Endless CTD... Please fix CTDs before doing anything else

I will not fill any info, already did in the past.

THE CTD IS NOT RELATED TO THE COMMUNITY (crashes even in safe mode)
The CTD behaviour is completely random and depending on the day, it may happen or not.
It may crash on sim loading;
On sim world map;
It may hungs on flight loading (need to be ended by task manager, since a week ago it happens everyday);
It may crash few seconds after loading the flight, or after few minutes.
It may crash on multiplayer.
Today crashed 5 times, maximum play time 5 minutes, each loading time take longer than flight time.

Is it a CTD simulator? Is it a loading simulator?
Is it a troubleshooting simulator?

The only actual possible cause of few of the crashes is the reset of Oculus drivers. Anytime it happens the sim freezes, 50% of time will continue, 50% will CTD. And sometime the audio switches off until I restart the sim.

Except for that, removing overclock doesnā€™t help, removing community doesnā€™t help. Starting in safe mode doesnā€™t help. Clearing rolling cache doesnā€™t help.

Iā€™m not in Beta SU9. Last time I was in a beta, when the sim decided to reinstall itself all complained it was due to beta (happened a week later of the official release of SU7, and then happened other 2 times without any beta).
But, just not to have someone arguing about beta, next time, no more beta on my PC.

Any hint that is not the classical hint about removing stuff, running programs, free ram, free space, format the PC will be apreciated.

2 Likes

You should look more in this direction IMO.

I feel your pain and frustration but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s something on your machine causing it.

Not saying you donā€™t have valid problem, but I and many others donā€™t have the random CTD problem any more. And my system is really pushed to its limits to run this game. I would EXPECT my system to CTD but itā€™s doesnā€™t. Itā€™s stable.

The last problem I had for any CTD was only due to the first release of the IndiaFoxtEcho F-35. But this was a specific problem with the HUD on this plane which was quickly fixed and now itā€™s stable again. The only problem I have now is too many stutters and pauses but that is because Iā€™m trying to push my system too much I think. Iā€™m gradually trying to thin down what I load to smooth it out again.

Have you tried removing all external hardware and drivers and try just very simple as possible setup?

4 Likes

I agree. There is nothing in general with the software causing CTDs on most peopleā€˜s machines. I donā€™t get them and Iā€™m happily using the program. I think you need to look at your own machine.

4 Likes

Have you tried the troubleshooter?

Tried everything. And sometimes (not always) it crashes also in safe mode.
I already isolated the oculus issue, so I know everytime msfs crashes due to oculus reset (it resets also the audio device and ASW option).
It crashes also when oculus is not running (oculus drivers issue with rift-s is a well known problem).

The reason some people are suffering of CTDs (and are a lot, believe me), and other not (and are a lot) may depends on hardware, software, addons and whatever.
However, Iā€™m not alone to started having these days the simulator locked on the flight loading, it doesnā€™t crash to desktop, it doesnā€™t proceed, just freezes. It started few days ago and Iā€™m not the only one. Drivers? Windows? Msfs? I donā€™t know, for sure is not Nvidia (last drivers are about one month old). However msfs is the only software on my pc creating this kind of issue.

And honestly, wasting hours of free time looking at loading screen for playing few minutes is not only frustratingā€¦ Is much more.

And this not taking into account when it is slow to start due to slow server connection and when during the flight a message appear about lost connection and the scenery turns into the default one (if does not crash, obviously).

Crashed againā€¦ Oculus this time (it crashed as soon as I changed the oculus audio device).
I already tried to remove oculus and check. It still has random CTDs.

I really donā€™t know what to do more. It could be nice if msfs gives an error message when it crashes. At least it could be more easy to understand why.

Also, why msfs doesnā€™t send crash reports to microsoft/Asobo? So they can see how many CTDs are present.

1 Like

I think you are one of the lucky men hereā€¦
Imagine wasting hours to play 5 minutes to your favorite gameā€¦
But noā€¦ it is better to post here accusing me about something which is written in the correct community section reporting a real frustrating problem.

Your answer added basically nothing, was just a troll answer.

If you completed this troubleshooter, followed the links at the end to the other four editions, and completed those with no success, I would submit a support request from the heading at the top of the page.

Tried months agoā€¦ No answerā€¦

Just to test also the ā€œoculusā€ way as Baracus250 pointed, Iā€™ve unplugged the oculus and deleted its drivers, I then restarted the PC, first time msfs didnā€™t started at all, second time started with no issues (flown just 10 minutes then I ended the flight). Third time it CTD in less than 30 seconds after flight start (one of the most common CTDs I usually have).

Actually Iā€™m only with few active addons (I donā€™t want to reactivate everytime them if I remove from community) while all the others are disabled with addon linker.
Actually installed addons are:
Aerosoft CRJ
FBW A320 (dev)
HPG H145
PMDG DC6
PMS50 GTN750
Rex accuseason
TDS-GTNXi
All others (excluding the store addons in the official folder) are all removed.

You shouldnā€™t have to re-activate them if you just remove them from the Community Folder.
Donā€™t uninstall them, just cut and paste them somewhere (like your desktop), then test the sim with the community folder empty.
You do need to prove that they arenā€™t the cause, and you can put them back when you have finished the test.

If this isnā€™t the case, I would enter another support request, they have been quite good at getting back to people lately.

Another thing to try. I donā€™t know what is a good software for it these days (Google it) but a memory (RAM) stress test would be a good idea. You might have a duff stick or bank that causes this kind of thing.

Agree but he said even in Safe Mode it was a problem and I believe that would disable all of everything including MS Marketplace purchases?

It must be higher level hardware/software issue IMO

1 Like

As genuinely helpful as the debugging advice given here and elsewhere is, the OPā€™s message is best summarized in the title: ā€œPlease fix CTDs before doing anything elseā€. A well-designed software does not crash, period. Issues with addons or mods or what not could result in lost functionality or the SW refusing to load with an error message, but CTDs should not be allowed to happen under any circumstances.

Only possible exception would be HW issues like faulty RAM or overclocking settings, but in my experience those also tend to give occasional BSODs in addition to CTDs which makes it easier to debug those.

1 Like

Rebooted in between? After first time was the .exe in Task Manager? How long did you wait?

Thatā€™s trueā€¦ hmmm. Still worth running a RAM check

Last time I had issues with occasional CTDs it turned out to be a thermal issue due to CPU cooler evaporation. So that might be worth looking into using something like CPUID HWMonitor.

If the CTD were because of something in the game then I would agree with you. But the vast majority of people can play it with no problems. Therefore itā€™s probably not something in the game.

If you had proof thatā€™s something in the game was causing the crash then please submit it to Asobo.

If the faulting module is flightsimulator.exe then the problem is definitely the game. A game that is made to be extended with addons should be immune to problems with those addons. There is no good excuse for an access violation crash (0xc0000005) to happen in a properly designed module.

1 Like

Submit the proof to Asobo so they can fix it

That is done automatically.

Really? I donā€™t think so. How do you know?