February 5th 2025 Developer Livestream - Discussion

Maybe put it in Excel so the kind of groupings and sorts you’re suggesting could be done as the reader sees fit?

Was there any talk about upgrading the UI ?, it is a lot less professional looking than 2020, a downgrade in my opinion.

Yeah. There was. Actually a couple times

i’m really disappointed about the fact that they didn’t talk about weather and clouds issues that are shared by many users in this forum

Right from the start I understood they released a product they knew wasn’t ready, they needed “more time” as Jorg himself said during the live stream. They don’t know their product to the level they should before releasing it.

Trying to get a picture of the number of people working on MSFS.

Jorg says 800 people working on MSFS, but Martial says 180 working on Flight Sim at Asobo - so who are the other 620? Is he referring to all the other developers like Working Title, IniBuilds, Gaya, Orbx, etc?

At about 6:20 Jorg said

  • about 71 testers on the Microsoft side
  • about 20 testers on the Asobo side

At 6:50 Jorg said

  • we had 800 people working on this project

At 7:14

  • We did this Tech Alpha from Oct 11th to 14th
  • We had it on for 60 hours
  • We had 17,000 people join us

At 7:55 re “next time”

  • Proper Alpha for months
  • Beta for months
  • Finding phase for months
  • About a year in that state (before release)

At 1:08:26 Martial says

  • I used to be a tech guy, I’m not anymore, so I’ve got plenty of things to do and well we still have like 180 people working today on Flight Sim…

I’m so glad the team has heard the VR community’s request for quad views loud and clear. We really need it!

Yes he is.

This was an excellent stream. Very candid commentory from Jorg and the others. This level of honesty and focus on key issues needs to be continued for future live streams.

I agree with the suggestion above, that if going through a bug list it would be better to group them together. This might reduce the amount of “jumping around” that goes on.

Would also like to see the Wishlist items gone through.

In a previous stream last year, Jorg mentioned that number which include their 1st party partners lîke Inibuilds or WT. Asobo is talking about their own company, and as far as I recall those numbers haven’t changed much since last year. This is consistent.

I liked how Jorg was strict at times toward Martial Bossaro. He sometimes ignored questions and went over too quickly after which Jorg whistled him back.

The story continues to make no sense.

Thank you for the stream. I particularly liked the Introspection section at the beginning. It’s encouraging to see the team finally acknowledging the amount of bugs present in the sim, and the willingness to decrease the flood of new content in order to focus on bug fixing. Although it wasn’t said out loud, the acknowledgement of the need to have a lenghty alpha and beta test “next time” indicated to me that the team also knows this game shouldn’t have been released in this state.

Now, a few things about what else was said during the stream:

  • Sebastian’s comments about graphics on Xbox: I personally never use Quick Resume on my Series X, I always force quit every game, so my MSFS 2024 is always restarted from scratch every time. I also don’t use sleep mode on my console, it’s properly shut down and started every time I play. Still, the terrible LOD, the low draw distance and extremely blurry textures are there. So while it’s plausible that Quick Resume causes further degradation, the game looks bad even without it, so quitting and restarting the game does not fix this problem. The Xbox version needs more optimization and I hope it will be done.

  • About ATC: If I recall, it was a recurring theme during the MSFS 2020 lifecycle that the team had long-term plans with improving ATC. It never came to fruition. I don’t know if it was a promise, but at least my hope was that 2024 would fundamentally improve the ATC system out of the box, yet it’s basically the same still. So I’m a bit skeptical about it ever improve in a meaningful way, even if it’s now Working Title making the claim.

  • Finally, the bugs: I might have misunderstood something but Jorg said the testers identified ~50,000 bugs during development, of which ~32,000 were fixed. Does this mean the simulator shipped with ~18,000 bugs? Now, if we assume every Sim Update manages to fix a thousand bugs, the simulator would still need more Sim Updates than 2020 got in its full product cycle. And that’s assuming there will be no new bugs introduced, and already fixed bugs not being re-introduced. Even if we’re talking about ballpark numbers, I think I was right that the sim would’ve needed a year of delay and an alpha/beta testing period instead.

All said, looking forward to the final SU1 release notes.

I hope one of the Community Managers picks this up and passes it to Jorg/Seb/Martial, but Martial’s reply about the encryption in the Twitch Q&A stream is not entirely accurate. From my understanding, the planes in the Standard version of MSFS 2024 were unencrypted back in December of 2024. That’s good, because it means the Standard version planes can be modified and enhanced by the Community now.

However, the Deluxe and Premium Deluxe planes are still fully encrypted in MSFS 2024. This is a setback from MSFS 2020 where the Deluxe and Premium Deluxe planes were partially unencrypted, which allowed the Horizon Simulations team to develop the popular Horizon Simulations 787 mod, which was a mod on the Working Title 787.

We are asking for the same functionality we had in MSFS 2020 - the partial unencryption of Deluxe and Premium Deluxe planes in MSFS 2024. This will allow the Community to make mods for the Deluxe and Premium Deluxe planes that they could in MSFS 2020.

Here is Martial’s reply and he seems to have missed out on the fact that Deluxe and Premium Deluxe planes are still fully encrypted in MSFS 2024:

With regards to modding Jorg said that everything can already be overridden/modded.

Does that mean that we are able to change the only available livery for our own aircraft in career mode? Doesn’t even have to be a new one, just switching it out for one of the other liveries which are already in the game.

Can we expect to be able to chose liveries in career mode for our own aircraft with the release of Marketplace?

Seb seemed to be blaming the airports for the VRAM problem, so the relevant developers are working to make them more VRAM-friendly.

Even if this were true, for me that is not a solution. It’s like me saying I can’t climb stairs, and my doctor telling me they will solve it by taking away the stairs in my house.

There is definitely a basic problem with the VRAM itself, exacerbated by the switch to DX12, but I didn’t come away with the feeling they accepted that. Once they think they have “solved” the current problem by modifying airports, my fear is that they will store it away in the “Solved” cupboard and ignore it. Over time, scenery and airports and aircraft will be upgraded and released which are more and more VRAM-hungry, and over time my fps will gradually be eroded and I will end up back at square one or worse.

It looks like my 11Gb of VRAM is not sufficient after all.

Would have been nice if all the moderators/CMs were on the same page.

Being repeatedly told to not ask questions until the right time by moderators, whilst Jayne is asking questions from chat, and Jorg is requesting them…

Quick resume is fine for a few flight if you are only flying a Cessna, hence why they noticed the degredation over time and blamed quick resume. But as you say, it’s from the very beginning in anything bigger and they need to start testing airliners on Xbox to get the full picture of what is going on

One thing that really gets on my nerves during these streams is that they can’t speak for 2 seconds clearly and without getting stuck. When you know what to say and how to say it, you don’t get stuck. I’ve also noticed that they’re talking about something and suddenly they change to something totally different and in the end the message is so confusing that you’re left like this:

As always, the question of an offline world like 2020 in 2024 is answered halfway or not at all and everything is put in the magic solution of the rolling cache, really, it is so difficult to say whether or not a level 3 world will be implemented as the SDK says in 2024