EXTREMELY slow download speeds in content manager

Negative on that. I’ve seen several reports from people experiencing the same issue while downloading the core sim.

6 Likes

Yeh this is still happening I can confirm.

Xbox Series X, 100mbps connection, fiber optic but it downloads at around 1-2 Mbps.

2 Likes

The problem can not be solved without paid subscription I believe. Too much resources are needed for updates and streaming. It can not be free

I don’t even understand what that means. I have the game. I own it.

But you don’t own the infrastructure needed to make it all work as intended. If you take away the online features you lose a lot. All of that stuff needs to be paid for, including the storage.

For the record, I wouldn’t necessarily advocate some subscription paid service. If you go down that route you introduce tiers of users, those paying, and those who aren’t. Segregation of the user base is never going to end well.

1 Like

Subscription service? Like GamePass? :smiley:

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

i am so … tired of this … One day it is working. The next day it tells me to insert the Game Disc. Then it loads again. And now all Content that I have purchased will not load thorugh the Content Manager. I give up this … and go over to XPLANE12.

1 Like

Happening with the Just Flight BAe 146

I bought this game yesterday. I started it up.
19 hours later I am still not done with the update.
I have a great PC and 1000Mbit connection. Sometimes it downloads at ~80Mbits/s, but mostly it is 2-3…
Why is a game taking DAYS to install and still not be able to play with???

6 Likes

I bought a scenery and it download not correct and takes to long. The servers are very bad

2 Likes

I spent the last TWO DAYS… downloading this game… at 5mbps… then I read here that changing the DNS to Google’s (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) would solve it. And it SOLVED. Downloading at 350Mbps now!

Hello,

Yesterday while playing the game, system crashed 2-3 times for no reason and later when I tried to play the game again, the screen appeared with mandatory and general update ! When I checked the installation folder, I realized that the game contents completely gone ! Again the game began installing about 200 GB and after 5-6 hours (My connection is 100 mbps), I tried to install additional contents inside the game and the speed was only 2.0 mbps ! It will take about 10-12 hours or more to install these add on items. Why is it so slow? Why the game folder uninstalled itself? If this simulation will do this, it will be so hard to install it again and again with 2.0 mbps internet speed. Does anyone have answers for these?
Thank you

1 Like

No one has dealt with this problem for over half a year, how can we trust Microsoft.

2 Likes

In the past I had this problem 2-3 times and tought that this will be the last. Yesterday it happened again. Not there are 150 gb more content to download but the speed is still 2.0 mbps. I have to keep computer on to download both until tomorrow morning. This is so strange.

2 Likes

Same to me in Portugal

Weird one tonight in CM. Download (KPHL updated version released today) speed starts low at 2MPBS for a 3-5 minutes then ramped steadily down to 0.0MBPS (stops) then suddenly shoots up to circa 25MBPS (closer to my more usual speed) then gets to about 75% complete, when download aborts then starts all over again at 2MBPS.

On second attempt, first part repeats as above, then part .002 of the fspackage starts at 20MBPS then quickly drops down to 2MBPS then picks back up to 25MBPS after a minutes delay. Finally installing the updated airport. It’s infuriating. Glad I’m not installing a lot of CM items right now, It’s taking too long.

No change with this technique for me… we shouldnt have to resort to trickery to boost speeds sadly. However, using surfshark vpn took it from say 45 mbit to 85 or so for me (out of around 800 mbit avail on the pipe)

I agree with you. Simmer should not rely on “custom modifications”; Microsoft should handle it professionally.

3 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I am on Starlink and have never had a problem downloading anything before, but with my Steam purchase of MSFS xbox version, it took 38 hours to update the Premium version. Insanely slow for the tech we have these days.

From the November 30 Developer Stream Q&A:

Content Manager Download Speeds

Content Manager download speeds often fluctuate from less than 1 to 150 and back, repeating the cycle over and over, leading to long installation times. This appears to happen even if there’s no current SU or World Update release and is independent from actual user ISP speed or VPN use. Is this issue being looked into, especially considering Microsoft’s status as a major global cloud provider?

Yes, we are looking into that. It’s quite complicated because it doesn’t consistently happen in the same geographic area. I can tell you that it’s almost never an issue here in the Bordeaux area. We rely on two systems for data distribution. The first one is the CAB deposits, and to spread the data globally, we use a CDN. It’s a complex method, and it’s challenging for a client like us to enhance that system. This addresses the distribution aspect.

Regarding package distribution, specifically in the Content Manager, it’s an area we aim to improve. We’ve already made several enhancements to the installation process, the initial process you experience when launching the game or updating. We implemented a process with eight different loads and completions simultaneously, optimizing the load by a factor of five. Unfortunately, this couldn’t be directly applied to the Content Manager due to the existing architecture. Downloading packages, compressing them, and installing them concurrently while performing other tasks is challenging in our current system. However, we are committed to improving this aspect. The good news is that the architecture for distributing packages has been completely rewritten for Flight Simulator 2024. We hope this will eliminate the complexities and reduce the waiting times during updates and package installations, significantly improving the overall process with Flight Simulator 2024.

2 Likes