Discussion + Poll: Sim Update V (1.18.13.0)

It should be made clear that one needs 22,91 GB + 39,78GB of Space.

Hi Carlos,

Invite DREADGEM2957418 - thatā€™s my MSFS handle.

I thought Acuario9383 was your handle, but I see it isnā€™t!

Iā€™m online now, 4.40pm - 6.00pm ET, August 11.

Best,

Nigel

The more you update, the more garbage, itā€™s better not to update

This is actually not true. One of the big changes in the SU5 was vastly improved garbage collection in the RAM, resulting in much lower general usage of it. Some folks here however have interpreted that as ā€œdumbing down to XBOXā€ and have been complaining why their 64GB is not being filled up anymore.

Look at the memory usage in dev mode, donā€™t the numbers come suspiciously close to the xbox limits? What other reason could they have had to limit memory so aggressively?

Take the new terrain culling for example. Surrounding terrain is unloaded as soon as you look away, with a high chance of having to be reloaded again soon causing pop-in and stutters. Doesnā€™t sound very optimal unless they had no other choice to make it fit into the box.

2 Likes

Closed as this version is very much overtaken by current events. For the latest conversations, please see:

AND

Thanks!

Ok. Iā€™ve been here since the beginning. I have a very mid-level computer -
I5-9600
32GB RAM
Z390 MB
Nvidia GTX 1060
NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB

Performance on release was as I expected. Fair at best, and some airport approaches in the 10FPS range. It seemed to have gotten worse as the updates came and went. Then with SU5, itā€™s like a light went on. I now get > 30FPS, with complex airports knocking me down into the low 20s. Never in the teens.

How did Asobo all of a sudden improve the performance as much as they did? I was all set to pull the trigger on an overpriced RTX 3XXX, but now I can wait until they come back to launch pricing, if that ever happensā€¦

There are lots of topics on this, I suggest you go looking for one, but here is a TLDR:

FPS improvements were gained through some optimisation, but also through gutting the visual quality of the game (e.g., assets popping, lowering LoDs, compressing colours, etc.) - Some of these changes could have and should have been tied to settings so that high-end PC users could still keep their high quality. After backlash, these settings have been or will soon be implemented.

Now we get the best of both worlds. Low-end PCs (including Xbox) can get good frame rates, with reasonable graphic quality, while high-end PCs like my own can still get the quality we want, even if that means lower than SU5 FPS.

Hope that helps.