[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

Did you really not get my joke?

I did. Do not presume that I didn’t.

If you are referring to this:

• Improved flaps system of aircraft: Aircraft creators can now move the wing surface’s position and camber with each flap system at each flap level

My reading of this was that it was more a physical change in how flaps can be modelled. Neither you or I can categorically state with any certainty whether this is so or not.

No. It is how you can configure flaps in the cfg files. You have new possibilities, more influence. And these parameters have to go into the “beast”, the integration flight dynamics calculation simulation core. Your many parameters are condensed into fewer “beast variables”. Tampering with cfg parameters and “convert from cfg parameters to beast variables” has always the danger of breaking the “beast”. And Asobo did it again - sadly.

3 Likes

Based on what has been occurring I agree probably not…However anyone who calls themselves in QA (manager or otherwise) should be adamant that basic sanity or regression is done for every release…not just checking what’s changed. I understand a complete all feature test is very difficult in a title this size and is probably beyond the scope if you want to get something out in reasonable time…but as I said before just landing with almost any plane someone should have pointed out something wasn’t right - unless you dont understand the game you are testing.

1 Like

You can wait untill the fix is out. Or you want the fix released before the problem?

Problem is already known and a solution has already been told to public. So there’s nothing keeping them to apply that solution on their part, instead of leaving the code tampering to consumers. Let’s see how they will manage to do that with Xbox players…

2 Likes

I mentioned a couple of times that that the quality deficits may relate to their DevOps model. If something breaks in the build process I strongly assume that it is related to exactly that. Regression and unit testing should be automated and the build process only produces an artefact if all tests are run through sucessfully. I think they still have a lot of manual tests that the run as part of the release process - which in my oppinoin shouldn’t be the case. But enlighten us ina Q&A and esplain the community their development process.

You can download Salty 747-8 + Flight Dynamics Bug workaround at MSFS 2020 sailplane or Salty 747-8 + Flight Dynamics Bug workaround • Flight Simulator 2020
I even improved the flight model a little!

1 Like

Hi all. I read the above discussion with interest and want to try to give my two cents. As Asobo has stated they inadvertently merged a part of code. At least that is how I read their quite open hearted message. So yeah, a small error in the merge process leaves planes floating longer than they should. The fix will be here in two or three weeks. This weekend I flew a few parts of the Patagonian bush trip and could land the X-cub albeit with a little more difficulty and half the flaps that I normally would retract (due to the 2x-bug). No problems at all and I had a great time.
Why do some people get so easily out of balance caused by a honest human error in a simulation game? Asobo has apologized and is upping their build process. They are learning, like we all do every day. We make mistakes. It so easy and cheap to unload on these people. Yes, the game is still in development. Yes, things will continue to break in the future. But I am sure that the only thing that Asobo wants is that we can enjoy virtual flying across the world. Let’s applaud the mindbogglingly great things that they already achieved. Let’s give them a big warm thumbs up for the perfect timing to deliver this game during this pandemic, bringing so many people together in ways we could not imagine a year earlier.
Yes, it’s so easy to slam down a company where people work their ***es off to get things done ASAP. We will complain when they delay, we will complain when they ship too early. Can’t we stop this ventilation of negative energy? It doesn’t bring us anywhere and I hope that Asobo employees aren’t reading this thread too much because I would be very sad if I did, knowing how many extra hours I had given to make this possible for the customers.
So come on. Give the great people of Asobo a break and show them some foregiveness. The game will only improve further and further from here and see where we are already!
So here’s to all the great people of Asobo. Keep up the great work. You are delivering a miracle to the world. A complete game-changer! Thanks for all the energy that you put in this game for our enjoyment!

8 Likes

Time to take off those rosy specs.

I flatly disagree with you, but admire your efforts to rationalise the matter, so thank you for that.

4 Likes

This addition to the community folder applies the temporary work around to the excessive flap lift issue suggested by the development team for the aircraft config files that can be edited.
I flight tested it with the TBM 930 and it did seem to work. Approach to landing at 80 with full flaps resulted in a solid feeling full stall landing with little or no float. I have not yet tested other aircraft.

4 Likes

Rosy specs keeps a man relax :wink:

2 Likes

Well said sir, and a positive outlook helps no end too. I am so glad that some of the people in this forum are not involved in running the development of the sim or indeed hopefully they are not involved in any workplace where people’s contributions matter. I know that a surefire way to not get the best out of people is to keep hitting them with a big stick

3 Likes

I don’t think most people are upset because they made a mistake and broke something - at least I am not.
As you said, making mistakes are part of human nature.

What is upsetting people - including me - is that they know how to fix it - or at least have a basic workaround - but decide to not send it out but ask customers to fiddle around with config files, if they like. But Even then, those Aircrafts premium and deluxe customers paid extra money for cannot be fixed by the user, as the files are DRM encrypted, while they could have easily provide us with a package for the community folder to fix ALL aircrafts before heading to their well deserved weekends.

THIS is the upsetting part of the story. And every paying cusatomer has every right to be angry and voice it, when a company knows how to workaround a bug, has the possibility to do so within minutes but simply refuses to do so and ask us to wait till next month.

10 Likes

I’ve been able to spin the Extra. It has a fairly violent wing drop. Try power off stall with 10 degree pitch up.

If you look closely at the aerodynamics video you can see the piper cub slide sideways as well.

1 Like

I agree with you. Slamming the developers when they are making such an effort to be transparent in their development process seems unreasonable to me and it can possibly lead the developers to be less transparent. It certainly is frustrating when things go wrong after each update but it should be clear to all by now that this truly amazing sim is and will continue to be under development for some time to come, and we are all along for the ride. Enjoy the ride, provide constructive feedback, and stop the negativity.

4 Likes

You choose the easy airplane. The Xcub has in MSFS 2020 a (L/D)max of 10. The TBM930 has a value of 17.4 and the A320 is even higher. Please land TBM930 and/or A320 and report.

I agree with you: No Asobo programmer or tester should be ashamed of their work. They improve the product! It is management I do not like. Somebody has to sit down and has to REALISTICALLY calculate how many person and how much time is needed to do the job. Grinding personnel down in CRUNCH is not the correct way to do business. And yes, I totally believe that it is hard for a manager to say NO. But sometimes NO is the right answer. For example: We have NO time for enough testing, therefore we do not tamper with the flaps system.

1 Like

Nobody, I hope, is blaming the individual developers at Asobo. If anyone is, that’s not OK at all. I think it’s clear they are very capable people.

To release an untested change, by accident to so many users and then not rush to fix it. That’s not developers that are making “a mistake”. That’s a failure of the structure they are working in. And this is a big project, with big budgets. They can do this correctly if they want to.

The fact that they delayed the update for three weeks - for quality reasons - and the reaction afterwards (we’ll fix it later) just make it worse. Combine this with the already existing frustrations from previous issues and you have upset customers. This is a very normal reaction. What you are seeing is customers that are losing trust in the product.

Every update, they have a chance to silence most negativity (barring some people who will never be happy), but every update they have failed to rebuild the trust of their customers. Despite the great stuff and hard work put in the World Update III.

I bet the developers themselves can tell the difference between some toxic negative customers and genuinly upset customers.
I’ve dealt with both and the former don’t bother me much, but if a customer of mine is genuinly upset then I will not be complaining about how negative they are. I will be upset too and will do everything I can do to help them.

7 Likes

I fly most of the time the TBM. I didn’t play with the simulator till the last UK update so I didn’t notice before. Today I saw the speed is completely corrupted. Before I was approaching with 45% of the throttle and full flaps, now with 10% or less and full flaps I’m still above 100knots.

So, completely messed up. The question is how the hell is this possible and most important why they don’t fix it asap? The scenery is great but to be honest from a simulator i would expect a realistic flight behaviour and not playing an arcade of the eighties

1 Like