Finally.....Solved CTD issues... for those of us with < 32 GB ram

Hellooo friends!!

I have 16 GB of ram, sometimes I have random CTD. What would you recommend me considering that I have 2 drives… C: where windows is installed and D: where MSFS is installed.

What do you think would be the best option for intial size and maximun size in each drive?

I would be very thankful for your help, honestly I dont know nothing about virtual memory, even I dont know how it works :see_no_evil:

Thanks a lot!

Ok this is what you need to do.
I have a 16Gb ram system as well.

In Windows10 select System, then, Advanced System Settings.
That will get the “System Properties” pop-up,
Select “Advanced” from the top tabs, and look for the Performance section in there.
Click on “Settings” in the Performance section and you will get another pop-up box called “Performance Options”
In there, (Whew!), see “Virtual Memory”, and click on “Change”
You are finally at the spot.
The recommended sizes are 1.5 times your ram size in MB for the Initial Size, and 3 times for the maximum. (I personally went to 4X) so, with 16 gb of ram, your Initial should be 16 x 1.5 = 24 (24000 MB), and the max is 16 x 3 =48 (48000) MB
If the drive that this file is on is not size restricted, you could go to 4 x 16 =64000 MB.
There are no ill affects from this unless you go too big or too small.
The page file should be on your fastest drive.
This is an area where functions that run in ram are put when the ram is getting full.

1 Like

Thank you soooo much for your help!!! I really appreciate the time you took to explain step by step evtything :sparkles::pray:t4::hugs:

1 Like

The custom pagefile recommendations that are given here work. I now have no CTD issues!
Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks.

I could not understand where the storage in the C: drive was going.

I had installed FS2020 4 different times and at one time
had the “Rolling Cache” at 30GB on C:. Plus some other programs.

Clean Install via MS Created Installation Media on a USB fixed it.
C: created with 100GB of the 500GB M2 SSD.

I only let Win 10 install on C:. Plus the “Program Files and x86” files and
FS2020 (only the 1.09GB initial) . FS2020 on D:\FS2020 (106GB).

C: is now at 53.4GB used and 44.5GB free.

I think the 30GB Rolling Cache was reserved by FS2020 somehow (I think ?).

Yes, of course, that’s exactly what it’s supposed to do.

The rolling cache in the sim is not what we’re discussing in this topic though. We’re talking about windows virtual memory settings. Something different entirely.

Sorry. I was just responding to MichaMMA.

I thought Rolling Cache was disk storage reserved for it (Scenery).
Virtual memory is disk storage reserved for it.
Both take up disk storage.

Anyway, that was my thinking. Sorry again.

ah sorry, missed your previous conversation with MichalMMA. Yeh, it’s generally bad to have almost no room left on the disc.

ähmm… it’s Windows with all of it’s restore points, temp files, etc. and then of course the page-file.

Why you split your 500Gig SSD ?.. this is not really necessary and creates trouble like yours ( not enough freee space ). Simple use whole SSD in one 500GIG Partition :slight_smile:

PS:: default rolling cache of MSFS is a 8GiG File.

Hi.
I keep my Windows 10 on C: drive.
I keep only windows 10 on the C: drive…
I create the C: drive with only 100 GB.

If I need to re-install Win 10, I usually do a “clean” install.
Wipe C: and install Win 10.

I doesn’t affect any other programs like FS2020 on D:

Right now, C: is now at 53.4GB used and 44.5GB free.

ah… as this reason.

Now you have the free space in mind. If you run lower than 15GiG you should check for possible windows-cleanup :slight_smile:

I am getting this error now, this is new for me and started after UK update AND I have 32 gb ram.

I tried updating to AMD GPU drivers 12.2.2 (optional) and same thing.

And again, I didn’t get this error until after UK world update…

I fly online with streamers and tried one change - fly without multiplayer on. I did a flight for about 40 minutes, no crash. Turned on multiplayer did last leg which was 93 nm, got within 15 nm of landing, game froze, shut down, and brought up the AMD error log saying the the GPU drivers quit working.

So I don’t think it’s RAM related and it might be tied to something else because when I had my last two crashes today I was watching my CPU and GPU utilization and they were all normal and only 16gb out of my 32 gb was being used.

This has something to do with the update and seems to happen with people every update. I’m at a loss.

Just an FYI, GPU is 5700 XT raw ii, AMD Ryzen 5600, 32 gb ram, MSFS on a 1 TB SSD, I use the logitec yoke and 2 panels, thrust master rudder pedals, installed a brand new 750w gold PSU.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.13.16.0, time stamp: 0x602a34d1
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.28.29334.0, time stamp: 0x5fa9a822
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000014b4
Faulting process id: 0x32d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d70641bf1c4b1a
Faulting application path: F:\Steam SSD\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140.dll
Report Id: 3c6b9bfb-8507-4b64-b0ff-900ce48cc3bc
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

That error (0xc0000005) is a Windows10 error.
Are all your Windows updates current?
Did you do a google search for that error number’s solutions?

I have no idea about this error, it’s completely a new error that I experience it seems that it’s only while playing in multiplayer. My windows is up to day and when I put in “MSFS and vcruntime dll error” it brought me here. This is outside my level of understanding when it comes to software. :frowning:

Seems you aren’t alone.
Here is a link to another thread on the same subject:

I think my problem may have been on something I did prior to the UK update - I had purchased the logitec flight panel then a couple days later bought the panel that has the autopilot and whatnot - so I have the yoke, TM rudder pedels and two flight panels. When I bought the first panel I installed 8.0.313.0 plugin software, then I bought the second panel and thought “I need the drivers for this panel now” went and “not thinking” got the plugin software 8.0.150.0. I was not aware that logitec had created an “all in one” consolidated software set for ALL their panels so that all you need is one plugin software to run them all… :frowning:

To try this out I went on twotonemurphy’s stream but was only using a extreme 3d controller and flew multiplayer with over 60 other pilots for about 1.5 hours over the new terrain and no issue - BUT at that time I didn’t know about the plugin thing I had done yet but because I didn’t have an issue it led me to think it was something to do with my panels. I checked my driver version on those and then I saw the issue.

I removed the 8.0.150.0 plugin, which strangly enough cause all my USB ports to stop working so I had to reboot. Then I reinstalled the 8.0.313.0 drivers and rebooted.

I then hooked up all my panels, yoke, and rudder pedals and jumped into multiplay both E USA server (yay it was working again) and N. Europe server and flew for about two hours, switched planes a couple of times, flew over and landed at 3rd party airports, and no issue.

Was that the problem? I have no idea. There is so much to MSFS especially the heavy server side interactions it is impossible to track anything down and say for certain. I’ll be joining another stream today with a lot of pilots and we’ll see what happens then. I’ll post if I still get the crashes. /shrug

It’s nice to hear you found a possible solution.
Keep us up to date.
Good luck and good flights!!

sadly after almost 2 hours in a stream flight this morning, same error plus a new ,NET error. I’m having someone with a much bigger brain than mine look into it. Seems like a software conflict with something else is the problem… We’ll see.

No, I think that could be a different matter.
There are numerous CTD flights being posted about since the update.
Flights of more than an hour seem to be a consistent theme with all of them, so whatever is occurring, time is a factor.

1 Like

I’m also wondering if it has to do with multiplayer because I fly with it turned off for hours on end and I have no issues.

Get on multiplayer and it seems to happen at random, usually after an hour. Also there always seems to be at least one time where I “cross a server line” and loose everyone then we get syned back up. IDK. It hurts to think about anymore. I’ve never recalled a piece of software I’ve loved so much yet had so many issues with.