Dropdown lists for changing aircraft and controller profiles

Implementing this would change my life.

2 Likes

Suggestions for improving the selection process of controllers profiles when switching aircraft:
Replace the Right/ Left arrows which are currently used to select a specific profile, with a drop-down list. It is currently annoying to select a profile when you have multiple profiles to go through until you find your target.

Another vote from me for this very feature request.

Was halfway through making my own post when I noticed this one. Would be a really nice QoL improvement and really shouldn’t be an issue to implement.

Many simmers have a lot of hardware and we need to configure that hardware differently for each plane, some are jets some are not, some have mixture controls some not, some have 1 engine, some 2, some 4.

The combination of many planes and a lot of hardware is a big pain today in MSFS, if we create profiles for each plane and device then when switching planes we have to select the profile for that plane in each of our devices.

My request is very small: Change the way to select a profile to a dropdown menu, in this way we can select a profile for a device without clicking the arrows n times until we reach the desired profile.

There is really no advantage in terms of UI using the arrows, if there are a lot of profiles just add a scrollbar to the dropdown.

Related to this: Ability to have separate control setups for each aircraft without having to manually switch between 20+ controller profiles?
But a lot easier to develop and would improve things substantially.

1 Like

Having a dropdown list would improve that UX a lot, but it still doesn’t solve the fundamental issue of per aircraft profiles per device and auto switching.

I’m working on a solution to this here: Aircraft Manager Pro + Location Manager Pro now available - #16 by Sonicviz

Also cross posted to Ability to have separate control setups for each aircraft without having to manually switch between 20+ controller profiles? - #334 by Sonicviz

It’s actually not that simple, given the dynamic nature of device setups and numbers of planes people are now accumulating, but I’m working through it step by step. There’s a lot of potential edge cases, and I’m sure a bunch of unknown ones will pop up.

Early alpha (unreleased) atm. Stay tuned!

At list, the controllers, I have 4 controllers in addition to mouse and keyboard; to avoid issues, I set a new controller profile for each type of aircraft. I have at least 6 aircraft, so each controller has hidden 6 or 7 profiles.

Any time I change the aircraft I have to go to each controller and click until the correct profile shows up, could be the first, could be the 7th, and that times 4 (4 controllers) Really??? That was never Microsoft where minimizing the number of clicks has always been a user friendly must.

And by the way, a drop down menu is the mos basic programming feature we can imagine, here since windows 95!!!

Thank you

Yes, it’s a pain and afaik they are looking into it. But wen fix, who no?

In the meantime, I released Aircraft Control Presets recently as part of Aircraft Manager Pro , which lets you automatically switch device control presets on a per aircraft basis:

Yes, it has dropdown lists too :call_me_hand:

Hi, indeed. There are a lot of things we may wish, many dependant on taste, but a few are just basic common IT sense… reinventing the wheel is not innovation… I said soon after release of MSFS: best simulator ever, worse quality ever… what a pity… I’ll give your tool a go, thanks

Kano

It would be nice if this part could be dropdown menus instead of scrolling menus. It takes forever to scroll thru all my options. Even if there were a search bar that would be great too!

Thanks.

1 Like

Been looking for something like this for a long time! Just purchased it yesterday 06.21.23, I Love It!!! Thank you for the time spent in creating this tool!

I’ve been using the Aicraft Manager (payware) by SonicViz for the last few months and it is -at least for me- a game changer.

Background: I have a lot of hardware and many planes and I like to setup my hardware to replicate the plane as much as possible, so I fly with a stick planes that use a stick, with a yoke those that use a yoke, etc. So defaultish mappings are not my cup of tea.

Before Aicraft Manager: I used to have about 50+ profiles and every time I wanted to use a plane I had to manually change each device to the profile for the plane I want to use. As a direct consequence I started avoiding switching planes and flying one for several flights instead. Also I was very hesitant to do “test” flights because of the need to change all profiles then change them back to previous plane.

After Aircraft Manager: I can now just pick up any plane I want to either, fly or test and all my devices are automatically magically ready for the plane as I want. So I can test a plane for a few flights, then move back to another, etc.

Totally recommend this tool for anyone having a similar situation as I had.

Hey thanks @TiedRaindrop465 and @LuisArgerich !

Glad it’s working out for you and making your MSFS experience a little more productive.

In final testing with some new updates I think you’ll like as well, to make things even more productive, especially for training iterations and really getting to learn an aircraft in key situations and configurations.

Testing testing and more testing atm!

Have fun!

In the Aircraft Manager Pro, the control presets you can alphabetize them once set, but…when you are looking to choose in the dropdown menu can you also make those alphabetized as well? It’s nice to see them alphabetized once you set them up but choosing which one to use could be easier as well if they were alphabetized.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I gather you mean alphabetically sorted by preset name?
Sure thing, already implemented in the work in progress that is now in heavy testing mode.

Just an fyi any issues, bugs, and feature suggestions etc that are directly product related should be submitted via the website product support form at the bottom of the pages: Aircraft Manager for MSFS - Sonicviz and Location Manager for MSFS - Sonicviz

This is a requirement from MS as per forum TOS, as these posts are for general discussion only.

If you want to discuss AM or LM (or both) generally (it’s a bit of a fuzzy area sometime) please use Aircraft Manager Pro + Location Manager Pro now available so we don’t hijack this one too much! (even though it’s kind of related, it’s best to let it roll)

Got it, thanks for the advice. Great! Sounds like things are underway with the WIP! I’ll do as you suggested.

Hi there, first post on this forum…

I would like to suggest an improvement on how users can skip through different aircraft profiles on each peripheral. At present users have to either click on the right arrow or the left arrow to choose the next aircraft profile. With the current system the waiting time for each aircraft profile to be loaded can be quite annoying, especially when you have several aircraft profiles per peripheral and a number of peripherals that need to have their aircraft profiles loaded/changed.

May I suggest the following: make a dropdown list for each peripheral and the user can then choose the desired aircraft profile. This will avoid the unnecessary loading for each aircraft profile until you have reached the desired one. And make sure the aircraft profiles are listed in alphabetical order so they can be found much quicker. At the moment they seem to be in order of the date they were created.

I believe that this could make a huge difference for the user experience of a lot of customers. I have 4 to 5 peripherals installed and when I change aircraft type it is really cumbersome to change all those profiles.

Thanks for considering, would love to see such an improvement!

People, please vote this up!

Better yet, do what SPAD lets you do, and link a config profile to an airccraft, so they auto-switch when chosen from the main menu. The controller profiles in use for a given plane could appear somewhere on that interface as a short, non-descript list.

2 Likes

Sounds good, too. Why not have both options?

1 Like

It may be a while before the microsoft team can put something like this out, but…in the meantime check out SonicViz.com and under projcets look at Location Manager and Aircraft Manager, when I bought this they had a bundle for both. I believe you’ll see exactly what you’re looking for in this these software solutions…

2 Likes