on ‘ultra’. GPU temps between 56-58C. This doesn’t happen on any other piece of software.

Thought I would give it a go today, see if there are any improvments since my first experience of SU5

Wow. What an abomination they have turned this into overnight.
Flying low through London, i see a war zone. Buildings and trees slowly appearing before me, sometimes not at all, and just blocks of rock or bricks. Like something out of an armageddon movie.
Vr probably makes it look worse, but its the only way i can fly.

I even manualy cached the area of london to see if that made any difference…not one bit.
I really cannot believe what they have done to it. The overall lighting, saturation, everything, clouds destoyed with one foul swoop.

One build for xbox and pc’s, has that been confirmed?

All the pre update talk of we have made changes to the code and everyone is going to love it…do they think people are that stupid that they wont work out its not improvements to the code, its pedalling backwards so it can run on a machine that probably costs less than most here have spent on a gfx to run this thing as well as we know it can run.

Exasperated is an understatement. Just glad i didnt invest as much as some to get it how it was in SU4.

1 Like

Asobo promised the PC version would not be dumbed down to accommodate the needs of those playing on an XBox. Becoming apparent there paymasters at Microsoft decided otherwise. People are indeed not stupid. Stand by for an upcoming press release from Asobo promising a never going to happen fix, Asobo don’t call the shots here, Microsoft do and until they milk the xbox market nothing much will change. You better hope when that is over they are still selling enough copies of the PC version to make it worth the while of fixing it.

2 Likes

And yet…

Not really a war zone is it?

2 Likes

Well, to me it looks like hardware GPU errors.
Heat, power or faulty component on the graphics adapter.

Thats not flying low…

1 Like

This is beginning to sound like the tale of two platforms. Somebody at Microsoft or Asobo should have seen this coming. This is a cluster f@%k if there ever was one. Another thing I noticed was how washed out all the colors are. The blue sky is now so muted. Even the colors of my cockpits seem different. Local flyers are all over my screen with no apparent way to turn them off. Elevation of arrival airports not shown, and the list goes on. Sad.

Constant CTD since this hotfix, mostly during flight and long freezes. almost impossible to play now. This is the first update I’ve had problems with since release.

2 Likes

Yea, that’s what I thought. I’ve done some stress testing afterward but can’t seem to replicate it. It only happens in MSFS. Weird…

Have you seen how PG works?

See this thread. Have a read through that and you’ll see how it is supposed to work. It is for flying over at a few hundres feet. If you want to be at head height, turn it off.

EDIT - and note the date of that thread. Been like that dince day 1, as that’s how PG works, and zero to do with SU5

4 Likes

You can turn off multiplayer or restrict it to a group I think