DLSS:DLAA Mode highly recommended! It’s WOW!

See? Thanks for your comment. This is exactly why I thought sharing because I was believing DLSS-DLAA was somewhat unknown to folks…

3 Likes

Done, you’re right!

It’s great, a bit of a “hidden feat”. Unfortunately it has got the same shimmering as DLSS in water and some textures - but it IS a lot better over all. =)

2 Likes

After having gone again into more depth testing on this, I must admit that what FinalLightNL says about his findings.

However, I find the amount of ghosting on speed tape, alt tapes & in general cockpit displays neglectable to the extent that I can live with it. Textures are still clear and sharp enough to read. Especially if you look at them, these displays get rendered sharply (with is exactly what DLAA is intend to do).

With TAA indeed this cockpit displays ghosting is mot there, however in this mode I observe a lot of blurry, moving, not-aliased lines, unsmooth outside textures, fences, buildings, etc. Which I DO NOT observe with DLSS:DLAA.

Therefore I think it’s about favors as with everything in life: Ghosting Cockpit Displays vs. Blurring External Textures.

Personally, I can live with slight ghosting cockpit displays when avoiding this ugly blurriness of outside textures that I see with TAA. Again, that is my opinion and why I stick to that DLSS:DLAA is a visually better mode than TAA.

Hope that Asobo will fix the remaining little amount of ghosting inside the cockpit with DLSS:DLAA sooner than later.

3 Likes

With DLSS Super Resolution + DLAA and with V 3.1.1, I experienced a big white ball for the exhaust of my PMDG 737. This was from the APU as well as the engine exhaust. I went back to the default DLSS and all is well. That was the ONLY drawback I experienced with v 3.1.1, but it was a deal breaker.

1 Like

To summarise my thoughts on DLSS: If you have a more powerful gpu than my rtx3060 then DLSS + DLAA will offer comparatively less pressure on mainthread whereas standalone DLSS ‘quality’ down to ‘performance’ are more useful for reducing load on lesser gpus. Only a potato should ever need DLSS ‘ultra performance’. I’ll just add that a rtx2080ti or super are more powerul than my 3060 and basically have the choice (as does the 3070). Naturally the strength of your cpu will have quite an effect.

2 Likes

Great discussion guys.

I don’t get this with anything I fly e.g. Wilga smoke, Discus water ballast, so I reckon this could be exclusive to PDMG, maybe they are using fixed sized textures rather than expandable render techniques or something (I’m no coder)?

Great thread this agreed. i7-10700 / 16Gb / RTX3070 (so a relatively weak CPU with a relatively good GPU). Using DX11…DLSS Super Resolution with DLAA worked well (I’m not in the SU12 Beta), it loads up the GPU (as it should) & eases pressure on the CPU main thread. Using ‘Quality’ also good. Just the blurry (ghosting ?) on the MFD’s and I’d tip my hat to the Devs…then I’ll test on DX12 again.

1 Like

DX12, 2560x1440, DLSS:DLAA here. AMD 5600X, ASUS RTX 3060Ti (some OC).
Im kind of happy with this setting (exept for the shimmering). I have not noticed any changes in performance. Not sure how much DLSS .dll 3.1.1 does, but its worth trying that out as well *

*) Just be aware that there are two different files with almost the same filename. Keep backups of everyting. =) Thanks @DensestSnail693

Just my thinking. Probably in error.

Buy a 4080/4090 GPU that has the capability of great FPS at your monitor’s native resolution.

Why would I want to render each frame at a lower res, then reconstructs them to appear as though they’re of native-level sharpness but with a higher FPS.

I would want to display a 4k screen at 4k and not 1080p.

But, part of my problem is that I’m not a Gamer and I’m not concerned with high FPS.

A lot of us are seeing great graphics with this setting. Looks amazing!

1 Like

I run native 2k (the monitor displays 2560 x 1440 pixels, the sim renders & outputs at the same 2k resolution). Having tested various combinations of up/down scaling, including lowering output to a lowly 1080p I can definitively confirm in my own personal experience at least - that fps & smoothness actually degrade significantly if you try to mess with the ‘native’ resolutions (display, render & output).

I’m no expert on this but my intuition is that somewhere the CPU/GPU are doing extra work just to fit your new settings if you tinkered with them …even if you tank the display output to 1080p.

The main benefit of a higher frame rate is increased visual smoothness when panning and translating the camera.

This significantly affects VR users, where a low frame rate can literally cause nausea due to mismatches between your vision and inner ear. It’s also quite noticeable on 2d monitors using a head-tracker or eye-tracker system like TrackIR or Tobii, where your peripheral vision keeps you centered on the world but the view can still be noticeably “jerky” when constantly moving at low fps.

Trading off some resolution for smoother motion is a legitimate option, and people can and will make their own choices of which is more important based on their setup and personal preference.

If you’re looking straight ahead and never/rarely panning, then a low or high frame rate will make a lot less impact.

4 Likes

I understand what you’re and that may well be true for your particular setup but the real truth of the matter is we all have our own optimal situations, the natural balance for my setup wil be different from yours. I have a little off-piste setup in that 90% of the time I play on a 32" 1080p HDTV as a monitor however with my mid/high end system native 1080p actually looks rubbish when compared to 2k plus (of course this would be less so on smaller screens). With a 2880 x 1620 DLSS (quality) resolution mine scales naturally to 1080p which is really apparent even compared to 1440p with basically the same performance. I do use NIS for sharpness and although I can set 4k I see zero difference except for the hammered framerate.

Hi there - absolutely correct - for the life of me I personally cannot begin to imagine how the Dev’s have to sift through the myriad of options, installs, hardware and then the options on each system to identify where bugs really live - then test & implement fixes. It surely is the hardest of all programs across diverse installations to fix issues. I take my hat off to them. I really do.

1 Like

for the ones on native 4K like me, just download the compiled .dll’s from reddit for FSR 2.1 instead.
It does a way better job than DLAA & DLSS does both.
[i can’t speak for 1080p / 1440p]
Source where to get it: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/x9cdwi/download_fsr_21_dlls_to_replace_in_game_folders/

Even I find that a bit odd being an Nvidia user myself, AMD seems to be onto something.
I believe you can still use frame generation with FSR active.

my cockpit textures, sharpness, scenery etc all look amazing.
ghosting is definitely less than nvidia dlss / dlaa (still annoying tho)

i’ll make some comparison shots later.

1 Like

To be honest with you; I thought FSR was something for AMD GPUs. But this is just another option for alla gpus / cpus then? I might try it later on, if its avaliable for RTX 3XXX series? Thanks for letting us know. =)

Oh, how does it handle water and other fine patterns, as textures in clothing etc?

I see, but what happens if you do not alter the rendition scaling with only DLSS, but with DLSS: DLAA? Maybe you have tried this as well? Did you try FSR (and the newer version of its .dll mentioned above?). My problems is still that water looks crazy-shimmering-ugly - which takes away much of the feeling.

So does this dll for FSR 2.1 work with AMD video cards? If so, where does it go?