FlyByWire announce A380

Not sure why they are making an obsolete plane?

1 Like

Impossible, this team is priceless :sunglasses:

Looking forward to the A380, Loving the 320NX every day!

7 Likes

They are indeed priceless

Because it is not obsolete just because YOU donā€™t like it DONT mean others donā€™t. I canā€™t stand pmdg but others do. Thankfully like everyone else you have a choice you can download it or not the sim wonā€™t break if you donā€™t I stalled it but I can guarantee for fact you will download. Because it had the word free

8 Likes

Thatā€™s the hottest take on FBW that Iā€™ve ever seenā€¦how does fly by wire eliminate the sensation of flying an aircraft?

If you say so. Judging fromā€¦ MSFS? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Please stay on-topic to the aircraft announcement. Thank you.

1 Like

Iā€™m ATPL with type rating on ATR72, 737 and 320
Before you criticize me , know me.

1 Like

Letā€™s say that just point the dot into the cross in FD and thatā€™s it. Sit back (literally) and relax

Perhaps Asobo devs are moonlighting? :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not trying to be the killjoy here, but how would you even get clearance for a freeware study level sim from Airbus, Thales or Honeywell?

You need to license things and get permission for recreating systems on a study-sim level. Otherwise you are screaming to be shut down quickly. You also only get access to certain data with manufacturer clearance.

So I am not holding my breath on this one. Maybe it will be study-level on the surface, but probably not as close at it would be with Airbus endorsement.

Sooo siked about a380

I counted almost 90 people who have made at least one change to the A32NX. A smaller group have made multiple changes.

Itā€™s very much a flexible community effort and there will be transferable Airbus code and skills.

They will be able to create libraries of code that can be shared across multiple Airbus planes.

Apart from engines, exterior and more cockpit screens there is a lot in common between the two planes.

1 Like

IMO not a good choice .

In the latest episode of In The Hangar podcast the deve team talked about the A380 project in great depth.

4 Likes

Flybywire have a huge team that is a mix of full time programers and also from msfs users so i think they are way more capable of running 2 projects side by side. I mean the a320nx is already here so its not like they are doing 2 projects from scratch side by side

1 Like

I donā€™t see a reason why Airbus wouldnā€™t endorse this, itā€™s free marketing, as far as i know, guys from FBW are already in talks with British Airways for simulator access, i would assume BA wouldnā€™t do that without Airbus permission.

The Airbus family share many modular software systems, to provide a consistent FBW experience across all planes.

From my 35+ years experience developing complex software, they could dig themselves into 2 very steep holes if they donā€™t plan to share code in libraries. Depending on how far the A32NX and A380 progress it could be inevitable that sharing has to happen - there is an improvement in efficiency from sharing code.

Whilst the work does not overlap at the moment, it will eventually because the Airbus is a flying computer with a common software architecture and almost identical pilot hardware interface (throttle, flaps, spoiler, FCU, MCDU etc.). Also there are optional features announced for the A320, to support the extra monitors on the A350 and A380.

I predict sharing from Q3-Q4 2021, time will tell.

Where did I say Airbus would not endorse this? They probably will if FBW seem credible enough to endorse them.

But FBW have to ask and not just do, is what I am saying. If they just develop the aircraft with information from the public domain it will probably not be that close to the real thing to call it study level. For anything that requires access to manufacturer data, they need Airbusā€™ help and consent. Using a simulator and getting access to the underlying data are two different things and just sampling values from a LEVEL D sim also isnā€™t the same as having access to propriatery data from Airbus.

This data however is normally not for free and not freely accessible. That is a problem when you want to create freeware. Intellectual property rights are very complex and we will see what Airbus or Thales will say.

I think itā€™s terrific! Who wouldnā€™t want to fly an office building! Plus itā€™s a plane that rarely, if ever, gets simulated. Unlike the painfully predictable lineup of Boeings and Cessnas that always parade out of every simulator, itā€™s something different! Especially in the airliner field.

Iā€™d rather developers spend time on something new/different for a change, instead of just rehashing the same planes all the time. Plus the A380 is a gorgeous plane! Even if itā€™s not fully study level, Iā€™ll be happy if I can click on the fasten seatbelts sign with a satisfying ā€œdingā€. Looking forward to where this goes :slight_smile:

3 Likes