Erratic Rudder movements on Ground

When Taxiing, but especially when taking off, there is significant rudder movement without any rudder input. In a more severe example the rudder was stuck completely in one direction, without any input at all.

This problem leaves me having to ‘fight’ with the rudder to perform ground movements, and or maintain a centre line.

I primarily use an Xbox controller, and I have tinkered with sensitivity settings, dead zone settings in particular for the Left and Right trigger respectively.

Upon take-off, when airborne the rudder issues cease. However, ground steering is practically impossible.

Zendesk: 127657

Check your assists. Sounds like rudder assist is turned on

3 Likes

Yeah thought this too, but there are no assists on, and as a final measure put True to Life settings on. Its so peculiar

1 Like

I’ve had this on Xbox (and I use a HOTAS One), but it’s intermittent for me.

Check weather.

Set weather manually clear sky + no wind…
Test.
Set weather manually clear sky + 20kt ground level wind.
Test (by placing your aircraft so that you are 90 degrees to wind (a nice cross wind.)

I had similar stuff last winter with smaller aircraft in windy situations.

Fluttering rudder, aircraft weathervaning into wind so much that holding full rudder would still not help keep things straight.

Of course it may be something else entirely but checking the above at least eliminates sim environment factors.

2 Likes

I had the same issue. What I did was to set a “S” shape graph for the rudder axis (reduce its sensibility in the controls menu). That allows much better control while being near the axis center position. The default setting was a slope shape graph which was too agressive for such control and creates many problems to stay in the runway centerline.

Cheers

1 Like

Can be also the potentiometer of your rudder pedals. A few are known to be quite flaky. Increasing the deadzone might help (a bit).

An easy test would be to remove all flight controls to confirm whether this is something external to the sim causing it.

If it works in that configuration, try adding your flight controls one by one.

This reminds me of a prior case where someone had a control bound they either didn’t know about, or had forgotten about.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! Would you suggest an S or inverted S shape? Would I increase sensitivity for both inputs?

Thanks for your response, this would partially explain the problem. After doing as you said and setting weather manually, the problem lessened andI think a lot of the lateral movements of the aircraft on the runway can be attributed to environment, but why would I observe rudder movements from the outside as well?

Because the wind is blowing the rudder.

Of you park your aircraft into the wind with engine off the wind will also move the prop I think.

thats what i do, it helps with the erratic behaviour.

Thisi is what I have. Toe brakes can be linear.

Cheers

Set deadzone to eg 20 and gradually reduce until problem reoccurs than increase slightly b

No. That’s impossible in MSFS.

1 Like

What joystick are you using? I don’t get a realistic aircraft response with a linear curve.
On my Gladiator NXT and the T16000M I’m using -30% on a all axis to achieve realistic aircraft behavior.

Even on brand new high quality equiment I’m using a 2% deadzone to avoid any problems.

It seems you are correct. I just tried sitting in the SR22 70kt wind.
Not a twitch from the rudder in a crosswind.

Windsock straight out.
Grass moving, tree’s moving.
But not a twitch from that rudder. Even tried taking it up the runway a little. Not easy to stay aligned but the rudder was doing what I commanded.

(The prop did continue to spin when I pointed the nose into the wind and shut down though…)

1 Like

If your joystick doesn’t move, the flight controls can’t move either because they would be out of sync otherwise.
It’s a different case with the prop of course.

I use CH Pro Pedals.

Cheers

I was talking about all primary flight controls which means mostly elevator and ailerons.
If you don’t have e.g. a yoke with an identical deflection range as the real one, you need a negative sensitivity curve to compensate for this lack of movement range.