Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

Hello,
for me:

• Performance decrease definitely noticeable
  • Noticeable stutters on taxiway, takeoff and landing

But Tegucigalpa Landing Challenge may allow for somewhat objectionable observations for all of us.
I note very significant stutters every time I approach the airport. Before SimUpdate3, everything was smooth.

1 Like
  1. Just set the key binds as you like for the up down arrows in the controls settings.

The main issue for me is that the development seems really slow. Every major update seems to bring only small improvements (and introduces new issues too).

We can all debate on what we think are major issues that need fixing sooner than later but Iā€™m using this sim for almost a year now (was in the Alpha too) and there are so many things that I think should have been improved but it seems like Adobo/MS have their own agenda.

Reading the patch notes I canā€™t help but think that itā€™s a bunch of small fixes that didnā€™t actually take months to solve, unless there is something bigger cooking under the hood. The Garmin update is a good example of this, as is the addition of contrails. Itā€™s a small step forward but not a major improvement like I would have expected after several months of work.

Maybe they spend all their resources on bigger things like VR, Seasons and the Xbox version before actually moving towards the long list of bugs and improvements that have been known for at least 6 months. If thatā€™s the case I would recommend them to communicate this as this will set expectations to meet the demand a little more. I also understand that these are difficult times, no one anticipated this covid-19 situation. What impact does it have? Also, Iā€™d advice them to communicate about this if itā€™s undermining their process.

Of course, when you release a product where expectations are so high itā€™s very difficult to keep up with that.

Leading up to the initial release of the Sim Iā€™ve heard them say a couple of times that they really want to do it right when they release something.

They said this about seasons and VR for example so I understand it when they are spending a lot of time to get it exactly right like they said they would.

Lately I canā€™t help but think theyā€™ve moved away from this approach. It seems like they are releasing stuff that isnā€™t exactly finished and up to standards. More and more it seems like updates are rushed, not really thoroughly tested or just plain incomplete considering the expectations theyā€™ve set. And this worries me.

Later this day there will be a developer Q&A and I really hope that they can shed some light on this.

@Jummivana : I donā€™t know if this is legitimate but would you please consider touching on this subject?

With all the best intentionsā€¦

4 Likes

Well for me i have fixed where it would drop my 3080 down to 15fps and down clock the MHz on the card, it turns out itā€™s the a320 mod, i landed at heath row default scenery last night on runway 27R as soon as i landed my GPU went down to 15 fps and stayed there and my card went from around 1920 down to 1350mhz,
so this morning i done the same flight same problem on landing so i put on the dev mode and changed the aircraft to the 747 and everything back to normal see pics, so i spawned the a320 mod back in using change aircraft in the dev mode and bang 15fps GPU down to 1395/1500 from 1940 MHz.
First pic is when i just came off the runway before i opened dev mode .

Getting micro stutters and the occasional CTD. This last time today was flying the Daher at 15,000 over Socal with a lot of weather. System is Ryzen 5-3600XT, RX5700XT, 32GB running on High settings at 2K.

Yesterday I was disappointed to note the less than impressive number of improvements to the GA Garmin and the apparent lack of attention to RNAV approaches. I thought these were slated to be incorporated in this update?

Personally I could do without contrails if it meant fixing a few issues known since launch. Maybe spend a year fixing the avioincs before releasing any more scenery updates. Theyā€™re already great Asobo dudes, what you need to do now is refine the actual mechanics of flying.

1 Like

It says ā€œStartedā€ with release in Sim Update 3. I interpret that as the first improvements come out in Sim Update 3. Then they continually work on them. It should have been more clear though.

1 Like

Itā€™s a mod. Itā€™ll be fixed but Asobo cannot account for mods in their testing process.

what is the point of contrails on your own aircraft you will never see them,

2 Likes

Yeah. The issue is most likely deeper than just the sim. Iā€™d say itā€™s more likely to be weather data that cannot be fully handled by the sim and it does the wrong thing with it. Pure speculation, but the new weather is super complex so thereā€™s a lot that could go wrong. This whole sim is significantly more complex than previous generation ones.

Honestly, aside from the performance issues, this update hasnā€™t really introduced any big issues that I can see (aside from the performance stuff). It has fixed quite a bit, the physics thread shows lots of little improvements, which is nice to see! Autopilot issues seem to be much better recently too, but thatā€™s not new really. A few improvements in the Garmin, itā€™d be nice to see more but still welcome.

3 Likes

For me the FPS drop issue happens when flying in Clear Skies preset too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to look into the FPS drop issue. Has anyone tried locking their Nvidia card to high performance mode in the control panel? Thatā€™ll stop it from dropping the clock speed. Iā€™m studying for a final so I canā€™t fly for a few days, but thatā€™s what Iā€™d try

What app? Xbox console companion?

With respect, I think youā€™re likely to get a response to your question better by starting a new topic. Your question is very off-topic. To answer your question though, I personally didnā€™t/wouldnā€™t care less who was developing it.

I started with empty Community folder and added a few things I thought were essential afterwards. I had a CTD and stripped Community out again. I added the single livery I wanted to use and tried out a mod and that was fine.

I didnā€™t notice any difference in performance on my moderate system, but I was flying out in the wilderness, so no cities, big airports, traffic, etc. Iā€™m feeling grateful I donā€™t shell out time and money on lots of add-ons and mods. I hope everyone finds a way to get their performance and payware back.

1 Like

Stuttering in cities is terrible for me now, 10900k, 3090.

Submitted a zen desk report, hope they get this soon.

1 Like

Right after a quick check (no VR) I feel that the sim acts smoother than it does yesterday. I was even able to set back render scaling to 100 (from 80) while gaining at least the same (if not slightly better) framerate as before (FHD resolution, RX 5700, Ryzen 5 1600, 16 GB)! Naples, Italy and Berlin, Germany (my home town) both look great. Thank you, Asobo.

3 Likes

Hi. Could it be (and I am aware that I am just guessing here) that people who ran ultra pre SU3 now get stutters because the range for LOD has been expanded? Maybe this could result in higher demand on the same hardware. The solution to test this could be to tune the graphics down one notch.
Hopefully Iā€™m not talking nonsense here :smirk:

2 Likes

enlarged the lod? then iā€™m on another simulator? for me itā€™s the opposite! they have reduced again!!!

2 Likes

Has the LOD been expanded?