Dreadful performance

If it’s really “soon” I wonder why they didn’t wait some months with release… could’ve fixed all the bugs, improved performance… and new hardware from AMD/NVIDIA.

Nobody was expecting it in August so no harm done.

Soon is… XBOX series ONE launch date November 10th
Asobo promised to bring DX12 to MSFS at new Xbox launch…

1 Like

TBA means to be announced, AFAIK, so they will probably talk more/announce the DX12 update by then.

I doubt they will have that update ready for the Xbox release, but I’m sure they will announce the release of MSFS for the consoles and it will probably come with the DX12 implemented.

Virtually every flight starts mid 30’s even in highly detailed airports. By the time I reach the arrival airport it is down to 10 > 15 FPS. This is really baloney. Is there any hope for FPS improvement and this decay factor I think alot of players see?

Welcome to the club.On my setup its virtually impossible to fly out of Paris LFPG or JFK.May be less of an issue on a faster cpu.What I have noticed when the fps drops at these airports my GPU is completely ignored.

LFPG takes the crown for performing the best PowerPoint presentation!!!
DX12 the holy grain to fix our issues. Lets see what it does when its ready to roll.

I think I figured out the root cause of my issue. I’m looking at my CPU clock speeds and every 10-12 seconds they go from 2.5 ghz + down to 0.79 gigahertz repeatedly. It’s not my graphics card. If the CPU stayed at 2.5 ghz plus constantly then I wouldn’t have these stuttering issues.

I looked up the resolutions on the forums and tried switching processor scheduling to background services but it didn’t work. I have game mode on, flight simulator set to high performacne settings on windows. Feel like there’s nothing I can do on my own to fix this until devs push an update, but they already pushed a cpu update already so I’m kinda confused…

Is it getting good cooling or is power management feature in your computer’s BIOS on? Sounds like it’s throttling.

What is the temp range when it drops?

I would have to check on that but I’m on a macbook pro 16 inch so not exactly pc gaming hardware. Nevertheless, this happened once before 2 months ago, then it stopped with an update, and now it’s gone back to doing it with the latest update. Also, it seems that when I upgrade versions of windows it goes back to having issues. Will try to get a cooling pad, maybe that will help.

Hey @Hester40MT also, I don’t know if the CPU is throttling necessarily, because when it used to work, I wasn’t really hitting more than 25% CPU usage overall, and on top of that I have a CPU that is pretty near the ideal specs and scores about 16000 on cpu mark, where the ideal CPU hits 18,000 or so. It is a laptop after all, but it’s an 8 core CPU and I don’t think my laptop is getting a ton hotter than it should be. I play GTA 5 on decent settings and it works fine.

I would check the temperature. I run MSFS on my laptop without issues. When I bought it (Alienware 17 R4), I removed the CPU fan and put better paste on it. It’s a gaming laptop so the fan system in it is good. Can get loud though! Almost sounds like a jet engine - so don’t need the jet engine sounds from the sim. ha

EDIT: When I do use my laptop, I set it on a cooling pad.

1 Like

Okay thanks I will try that and see what happens you’re probably right. I plan to get an EGPU for this setup eventually once we can actually buy the new RTX 30 series cards instead of relying on the internal GPU. Hopefully once a lot of the work is shifted over to the external card it will shift a lot of the heat away from the main unit and I won’t have this issue anymore.

1 Like

@Hester40MT you were correct, I just loaded grand theft auto v on same hardware and I am getting a very similar CPU throttle down to 0.79 gigahertz and I used intel power gadget to see what the CPU core temperatures were, and basically every time it starts rising towards 85 degrees centigrade it starts to throttle back. The stutters are not as noticeable in GTA V but they are there.

I’m pretty new to gaming and was hoping to use my Macbook Pro with an EGPU to play flight simulator without having to get a dedicated gaming PC but it’s looking like if I really want to enjoy this fully I may have no option. I hope a cooling pad can push the temps down to the point where it won’t throttle but I don’t really know how much it can do. At the same time though, I feel that another gaming laptop’s cooling system with a similar intel processor can’t be that much better than a macbook pro’s, so I’m a little conflicted. I hope getting an EGPU can take some of the pressure off the internal system, and I see people hooking up Macbook pros with egpus and playing AAA games, but maybe FS is so much more demanding than anything else that you need a dedicated gaming PC. Lemme know what you think, appreciate all the tips!

I would try replacing the thermal paste on the CPU fan and get a cooler. It’s the cheaper route to test.

Laptops are notorious for heating issues. Dust is another culprit.

I had custom dust filters made for mine (Laptop & PC):
https://www.demcifilter.com (in South Africa)

The cooler pad I got has 3 adjustable/replaceable fans (I needed a cooler pad for 17 inch laptop) so was able to move them near the air intake at the bottom of the laptop.

As far as the EGPU, My laptop too has the thunderbolt, but I’ve never tried them nor know anyone around me that has. So I can’t answer that. In theory, it would seem that would take some of the load.

Great thanks!

Hey @Hester40MT I actually have an interesting follow up on this after some further digging.

So initially I thought this was CPU related, but I downloaded a program called Throttlestop which allows me to disable turbo boost and keep the processor at an even 2.4 gigahertz instead of turbo boosting and thus overheating.

So I started the simulator with that setting on and everything seemed to be going well, and I started getting the stuttering again. So I looked over at task manager and saw that the processor was still at 2.4 gigahertz and did not throttle back to 800 megahertz (0.79 gigahertz), so in that moment I knew it wasn’t the processor. So I opened up windows game bar and, I didn’t notice this until now, but it turns out my dedicated AMD GPU in my macbook pro (that has 8GB VRAM - by laptop standards), is running at 100% at all times, at 1080P resolution, even on the main menu. So the throttling/overheating is not coming from the CPU, but rather the GPU.

In an earlier build of the simulator I was running game bar and remember the GPU hovering in the 50-75% range, which would explain why it stayed smoothe, since the processor was not throttling back either due to GPU overheating.

I have the biggest fan of this series since I was 7 years old, but I just really can’t figure out why end users like myself have to jump through hoops and barrels to figure out which component of my PC is throttling to try and run the game in 1080P on medium settings with a pretty advanced laptop. I’m almost positive the developers need to further optimize this title or fix whatever bugs are in the latest release, but if you or anyone else had any tips in the meantime they’d be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, guess I’ll just wait till I get an eGPU and hopefully that solves everything.

Don’t know what MacBook Pro you have, but have you checked out this video from LTT: Fixing Apple’s Engineering

Might help?

My last post was a general reply, rather than specific to your problem :wink: So had to repost…

…and just noticed this was a MacBook Air, not Pro. So might not be related at all. Sorry…

1 Like

Got my 3080 today, GPU usage is generally less than 50% and barely getting 30fps… (3440x1440, all ultra settings). The only way to make the GPU work harder to to play on a 4K.

My 7820X CPU is also underutilzed, around 20-25% usage in game…

Same issue :expressionless:

@TylerD1975 I actually ended up getting this fixed! Weirdly enough I erased my boot camp partition on my macbook pro and then reinstalled windows and the game, updated my AMD boot camp graphics drivers to latest version, and weirdly enough this is all fixed! Maybe I had a corrupted download before or something. Everything is smoothe (plays very well on medium settings 1080P), and I haven’t had one crash to desktop yet like I had prior!

I’ve been trying to warn people about spending money on GPU upgrades with hopes of better FPS in MSFS, you just won’t see much if any improvement. The sim is actually not very heavy on the GPU.

If you closely watch the core usage of your CPU, you’ll see 1 core working very hard, and the rest of the cores only slightly loaded, thus the 20-25% overall utilization, but high utilization on 1 core.

That leads us to the root of the problem. The GPU is starved for frames to render because the CPU can’t push frames to it fast enough, the sim is just not utilizing the CPU very well. Overloading a single core and probably too many blocking operations instead of async ones.

Don’t rush out and upgrade your CPU! No CPU currently on the market (new CPUs about to release) really improves this by much. The 9900k is the best, but the small improvement doesn’t justify the cost. Really we just need to wait for more improvements from Asobo that distribute the workload better across the CPU cores and don’t block frames being fed to the GPU unnecessarily.

2 Likes