F-16 by SC Design

Hello fellow F-16 pilot! It was an impressive view on the stream, as we seemed to be two airliners flying in a very close formation :joy:

Not sure who you were, as the simulator didn’t show a tag above you. Forgot to turn on your transponder? /joke

4 Likes

It’s a shame the pilots and drop tanks dont appear on the other players aircraft. Why is this?

1 Like

This is a limitation of MSFS multiplayer at this time. Asobo have said they intend to improve things. We have figured out a way for pilots to show though, will be in the F-16s next update.

3 Likes

Hi Dean, when and what should we be expecting from the next F16 update?

Sometime after SU10, general update, one new livery, pilots visible in cockpit across multiplayer, FPS issue from screens checked out ( although I have never seen a slow-down using them ), possible addition of JFS doors animation, smoke switch fixed, fuel tank code improved, possible addition of Asobo afterburner effect from Super Hornet. Can’t think of anything else at this time - oh, canopy reflections improved.

8 Likes

I can’t wait. Thank you and Scott.

1 Like

Oh this is great news,
Also do you think it’s possible to add a switch to make the pilots visible when inside the cockpit view?

Sometimes I like to fly using an over the shoulder GoPro style viewpoint, but it’s not very immersive without a pilot visible!

Just an idea that I’m throwing out there :slightly_smiling_face:

You can already do that by using custom cameras in the cockpit - it’s only in standard Pilot view that the pilot is not visible :+1:

Oh i didn’t know that, is it possible on the Xbox?
I don’t know of any other cockpit views other than the defult pilot view.

I know how to reposition the camera around by holding the left bumper, but i had no idea it was possible to see the pilot!

1 Like

I discovered pressing LB + Y in the cockpit view makes the pilot appear inside the F-16C though it doesn’t work for the F-16D.

I guess it’s a start though lol

1 Like

LB + Y shows the pilot but when I reset the cursor or should I say Right Stick Click, the pilot disappears. I’m looking forward to see the features Dean mentioned are in the works for the f16. Thanks

Ahhhh

does this mean that the wrong shadows on the glass then disappear ?

They may be tweaking how reflective the canopy is or the tint of the canopy. The reflections disappearing or being “wrong” is just a limitation of the way reflections are handled in the sim.

If you have ray-marched reflections on and canopy effects on ultra you should get fairly accurate reflections of the cockpit but since they are screen space reflections only what is currently visible on screen is able to be accurately reflected.
The rest of the time you’re just getting the dynamic cube map reflections that are a low res reflection of the scenery around you but doesn’t include the cockpit or the plane at all.
So in a bubble canopy like the F-16 you just see the ground reflected when flying upright and the sky when flying upside down.

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.
The reflections are not my problem. The glass of the canopy receives shadows.
And that’s definitely not right. Apparently I’m the only one bothered by this?

1 Like

You might need to show a screenshot of what you mean.

1 Like

O.K.
Here are a few screenshots :slight_smile:

The sun is on the left. You see a correct reflection on the left of the canopy and the completely wrong shadow cast by the HUD on the right.

Here you can see the completely wrong shadow cast by the seat.

And this is what it looks like in the air.
This behavior really annoys me.
The F-16 isn’t the only one. The F-22 also exhibits this strange behavior.
That’s why I think it has something to do with the tinting of the canopy.
The problem does not occur with the crystal-clear canopies.

As an industrial designer, I’m not entirely new to 3D software and rendering. Maybe that’s why I’m so sensitive. But I just know what is right and what is wrong.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hm, that shadow looks like it’s a shadow in the highlight – if the highlight wasn’t there you see the same brightness behind it; so I think that means the highlight is what’s really wrong.

The highlight looks to me like the interior surface of the glass has a relatively matte surface that’s scattering light?

Does seem likely to be related to how the tint’s implemented

1 Like

Anyway
 it’s getting on my nerves :wink:

wrong

3 Likes

I’m not certain that this is a flaw with the airplane but will check it out anyway as the F-16s are being updated soon. If I can get rid of it I will :+1:

7 Likes

Hi Guys,
is anyone of you using the F-16 and Buttkicker with SimShaker for Aviators ? Everytime i klick on “ready to fly” the SimShaker Software crashes. The F-16 is the only Plane where this problem occurs. Its even worse in VR because if i “alt+tab” out of the sim to restart SimShaker, i also loose sound in my G2 completely. that is a bit annoying because the F-16 is my favourite Plane and it is the only one i have to fly without the Buttkicker. So i was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and might have a solution. It happens in 2d and VR, so i think the G2 is not the culprit

Migu