Question about melted lego block looking building scenery

Just droned around California, I noticed most of Southern California building autogen looks like melted lego blocks or they suffered from a bombing campaign.
Meanwhile Northern California areas like San Francisco area buildings are mostly full detailed rendered models.

Why is this?
Are areas like Los Angelese, Miami and NYC all still a work in progress or is that the best it will be until a third party addon?

The not fully rendered scenery still looks great above 2k feet, but it would look so much more immersive with fully rendered buildings.

Will these be later handcrafted areas?

6 Likes

Maybe the game hasnt loaded in those chunks yet

It may be because some places have higher satellite image quality than others so it may make the building and ground quality look lower than other places with a higher quality. However this may not be the issue, just a thought.

I noticed this the past two days, which is interesting because on release day it seemed to be much higher fidelity. Wonder if itā€™s a server issue or a cache issue on my end?

3 Likes

I think serverā€¦and this worries me nowā€¦AZURE isnā€™t loading down the pipeline to populate your terrainā€¦I had that too, for a section of terrain around Mackinac City, Michigan. 15 city blocks stayed with grey square low height buildingsā€¦and I think it was a failure of my copy of MSFS to request metrics to the M.S. server. Againā€¦worrisomeā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know folks Iā€™m starting to think thatā€™s the most baked the textures just actually are down there in SOCAL.
All the videos of it are the sameā€¦melted legos.

Are you talking about photogrammetry scenery, it looks like melted lego blocks if looked near enough?

-eelis-

1 Like

Yes ground level.
Is that the norm?

Well, yes, thatā€™s the photogrammetry scenery, from a bit of distance it looks really good and accurate, but looking ā€™tooā€™ closely itā€™s like melted legos.

-eelis-

2 Likes

Photogrammetry extrudes an accurate 3d model of the building from the ground image itself, whereas the regular scenery detects a building footprint with AI and places a generic autogen building in its place. With photogrammetry, you get the actual building, but with a lower resolution as a trade off.

4 Likes

Weā€™ll I feel that sucksā€¦
SOCAL is one of the places where I would personally want autogen fully rendered building representations atleast along the beach/coasts. Looks like Iā€™ll be waiting on third party addons.

It really depends on your graphics. You need to have a higher end system to really take advantage of it in the sim.

Thatā€™s simply not true .Its as good as those textures are gonna get as they are hard baked as explained above. Iā€™m already running ultra settings with a fire breathing hardware setup.
The sim isnā€™t gonna unlock a special fully rendered object mode thatā€™s outside of the slider settings based on a magical high end hardware configuration. We simply get what the sliders give.
So iā€™m getting the very best image the sim can throw at me alreadyā€¦and unfortunately the baked legos are just the method for these heavily congested densely packed city blocks of areas of LA, NYC and Miami

3 Likes

I personally like the photogrammetry scenery, but understand if someone doesnā€™t.

-eelis-

4 Likes

I love it performance wise and it looks freakin great from an altitude 1-2k feet plus.
The way this simā€™s lighting and shadows hit some of those tree filled cul de sac neighborhoods look amazing. I still get the California vibe with the photogrammetry.
They looked so amazing in which triggered me to go down in there with the drone to want to walk around and explore. :smile:
Also coming from past sims where the whole SOCAL/Los Angeles area was always an fps crawler.
ORBX SOCAL scenery was known for absolutely tanking fps below even the vanilla scenery performance in FSX/P3D in every review. So yes this is a great alternative method and I surprisingly donā€™t get a single stutter or huge crippling fps loss flying into KLAX which is a first for me in flight sim history with max settings.

1 Like

Make sure the Bing check box is ticked under ā€˜Dataā€™ in the FS options. Mine was off for some reason and Iā€™d see the ā€œmelted legosā€ mixed in with normal photogrammetry as well as good autogen in certain areas. As soon as I checked it, the issue went away.

As in all of your scenery are now like the landscape to the left?(picture I posted above)
In NYC,Miami and LA under 1000 feet or ground level ?
Can you post a screen or a video?Out of all the videos and screenshots released this would surely be the first time Iā€™ve seen such.

It does feel like something screwy is going on in SoCal that wasnā€™t happening before. On day one my trip down and through OC seemed way more detailed. Iā€™ve checked my data settings and everything is activated. Iā€™m not even talking about the way the game interprets palm trees either. Iā€™m getting more melted Legos in the area. Other places do seem fine though. Anyone else been to KSBA and have the landscape around the airport look extremely ā€œmodern art?ā€

1 Like

Photogrammetry ON

Photogrammetry OFF

Let me run the FPS toolā€¦because if the FPS hit is negligible then why even use photogrammetry?
Unless some folks just want the utmost IRL terrain accuracy?
Also roads are much more textured and defined with Photogrammetry OFF.

NYC and Miami are some of the hardest hitting most performance demanding places in the sim.

Miami
Photogrammetry ON

Miami
Photogrammetry OFF

NYC
Photogrammetry ON

NYC
Photogrammetry OFF

As you can see I gained 3 FPS in Miami with Photogrammetry OFF
I lost 5 FPS in NYC with Photogrammetry OFF

This is on a Ultra Settings with
200 Detail of Terrain.
100% Render Scaling

On
1080ti/8700K
32GB RAM
Latest Windows 10 and Nvidia Updates

I do see the differences with the overall terrain image, I think Iā€™m a non Photogrammetry type of user myself.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing a lot wrong with that picture, Iā€™m not sure what you are expecting? The photogrammatery is definitely better IMO as it looks much more realistic and the buildings are the right buildings. This is especially true along place likes coastlines with big beach condos where the actual building will make a huge difference. The auto gen buildings are good, but are not the real buildings and it can throw up some wierd stuff - still great compared to xplane garbage - but a little odd sometimes. From anything above 500 feet it all looks great anyway. Itā€™s all down to personal opinion, and at least you can toggle it on or off.