Discussion + Poll: World Update V (1.17.3.0)

Yep, those are the exact same issues I’ve been seeing since the USA World Update. Entire mountains shifting up and down or radically changing shape. Also, smaller hills as well as coastlines (since the UK World Update) falling completely flat at a distance, which can cause floating buildings and trees.

The videos appended in the main post of the thread I linked were taken with Sim Update 4, but are representative of the USA World Update as well. However, if you’re suggesting that somehow the problem has become worse, even in areas not updated with today’s patch, that sounds awful. When the patch is fully downloaded in a few hours I’ll do some tests.

2 Likes

Make sure to officially report this as a bug. These are common problems with payware addon airports, because some developers don’t know how to do these things in the SDK (similar to the ILS and ATC problems with some addon airports). That these problems are now popping up in official Asobo content is worrying. I guess it means that Asobo is maybe not communicating enough about the SDK with Gaya, who developed these airports.

1 Like

Same for me. CTD

I had to search for it a bit - I think you can just type in “Nordics” in the search area and it’ll pop up. Usually it’s on the main page but not this time. Definitely an oversight by MS, but it is in the Marketplace.

Thanks for reminding me, just filed a zendesk ticket.

2 Likes

DENMARK Bush Trip. The VFR map is all sorts of wrong. Here is what it looks like. The route from EVERY airport point south. These lines ALL go VERY far until they converge at POI1 WAY out somewhere else. I am gonna try this without Navigraph data and see if it’s still the same. But I don’t think Navigraph data should affect these things.

3 Likes

Same for me!

1 Like

Some of the US airports I noticed while updating were KLAX, KSEA, KJFK. There could’ve been others I missed.

Or use the “FREE” filter

Thanks but I mean the initial installer update in the Microsoft Store. I can’t even get that to download as it’s not showing there is even an update available.

Mhm, just said that and 20 minutes later I have a CTD after 420 of the 503 km done. I absolutely enjoy the sim but it’s a rough love, that’s for sure. Sigh…

It’s been said before. Even in this very topic. Sometimes you have to log out and back into the store. Sometimes restart Pc. Sometimes click the three dots to force download it. Sometimes you have downloaded and installed it already in the background. You could open the sim itself and see it starts updating from there. It mostly a tree step process. Store, Sim, Marketplace, just like Throttle, Pitch, Trim :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Let us know how it goes.

It’s not what’s on the mountain, the grass and trees and snow etc. It warps the mountain height, in Norway these can be big steps ! this may be a choice to show less mountain polygons ? I have just tested it with the freeware DEM at ENLK and the result does not change… mountain tops keep popping up within a mile or two. And it seems mountains on a distance change into exact triangles sometimes I just took these images with a good DEM, but it is still visible and jumping… I show medium quality (medium, 80% res) but you see what happens…

In the middle on the first image, near the horizon, you see a pyramid, not a mountan :smirk_cat: in fact a lot of pyramids are visible. It is more severe distortion than the W3 update. They did not start with triangles before…

Approach it…

2 Likes

Can you create an independent payware package?

Anybody found a solution for BIIS ctd?

Thanks for the screenshots, this is the exact same thing I’ve been seeing since the USA World Update (indeed, I was not talking about trees and objects specifically but rather mentioned them as an example of the disfigured terrain).

The pyramid/sawtooth pattern became a lot more prominent since the UK World Update, and it’s less about the low amount of polygons, but more because of the poor shape retention of the terrain at lower levels of detail. The same amount of polygons could be used without changing the shape of the terrain that drastically, unfortunately it’s a weak aspect of the simulator at the moment.

I would highly recommend posting those screenshots over to the bug report about the terrain morphing (I’ll link to it again). It could certainly use some contributions like the great screenshots you provided!

1 Like

@BostonJeremy77
Hi. Works fine for me. Strange. Edit: I don’t have Navigraph.

This update seems a little rough round the edges compared to the previous world updates. Maybe they are swamped with major changes coming next month

Just a note, EKVG was added to the sim by this update (plus better satellite imagery and mesh for the islands), but having Navigraph installed messes with the default scenery, and transforms the apron into a mountain (without Navigraph it is perfectly fine). I already reported it on the Navigraph forums: EKVG Vagar issues after Nordic Update - Airport Scenery - Navigraph

2 Likes

Yes, I can recommend watching todays livestream on Twitch, where Jörg talked about coming World Updates, to get a better perspective on these things.
They are very much aware about the limitations concerning satellite coverage, for example, and they seem to acknowledge that some World Updates will have better quality than others. They tried getting photogrammetry for Stockholm or Oslo, for example, but just couldn’t get it in time.

2 Likes