Expert Series I: ATR 42-600 / 72-600

Question for any of you smart ATR folks. . I was flying to Donegal from Dublin and Donegal has a LOC procedure. How would I arm and capture the localiser? As far as I see there is no LOC button. I switched over nav1 to the proper loc frequency and aligned the course knob. But the v/ILS is for vor or ils only, correct? It didn’t pick up the loc when i changed nav source. Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe I can’t capture the localiser on this aircraft?

Cheers!

Using the NAV button should arm the localiser. Works for an ils approach. Should work for a LOC approach.

Sorry for being slow here, but I can’t seem to find where/how to get the ground terrain map like you are showing here. I can get the WX radar to work, but can’t seem to get the ground map…how to? Thanks

1 Like

You mean switching nav source to v/ils then arming approach? It didnt pick it up because its not a vor or ils?

You don’t arm the approach (i.s.APR button) but arm NAV (i,e, the NAV button). The APR button is really for vertical (gs) guidance.

It is but it gets dropped on import if the runway has wrong syntax eg I05 instead of ILS05 for ATR FMS import. I was hoping soimbrief would fix the syntax issue.

If you look at one of the images in the linked post. You will see ND OVLY section on ND MFD menu. Just select terrain there. It only shows at certain levels of map zoom though. I also usually have the map display as a semi circle just as you see in the images.

1 Like

Okay. Last question. Will it show loc in green on the fma when it picks up the signal? Or just lnav?

I think that it should show loc when captured but I have to admit that I haven’t actually done a loc approach. But I am going to do one!

1 Like

It isn’t an ILS approach at Donegal. When you select the chart on Navigraph it will say ILS in the description.

For that chart you posted I would approach at 3600 ft initially of course, at 205 deg and use your ADF to pick up the NDB on frequency 361.0 and fly in manually.

Edit: For an ILS approach try Aldergrove EGAA RWY 17. Tune your radio to 110.9 approach at 4000 ft on 164 deg. When you are in range for the ILS make sure you switch to approach on you AP and you will see the glide slope appear and it will take you down. You also need to make sure you select your ILS/VOR radio in the AP too. If you look at the chart in Navigraph it will give all the info there and much more.

The addon for Aldergrove is top drawer by the way I highly recommend it. I know Aldergrove works I only did it a few hours ago. I think some of the radio frequencies are screwed because they seem hit and miss as to whether the needle comes alive when in range. I suspect Navigraph doesn’t tally up with sim at all airports.

But it’s also a localiser approach and it should pick up the localiser on nav1 at 110.3. (I am going to fly it tonight.)

Exactly. Id assume youd have to change nav sources to the v/ils nav source to arm the loc and then still press APR. I would assume that would then give you the localiser guidance without the vertical guidance.

Let me know how it goes!

1 Like

Good catch. I can confirm.

1 Like

Funny thing, just did an export, and look like the file look fine :

[CoRte]
ArptDep=NTAA
RwyDep=NTAA04
ArptArr=NTTB
RwyArr=NTTB11
ArptAltn=NTAA
SID=VAIT4E
SIDEnrTrans=VAITE
STAR=RU1B
EnrSTARTrans=HHN
APPR_Trans=
RwyArrFINAL=RNV11Y
CoRoute=NTAANTTB
FltNo=
FltID=VTA439
DctWpt1=HHN
DctWpt1Coordinates=-16.685472,-151.010528

Look like the RwyArrFinal is fine

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks. I would not have thought to look there!

The same here. During VNAV descent the idle detent makes my speed drop dangerously close to the stall range and then just a tiny throttle movement towards from idle shoots me to 240+ knots. Curiously when fully configured for landing the speed control much improves.

4 Likes

Report that in the Bugs section please. I’ve already reported something similar there. Entering the waypoint TRN causes the FMS jam. There’s no workaround for this like is the case for entering airways. Well, the only solution is to restart the flight and avoid entering that waypoint. Apart from that I’m addicted to this aircraft and I hope they’ll solve these bugs.

2 Likes

So the bug I was thinking about reporting with the weights and perf data not properly clearing and updating after a flight for the next leg/flight without reloading the aircraft is actually a bug with the terrible weight and balance tool in MSFS , using the sliders works perfectly but trying to enter a value manually is the problem and I have noticed this is a problem with default aircraft too the CG and weights will be broken sometimes when you try to enter values manually.

TLDR NOT an ATR specific issue.

Honest question: Is zendesk really the way to track bugs for this aircraft? The list is getting long and since this is technically an outsourced plane…I’m worried that the mix of zendesk and forum is going to result in a lot of missed opportunities.

I would like to hold Hans and Asobo accountable for fixing the ATR and I don’t want to give them any excuses…

2 Likes

Zendesk and forum uses the same development ops.

If the bug was logged on the forum, you’d get an immediate “solved” from Zendesk. Solved means the ticket was solved, not the bug or issue.

2 Likes