Don’t buy RTX 3090

Okay keep me updated, I’m curious to know

Thank you @Camargo24 for this as even though I have an RTX 2080 Ti overclocked with an i9-9900k overclocked, I still want the 3080… but absolutely glad I didn’t get one yet.

Asobo has a ton of improvements they need to make WITHOUT sacrificing the visuals because they’ve already dumbed the sim down substantially in regards to crappy LOD, crappy photogrammetry and just bad AI buildings (at least in the US).

2 Likes

Not to mention and I don’t know if you have noticed, they also lower the details on the clouds! @moxiejeff

2 Likes

The very latest intel one. I don’t know what the model number is but it’s supposed to be the fastest intel one.

@SuperSixBravo the latest one is the i9-10900k

1 Like

Thanks. Then I am guessing that is it.

Okay I have that same one, it’s a very very huge disappointment that with high end specs, people are still experiencing bad quality and fps

1 Like

If you were using 4k you’d see gpu at higher usage I suspect. I’m getting one in a few days I believe and will see what happens. The ‘you’ refers to those who aren’t maxing the GPU out, not necessarily the OP as you just mentioned your frame rate isn’t better.
Mark

Yeah I’m not maxing out my gpu usage at the moment since I’m on a 2560x1440 resolution.
I’m afraid to buy a 4K monitor and have worse performance though. I mean it’s already unplayable in Los Angeles in 1440p

1 Like

Los Angeles is CPU heavy.Your 3090 will run 4k just fine in this sim.

Do you think with update 6, we can finally fly around LA on ultra settings?

Actually looking forward to the new AMD gpu benchmarks. I read they were developed closely with Microsoft so who knows. Would be good to see team red give Nvidia a shake up. Have been less than impressed with the new RTX series so far.

4 Likes

I think it’s all going to be the same ■■■■

1 Like

Next-gen :crazy_face:

yet still uses 4 physical cores mainly.
doesn’t utilize GPU properly even tho it hits 99% usage, it’s dividing the resources in a wrong manner.

This sim needs optimizations badly, in this day and age this kind of framerates is unacceptable on high end setups.
People say “but it’s a sim be happy you get 20-30fps”

sorry but even star citizen runs better with more detail and draw distances etc.

EDIT: just fyi if asobo is reading this, downgrading visuals is not optimizing your sim.

6 Likes

Some screenshots here.

Madrid Barajas airport Terminal 4, live weather. Many static aicraft with custom Iberia / Vueling / Spanair liveries (some of them appear mirrored, don´t know why).

A320NX mod, latest developement update. FS2020 settings: everything on Ultra. Sim version 1.10.8.0.

AMD Ryzen 3900X, 12/24 core CPU at stock speed (4.59 Ghz fastest core). 64 Gb RAM.
nVidia RTX 3080, stock speed. 4K 40" monitor.

Exterior and interior screenshots are in different days and parking spots, but I can tell you performance in both cases is essentially identical.

(Screenshots downgraded to 1920x1080 by the forum software, not representative of actual quality).

As you can see, the interior view with de A320NX is still above 30 fps, even with 12 AI aircraft with heavy textures in view. Not great, not terrible.

I´m still CPU limited, but that does not mean using a 3080 card makes no sense. The GPU thread doesn´t take much less to process than the GPU (25 vs 28 ms) so I consider this system fairly well balanced with the limitations of the software.

Heavy clouds take a greater hit in the GPU and the sim becomes GPU bound, but still usable around 30 fps.

Yes, I´m one of those stupid persons who consider 30 fps in a flight simulator as usable, even if it sounds “cliche”. I remember the “good old” FS98 / FS2000 days, with custom airports at 8 fps in high end machines, so I will not sand-bag Asobo for not optimizing the code properly, even if I expect better multicore usage with DX12.

The fact that I can enjoy this kind of image realism at over 30 fps is enough to make me happy. I choose not to be angry just because I know it could be (maybe, even should be) 40. I just never expected to see Barajas look like this, and I prefer to focus on the bright side.

Anyway, I belive using a RTX 3080 / 3090 at less than 4K is a waste of money. With such CPU bound software (flight simulators have always been limited by CPU) the only way to keep your graphics card busy, is giving it more pixels to render. At lower resolutions older and cheaper GPUs are more than enough, even my 1060 was kind of OK at 1920x1080.

And I tell you… image quality really improves a lot going to 4K, particularly instrument readability inside the cockpit. I consider it a must for this sim, and reason enough to buy a high end GPU.

3 Likes

Are you running the sim on Ultra settings for everything? What are the numbers on the sliders inside the sim?
Also, have you tried tweaking some settings through the Nvidia Panel?
As much as I want to get a 4k monitor, those frame numbers stop me from doing it. I seriously don’t want to struggle playing this sim less or at 30 fps. Yes the visual looks way nicer but eh having to struggle once you fly over big cities idk about that.
What kind of monitor do you have? Is it Gsync as well?

When you are CPU bound no need to upgrade your GPU. I was cpu bound with my old i7 3770K (OC 4,4GHz) and I’m now running an I7-10700K (stock speed) with my GTX1080 (OC) and I’m really happy as I have 60fps 1080p everywhere with mid/high/ultra settings.

If I had a 4K monitor @ 144Hz instead of my 1080p 60Hz TV, using the same settings, I will need a graphic card 9,6 times more powerful than my GTX1080, and AFAIK it don’t exist yet :wink:

Saying that, the 3090 will be really useful for the VR version of this game.

2 Likes

Just like Spinal Tap, an amp that goes up to 12 delivers a killer solo ha ha.

Joking apart, afaik DX11 is limited to 4 cores, but DX12 can handle more cores.

However the improvement over 4 cores/4 hyper threads is not linear, sometimes 8 cores is only 33% better depending on the benchmark.

To be honest, even though I have a perfectly good 2080, I’m also considering the 3080. I’m glad I didn’t jump on it early though. With AMD’s new GPUs announced and on the horizon either matching or beating all tiers of the 3000 series at lower prices (for the most part) and with more memory, we’re likely to see new, faster offerings from nVidia on the high end that are more price competitive in the coming months.

Regardless of what team people are a fan of, competition is a good thing. I’m glad AMD have finally stepped up to the plate and delivered solid GPU performance for a change.

1 Like