Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

Just curious what happens when you use the Airbus 320?

Just a thought, but I am thinking that there are several others out there with similar problems.

Something to note. For me at least this update was a 2 step process.

1.) When you first start MSFS before the latest update, it prompts you to download the update. After that many, like myself, might think you are done. Some of the weirdness I attribute to the fact that you may not have completed the 2nd install, noted below.

2.) There is still one more update lurking in the Windows Store, that needs to be downloaded and installed.

After that is accomplished, everything seems to function properly, at least for meā€¦

I learned from past updates to update from MS store first. but then again there are different methods (MS store, Steam, DVD) for different people.

Well I guess all the updates are not the same?
I had the Microsoft Store update 1Gb
Then the update in the flight sim 20Gb
Then the updates of aircraft in the sim
Then 2 hours after I shut down my computer another update of 4Gb in the sim.
Four updates total.

More importantly this means they are not intending to model the autopilot functions/screens with the G3X.

1 Like

You are basically telling people to overclock their cards. This could result in overheating, system instability, or in a worst case damage to a video card.

Whatever Asobo did to change the balance between CPU and GPU that is wrecking peopleā€™s performance needs to be fixed in the rendering engine of the sim, not by overclocking.

8 Likes

It is a controlled clocking just like it was before with Asobo. But maintaining the temp to a minimum plus using the fans to keep the GPU cool. Nothing has changed from the previous Asobo clocking GPU graphics_1 @ 98-100%.

Nothing Asobo did changed the driver settings for the graphics card. The % that changed is how much the GPU is being used - a totally different value from what you are suggesting changing. Something has gone wrong with the rendering pipeline inside the game. Changing settings in the drivers canā€™t compensate for that, and suggesting people change their video card power and fan settings is irresponsible.

6 Likes

Letā€™s put it this way any GPU has a max performance output or clock rate. Asobo was using all of your GPU power without controlling the temp in the GPU.

Now they de-rated the use of all the power to control the temp.
What I am doing is using all the GPU power available but controlling the temp.

I had to wait until Flybywire released a new version for this latest sim update (as I never fly the default A320). Just downloading it now from FBW. Will fly it soon.

• VR dialogue panels are unworkable. You pretty much lose all ability to click the options, scroll and it hangs in your face

• Toggling in and out of VR, you still lose the Flight Plan in the MCDU. You need to re-enter itā€¦ but only the plan nand not weights etc

• seems smoother, something seemed different about the traffic, and maybe it was just the lighting but I was able to read a taxi sign I canā€™t normally read. Con trails are great.

• Flew the Flybywire A32XN after updating to the latest dev version. No problems, though the ipad locked upā€¦ I blame myself clicking too much atm

2 Likes

Quick flight over Hobart, internal and external FBW 320 latest custom update, post sim update. Much the same at 1440p for me. Steam fps counter bottom right, 60 fps inside, 71 external, mostly ultra, CPU main thread and GPU at 100%. Cropped image, from two monitor screenshot.

1 Like

I understand what your saying, but I shouldnā€™t have to do these workarounds for a product that I paid $100 dollars for. Especially a big company like MS

I just did a number of test flights where I always go after updates. Everything in terms of FPS seemed somewhat normal, but I am absolutely getting weird GPU utliization. Every few minutes utilization goes from 99-100% down to 50 or 55% and I get a huge drop in frames and stutters for a lengthy amount of timeā€¦sometimes for 2 or 3 minutes. Then all of a sudden GPU util goes back to 100 and Iā€™m back to getting my ā€˜normalā€™ frames. This has never happened before the updateā€¦I actually think Iā€™m getting slightly BETTER frames when the gpu is hitting 98-100 but this frequent drop and stutters are def not greatā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m up to date and on Win 10 Version 20H2.

Can you perform a quick flight over KMIA or KSFO and see what your FPS is like?

Whatā€™s your headset and OpenXR settings?

Youā€™re mistaken about what is going on, but I am not going to argue further.

For anyone else reading the thread: Messing with GPU power and fan settings shouldnā€™t be required to work around anything that has gone wrong with the sim, and could be detrimental to your system stability and hardware.

6 Likes

Sure, Iā€™ll give San Fran a shot, as Iā€™ve flown over before and can compare from previous flights. BRB.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks!