Famous Flyer III: Beechcraft Bonanza V35

I came to the topic to ask if this was ever going to be updated, but found it was closed. The mods kindly opened it again, but in the meantime I had opened a wishlist asking for it to be updated. Please add your vote there.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/update-famous-flyer-iii-bonanza-v35/591640?u=enjonuk

5 Likes

Thank you! Was bummed to see it locked when I came to check on an update a few days ago. Never thought to do a wishlist item. Hoping theyā€™ll get around to an update in the near future.

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming I know the answer to this (no) but has anyone heard any rumblings about an update for this bird? Iā€™ve seen a few updates for other carenado planes lately but not this one.

The issue is it isnā€™t, technically, a Carenado plane. Itā€™s MSā€™ plane that Carenado developed. I think the process for any updates would have to be initiated by MS. This pretty much goes for all aircraft MS has commissioned.

3 Likes

Why do you need an update?
Not much point in asking for an update if we donā€™t know why?

1 Like

wow, ok. Sorry to have offended you.

As to why specifically, a couple reasons Iā€™ve not flown it in a while due to conflicts between the AP not getting along with the updated WT 530 in addition to other little things such as not being able to monitor comm2 while using vatsim. AP functionality was the biggest problem for me, but perhaps it has been resolved. As I said, Iā€™ve not flown it in quite some time.

Surely there are other items that could be corrected? Or is it a perfect add-on? I was only curious.

You didnā€™t offend me.

I was wondering what needs to be updated.

It doesnā€™t sound like it needs an update if you donā€™t know of anything that needs an update. At least thatā€™s what the developers and Microsoft are going to think.

I read up the thread and couldnā€™t find any recent issues.

2 Likes

Were the AP issues resolved then? I guess I just need to get in and try it this evening.

Iā€™ve got about 35 hours up in this aircraft and havenā€™t noticed any issues at all. The only issue I find is that the trim can be a bit sensitive at times. AP works fine for me too, Iā€™m on Xbox.

I remember now what it was. The altitude pre-selector doesnā€™t work how Iā€™d expect it to, or at least how it works with the Black Square Analogue aircraft. But maybe itā€™s a slightly different version thatā€™s modeled. Or itā€™s just straight up wrong. I donā€™t have the expertise to verify that.

Flying around a bit a while ago, it seemed to work after some trial and error, but the ARM & ENG buttons are what behave differently. With the Black Square planes, you dial your alt, hit arm, press in the alt knob and select your vertical speed. In the v35 you dial the alt, hit ARM (but nothing lets you know that youā€™ve armed it) then select your vertical speed and hit ENG and it seems to capture the altitude. According to the Black Square manuals though, the ENG is not used unless you want to hold a certain VS but donā€™t have an altitude selected. But again maybe itā€™s a slightly different pre-selector/autopilot system. Idk.

1 Like

Thanks for the details on your needs!

1 Like

The V35B has a separate KAS 297 Altitude Selector. You can still download the actual manuals for it from Bendix-King - it works as the manual states.

If you want to bypass using the KAS/KAP combo, PC users can install the PMS GTN750 which has a separate AP panel. Iā€™ve even been able to use FLC mode to climb. You just need the full PMS license and JayDeeā€™s GTN750 on Others Mod.

1 Like

The KAS 297 doesnā€™t currently play nicely with the WT GNS530, you have to do some quirky work arounds with it. Thereā€™s also animation discrepancies with the trim wheel not displaying the correct value for any trim setting other than 0, and the pitch attitude in the AI not correctly displaying pitch values other than 0.

Those are just off the top of my head.

3 Likes

The KAS 297 in the V35 here seems to operate much differently than the 297B in the Black Square planes. I wouldnā€™t think theyā€™d be massively different, but Iā€™m not an expert, nor have I used them irl. I donā€™t remember it having any problems before the new working title GNS units were incorporated (although to be fair, that was a looong time ago and I could be misremembering). Iā€™m wondering if these issues were introduced with that update (like Iā€™m inclined to believe and like Raynen also mentions), or if the unit is functioning properly and is just different to use than the units Iā€™m used to in the Black Square add ons.

Like I mentioned, I do think I was able to figure out how to get it working, but Iā€™m just not sure itā€™s getting along with the updated avionics the way it should.

I just flew the ā€œFork Tailed Doctor Killerā€ for the first time in quite awhile.

This is a really good add-on. It hand flies extremely well and the typical Carenado attention to graphic detail makes it a pleasure to gaze upon.

I hope, as the sim continues to mature, that these MS commissioned aircraft will not be abandoned. Many of them are really nice.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, the KAS 297 doesnā€™t fully work as the manual states.

ARM is no longer displayed, nor does it display CAPT when the KAS 297 determines when the round out should begin for the preselected altitude. Iā€™m not sure if ALERT is shown anymore either. These did work, once upon a time, prior to the new 530/430

Try following the example on page 92 of the ā€œPILOTā€™S GUIDE FOR THE KFC 150/KAP 150 & KAP 100 FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMSā€ this pertains specifically to the KAS 297.

The ARM button will incorrectly level the plane and turn on altitude hold. VS ENG will also not capture your current VS for Vertical Speed Sync. ENG on the KAS 297 seems to also toggle ALT on the KA 185 Annunciator panel.

Sure, once you learn what it does wrong you can work around its faulty behavior and make it do what you want butā€¦

It would be nice to have these things fully functional. Itā€™s a fun planeā€¦

Considering the WT530/430 is the default in the sim now the V35 should be updated to no longer need the WT 530 add on.

Itā€™s a nice plane to have and Iā€™ve zero regrets with this purchase on xbox. (Think 70 hours or so total flying with it)

The V35 just needs a teeny bit of love. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It definitely has something to do with the WT GNS upgrade with me, I removed it and it worked like a charm again. Showing the ARM, ALERT and CAPT messages on the LCD. It also doesnā€™t show the 99000 ALT that crops up.

2 Likes

Has anything been logged on zandesk for this?

I nominate @Aanith since they were able to so nicely and expertly explain the AP issues afflicting it. haha

2 Likes