F/A-18 Random Engine Out - Incorrect Fuel sequencing

Fantastic Raynen – top of the line work.

I am just as amazed at what great work you’ve done with a rapid turn around on a fix as I am that they would release something in this state to begin with. Our Xbox flying partners will have to soldier on with the broken system.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Wrong temperatures

I will say it’s definitely been an interesting learning experience, for example, 1 typo on the FUEL DDI code and you get greeted with this;

Discovered this after realizing the BINGO value on the FUEL DDI page is static, working on fixing that to read to the bingo value set in the EFD.

1 Like

woah!
Just one comma in the wrong place and the jet is doomed!

Probably realistic. It’s only the flight control system software that stops the real thing from falling out of the sky. :grinning:

1 Like

Good enough as is for now, available at flightsim.to

F/A18E Fuel System Overhaul » Microsoft Flight Simulator

F/A-18E Fuel System Overhaul 0.8.1

Release Notes:

This mod overhauls the fuel system of the default Asobo F/A18E Super Hornet. It corrects issues preventing full usage of the existing fuel tanks, as well as adds Ferry Tanks for extended range.

Removed unused references to B748i fuel system

Added Feed Tank Fuel Line
-Connected Tank4 to Feed Tank Input Line
-Connected Tank2 and Tank3 to Feed Tank Output line

Increased Wing Tank Gravity Flow to better simulate Motive Flow Pumps
-Adjusted Wing Tank Balancing Triggers to prevent issue where 0 Gal imbalance can cause both Wing Tank Valves to close

Redirected Tank1 transfer pump to Tank4
-Adjusted Tank1 transfer scheduling to maintain optimum CG

Added Centerline and Inboard Drop Tanks (code only, no external models)
-Added

Adjusted FUEL DDI Page to properly display fuel levels of Drop Tanks

Ongoing goals:
Add as separate entity from Asobo F/A-18E

Connect Tank1 to Feed Tanks Input Line for redundancy

Add Tank2 and Tank3 Interconnects to handle fuel imbalances

Source external models for Drop Tanks

Adjust FUEL DDI Page Internal Value to only show tanks 1-6

Adjust FUEL DDI Page Bingo Value to match current Bingo setting

Add Pylon and Drop Tank drag

Installation: Copy folder “f-18e-ferry-mode” to your Microsoft Flight Simulator Community folder

As this has branched out enough from the original intent of this thread, further development of the mod will be documented here;

3 Likes

Great!

Should this also be compatible with the Super Warrior mod, or only with the default Asobo aircraft?

I haven’t tested, but they’re free to incorporate these changes into the Super Warrior if they wish.
Edit, at a quick glance both modify the flight_model.cfg file, so likely will have some compatibility issues. I’ll take a closer look.
Edit 2: Installing both as is, the fuel overhaul works, but you will lose some of the enhancements of the Super Warrior mod.

I’m curious, is it possible to add an extra, separate mesh and somehow tie it to the main mesh without physically being part of it something like a group or a child of the main? Just trying to think of ways to add geo for some drop tanks.

Yes, I noticed some conflicts, too. Specifically if both are installed at the same time (I’m doing it with Add-On Linker), the slider bars in the fuel menu don’t properly reflect fuel in each tank. In my case, I started at 50% fuel, and all sliders stayed at 50% even when I was at low fuel. The fuel display in the aircraft seemed to be correct, and the single fuel percentage number that shows up on the external view HUD was correct, but the sliders in the pull down menu were wrong.

I uninstalled the Super Warrior mod and the sliders then became active with your fuel mod. I also saw the active transfer happening from the external tanks to the internal tanks while sitting on the runway.

So, I will need to be selective on how I choose which add-on. If I want to do carrier launches and landings, it will be Super Warrior. For most other things, I’ll think I’ll stick with the stock Super Hornet with your fuel mod until future improvements come. Liveries are also not automatically supported with the Super Warrior mod at the moment either (without modding .cfg files, which I do not want to do).

Maybe one day everything will be merged together in the Super Super Hornet.

Thanks again!

You can merge thesse two mods into when first: copy and paste the [Fuel] and [Fuelsystem] from the fight_model.cfg into the warriors flight_model.cfg. Step 2: copy and paste the html_ui folder into the warriors mod. Step 3: Copy and paste these lines from the layout.js into the warrior layout.js:
{
“path”: “html_ui/Pages/VCockpit/Instruments/FA18/Shared/DDI/FA18_DDI_Fuel.html”,
“size”: 4659,
“date”: 132799066160000000
},
{
“path”: “html_ui/Pages/VCockpit/Instruments/FA18/Shared/DDI/FA18_DDI_Fuel.js”,
“size”: 6948,
“date”: 132799066160000000
},

For me it works!

Mod looks good, but adding fuel pumps instead of setting the Gravity based FF to 33000 may be a better way of solving the wing fuel flow.

The wing tanks in the real jet work on motive flow and not a pump, the gravity flow was the best way to do so.

Motive flow is a type of pump. I went with the electric as opposed with the engine control tho, since the sim setup doesn’t allow to use both engines for each pump, as it is in reality. It’s either one or the other unfortunately. I figured this way if they add wing inhibit it will be more controllable for fuel flow.

Well done Guys. A good discussion.

I’ve had such a great time today - out of Valley (courtesy of superspud and skell) in North Wales just practicing, practicing and practicing AOA Approaches.

Tricky but doable and far easier now you know you haven’t got impending Fuel Doom!

I haven’t yet read this loooong thread (if I read all the details!)

I got the left engine to quit several times. Video below. Not sure exactly when it quit; around minute 13 or 14.
I felt a lack of power at 14, and I show at 14:30 the engine is out.
Is it a protection measure to avoid getting too low on fuel, a bug, or did I fly her too hard?

You should read the long thread, because contained within it is a fix to the bug you described!

So it IS a bug!
Another bug!
What causes it?
I don’t really want to modify some text files, because what happens when FS starts, will it see some F18 files were modified, re-force a download of the original files, then I am back to square one?

What do I need to do to avoid the engine quitting?

NB: It would be good if the top post would briefly mention what the problem is.

I voted!

Not so much a bug, more so flawed programming. The fuel system works exactly as coded, it’s just coded incorrectly.

1 Like