Fly Under / Through Structures

My first post on these forums involved looking for folks who are “distracted” by bridges. If I would have done my research properly, I would heard about the famous invisible wall before stuffing up plane after plane. Ah well, I did run across a few where it is possible.

Thankfully, I’ve pretty much given up on the urge to try every bridge. But there is still the need to do more than just fly over and around. I simply have to give under and through a try on occasion.

Instead of bridges, I started looking for structures of any sort. In case there are like-minded people out there, here are a few that I’ve found thus far. If you’d like to add more to the list, please feel free to respond with the same sort of information so folks can find them easily.

Structure: Eiffel Tower
Type: Monument
Airport: LFPO
POI?: Yes

Structure: Shanghai World Financial Center (a.k.a. - The Eye Of Sauron)
Type: Skyscraper
Airport: ZBBB

Structure: Samson and Goliath
Type: Gantry Cranes
Airport: EGAC

Structure: China Media Group Headquarters
Airport: ZBBB

Structure: Gateway Arch
Type: Monument
Airport: KCPS
POI?: No (why is it not listed?)

Structure: The Arch
Airport: VHHH
(extra credit for flying through the hole with your wings perpendicular to the ground)

Enjoy!

B4W4P2T
Discord: B4W4P2T#8578

6 Likes

You can fly under the sky bridge at KDEN. There is also a tight overpass that can be flown under/through at KDEN. If you go to the 12:35 mark you can see it here: Air Traffic Controller Interview - Podcast - YouTube

1 Like

Earlier versions of MSFS I flew a 747 upside down under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. They are very aerobatic with only 170 lbs payload and 5% fuel.

4 Likes

On the correct heading, you can go very low over the Hoover Dam and then under the bypass bridge. The harder trick is to turn around and go under the bypass bridge and then over the dam. In the longitude, not something slow like a baby cessna…

There’s a hangar at JFK, close to RW 31 with no doors.
Very funny to fly through it, and even more when you do it inverted

2 Likes

I believe you can also fly through the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. Use of a small aircraft highly recommended (and you still may have to bank 90 degrees ;)).

I am glad that I am not the only pilot with an urge to „fly under / through things“ :wink:

1 Like

Approved. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Something must have changed with the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. On an earlier release of the sim, a friend and I flew through the arch several times successfully.

I’m rather hoping we can fly under the Millau Bridge in Aveyron when the France/Benelux update happens. I tried it before and it was a bit of a disappointment :frowning:

One is still able to fly under/through all six of the structures I originally listed, including the Gateway Arch. Did I possibly confuse people with “POI?: No” when listing the famous monument in St. Louis? If so, I apologize. I only included that in my post because it is the only one of the original six that is not easily found as a Point Of Interest on the main map where one sets up a flight plan so you simply have to fly around the area and search for it.

Kind of like the hangar near JFK that GONEFLYING1234 pointed out. It certainly ain’t gonna be found as a POI on the flight planning map, but man-oh-man was that a fun one to do…thanks!!

Thanks for clarifying that about the Gateway Arch B4W4P2T! That was my misunderstanding.

The Ohio River just until you get to Cincinnati, then there are one or two that you go splat!

With PG off of course I dont think there real bridges when PG is on.

Google the location of the Fremont Bridge in Portland, Oregon, USA (not a POI on the flight planning map). It is pretty easy to spot in the sim, as (if I remember right) it is the northern-most bridge in a series of about 7 or 8 that span the Willamette River in that city. The bridge isn’t hand-drawn in the sim, so it doesn’t look like the real thing. However, even without modifying any settings, if you are careful … woot !!

Indeed, bridges are very frustrating in this game. But once in a while the effort does indeed pay off. The only advice that I can give anyone wanting to give bridges a try is to stay away from the hand-drawn bridges. I was never able to successfully fly under a hand-drawn bridge. (Note that my attempts at the Hoover Dam bridge were done in a “baby Cessna”, so maybe that’s why I couldn’t get that one done…or maybe I just ain’t that good, haha!).

Honestly, I hadn’t thought about this until tonight. After a quick check around the area, I think I may have found the ultimate playground for the under / through enthusiast.

Fly straight east from KCNY for just a couple of miles. Once you realize where you’re at, I think you’ll agree that THIS is the place to be! I found and confirmed that two (Landscape and Delicate) can be flown through, but there are potentially many more to be discovered for those willing to check it out. Heck, the scenery is so beautiful that it’s worth the time even without making any of your own attempts. But I’m pretty sure that you’ll be too tempted!

1 Like

@B4W4P2T I can add a bridge here: since WU-4 we have a flyable Adolphe Bridge POI in France… LonShark posted it in the screenshot challenge.

See below my version. I now think we both crashed… it is very difficult to fly anywhere after passing under Adolphe bridge :grin: maybe my approach is to slow, but Cessna L19 hasn’t got the power for the lift needed. After that bridge you got trees and buildings… Maybe a Pitts can do this easily ?

1 Like

Thanks ArcanePython931…I’ll have to give that one a try tonight!

I’m keeping my list and there have been a few additions since posting this thread. For anyone wanting to give it a try, check out Kokonoe Yume Otsurihashi in the Oita Prefecture of Japan (pedestrian bridge, but hey…still a bridge). Simply fly out of RJTD and add the POI to your flight plan. Plenty of room to fit most any GA plane through it, and possibly even a larger plane for those willing to push the envelope a bit. Have fun, and of course, always make sure the insurance premiums have been paid prior to taking on any of the structures listed in this thread!

B4W4P2T
Discord: B4W4P2T#8578

A little rough on the exit, but I can confirm that Adolphe Bridge is doable in a Cessna 172 without crashing. I approached headed East, pulled up (or should that be UP) and veered South on the exit. Stall warnings, but no crash. And best of all, no “invisible wall” on this one!

1 Like

Good to know it can be done… gonna try again… by the way I have to correct myself, this bridge is not in France, it is in Luxemburg.

Adolphe bridge
Fly it easy

4 Likes