Excessive Icing effect

I tried, but it never got much traction…

1 Like

What was the temperature when you entered the clouds?

Nice post! Except anti-icing / de-icing has nothing to do with in-flight icing, the protective film breaks down during take-off roll and when airborne most of it is already gone. Also turboprops get de/anti-iced with type II/IV, type IV is not preferable I would say, but its possible.

If i remember correctly around +5 OAT and -15 SAT… Probable icing conditions but it was a small patch of white clouds and no visible precip, especially to cause that much ice on the air-frame!

Icing can be very unpredictable.
I’ve once experienced severe icing during a descent through a cloud layer which was so thin that I could see the faint city lights below.

During very close formation flying it also occured that on one aircraft there was ice accretion, but not on the other aircraft.

1 Like

Here’s a video showing how quick icing can form and disappear: (After the 4 minute mark)
Cessna 182T flight in bad weather - icing and turbulence! - YouTube

It seems the immediate loss of performance and lift is exaggerated in sim.

Regards,
G

This guy was just lucky that the ice accretion ceased after ~15sec!
The whole wndshield icing occured within this very short time frame!

Meanwhile, in FS2020…

“Tower, we’re encountering some icing, do you think we could get a lower… nevermind, just call someone to pick us up from this field here. Tell them to look for the Cessna-shaped block of ice.”

1 Like

That’s exactly what would happened to this guy if ice accretion would have continued at this rate.

I would be most afraid of icing on that air inlet and air filter. He is clearly flying in “known or forecasted icing conditions” though, I think some people might not understand this phrase. “There is no SIGMET issued and other pilots have not reported ice accretion so its not known or forecasted” - except when you are flying in visual moisture below 5 OAT (or whatever OAT / SAT / RAT the manufacturer is using), you are flying in known ICING CONDITIONS and therefore outside the limitations set by the manufacturer. Its known or forecasted “icing conditions” not “icing accretion”. In other words, if the OAT is below 5 degrees, you can’t fly into clouds if the aircraft is not approved for flight in icing conditions…

Seems to me like things aren’t quite that clear cut. The FAA talks about “known or observed or detected ice accretion”. They never define “known icing conditions”. Also, “the FAA does not necessarily consider the mere presence of clouds (which may only contain ice crystals) or other forms of visible moisture at temperatures at or below freezing to be conducive to the formation of known ice or to constitute known icing conditions.”

In other words, “known icing conditions” means “conditions in which you know ice will form” either because ice is forming on your aircraft, or it has been reported by other pilots. It doesn’t seem to me like visible moisture and temperature alone constitute “known icing conditions”. But i do agree that it is a very good idea to avoid such conditions either way.

Furthermore, as soon as that guy saw there is icing, he got out of it. So he took action as soon as he knew about the icing conditions.

See here:

Yes could be, all aircraft I have flown the limitation was set in stone “known or forecasted icing conditions”, I have very little time in Cessna’s and I don’t believe I have ever flown a Cessna IFR.

It does, flight in visual moisture below 5 degrees OAT is icing conditions, visual moisture means precipitation of any kind, mist or fog or clouds with a visibility below 1 sm (1600 m). Or standing water, slush, ice on taxiways or runways with a temperature below 5 degrees OAT. The manufacturer might use a different temperature, for the ATR it is below 5 OAT for ground icing conditions and below 7 TAT for atmospheric icing conditions for example. If the manufacturer has described ice accretion as you are saying, then its a entirely different story indeed. And maybe the FAA has a different definition of icing conditions than EASA? Also a possibility.

Well, all i know is that the FAA doesn’t constitute that as sufficient for “known icing conditions”. And, again, i would personally err on the side of caution. Even if the FAA doesn’t consider it, i’d avoid it. Either way, it goes to show just how complex icing is, and a simple “if(OAT < 10 and inCloud == True) then allTheIcing” just won’t cut it.

2 Likes

I upvoted this. I play FSE and it’s mostly General Aviation aircraft. I’ve tried two aircraft to fight off this horrible icing… the Cirrus SR22 which has “Ice Protect” two switches. Yeah, no luck there. Then there’s the DA62 that has an anti-icing system with a wing light. Well, the wing light doesn’t work, and the anti icing, even when set to max does absolutely nothing. I’m forced to fly continuously over desert areas and I’m getting pretty tired of constantly seeing brown. I live in the pacific north west and would love to fly there, but the only way I can do it now is to turn off live weather and set the conditions to clear skies. I hear that there are 3rd party mods out there that try to address all of that, but it seems to me that such a basic and vital function should already be included in a release like this. For $120, I don’t feel like I’m playing a real flight sim. Most of the buttons don’t work, and vital features aren’t even active. Also, could the devs possibly be addicted to icing? LOL. Please devs, fix this!!! <3

1 Like

Are you using the DA62X, or just the default DA62?

This is an incorrect interpetation of the “reasonable and prudent” language in Bell 2009. Read AC 91-74B regarding planning and forecasts.

Which bit is incorrect? I have found no definition for “known icing” in AC 91-74B, but i have found the definition of “known, observed, or detected ice accretion”. The rest is a conclusion based on the quoted paragraph.

Looks like we’ll be getting… something, a bit sooner than June. The bug list for Icing says it’s fixed AND with an Off option, coming with Sim Update 4, on 25 May, which is not concurrent with World Update 5, despite rumors to the contrary, minor yay!

1 Like

The Cessna C172 is not flyable in icing conditions. Ice builds up within seconds and the plane becomes so heavy it literally drops out of the sky. Turning the icing effects to “ visible only” does nothing.

Same in real life…