Flying Across the Silk Road: Istanbul to Beijing in 11 Stages with SeedyL and FactualGull

Hello MSFS pilots!

The Silk Road was an important over land trade route connecting the Western and Eastern worlds. At its peak, it stretched approximately 7,000 kilometers between Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, India, and China. Not only were goods traded along this route, but it also facilitated the exchange of knowledge, arts, and culture. In 2014, the United Nations decreed a nearly 5,000 km section of the Silk Road between China, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

FactualGull and I will be flying the entire length of the Silk Road (Istanbul to Beijing) in MSFS in 11 stages, one leg per week over the next three months. We welcome other pilots to join us on this journey, and we will be sharing lots of facts and trivia about the history, culture, people, food, and drink as we traverse nearly the entire length of the Asian continent. We have planned the following itinerary, with each leg estimated to have a flying time of approximately 3-4 hours based on a cruising speed of ~120 knots. Please note that this schedule is tentative and could change:

Date Flight
Saturday, January 9, 2021 Istanbul, Turkey (LTBA) to Aleppo, Syria (OSAP)
Saturday, January 16, 2021 Aleppo, Syria (OSAP) to Baghdad, Iraq (ORBI)
Saturday, January 23, 2021 Baghdad, Iraq (ORBI) to Tehran, Iran (OIII)
Saturday, January 30, 2021 Tehran, Iran (OIII) to Mashhad, Iran (OIMM)
Saturday, February 6, 2021 Mashhad, Iran (OIMM) to Samarkand, Uzbekistan (UTSS)
Saturday, February 13, 2021 Samarkand, Uzbekistan (UTSS) to Kashgar, China (ZWSH)
Saturday, February 20, 2021 Kashgar, China (ZWSH) to Korla, China (ZWKL)
Saturday, February 27, 2021 Korla, China (ZWKL) to Dunhuang, China (ZLDH)
Saturday, March 6, 2021 Dunhuang, China (ZLDH) to Lanzhou, China (ZLLL)
Saturday, March 13, 2021 Lanzhou, China (ZLLL) to Luoyang, China (ZHLY)
Saturday, March 20, 2021 Luoyang, China (ZHLY) to Beijing, China (ZBAA)

All flights start at 8pm ET / 5pm PT (0100Z) and will be livestreamed on my Twitch channel at https://twitch.tv/SeedyL. We will have multiplayer mode enabled (West USA server) and encourage any interested MSFS pilots to join us on this very unique and historic journey to the East!Jamnuamr2021 16, 2021 6:00 P1Jamnuamr2021 16, 2021 6:00 P1

24 Likes

Hi

How can i join?

We’ll be flying on the West USA server starting at 8pm ET / 5pm PT (0100Z) on each of the next 11 Saturday evenings taking off from the airports listed in the table above. If you’d like to follow along with the livestream for commentary/historical information/trivia/etc., we’ll be casting from https://twitch.tv/SeedyL. I’ll also share a .pln file for each leg of the journey in Twitch chat.

What aircraft are you planning on using for these ?

I’ll likely mix it up between weeks for variety, but it’ll always be a GA plane.

1 Like

oh, i didnt even know this was the plan for saturday streams for the next few months. up until i checked the events calandar i just found out existed on the forums

2 Likes

What skill level is required to join? I’m totally new to flight sims, can take off and manage some semblance of landing. But definitely know nuts about comms and navigation.

this will probably be similar to previous live streams SeedyL has done, where anyone can join as long as you can fly somewhat in a strait line. you should usually know which direction to go by watching the live stream, or even just seeing where everyone else is flying

1 Like

Hi @SpacyBody907,

As @stw222 mentions, you don’t need advanced flying knowledge to participate in these flights. As long as you can take off, fly in a straight line, and perform some gentle to medium turns, you’ll be fine. You don’t even need to know how to navigate over long distances – just follow the group. Feel free to set your own difficulty options in the sim, for example if you want to turn crashes off or reduce the realism of the flight model to make the plane easier to fly. The Silk Road tour is more about exploring the world in MSFS and discussing history, culture, people, trivia, etc., then it is about serious simulated flying. Hope to see you join us on January 9th! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great! Thanks guys will join in on 9th Jan

2 Likes

Speaking of which it would be a good idea to do advanced flying tours with certain altitude restrictions for each phase of the trip :slight_smile:
Or only inverted flights during certain parts :smiley:

1 Like

Stage 1 of our journey across the Silk Road is tonight, January 9! Our flight plan is Istanbul (LTBA) > Ankara (LTAC) > Kayseri (LTAU) > Adana (LTAF) > Antakya (LTDA) > Aleppo (OSAP). Come join me and FactualGull at https://twitch.tv/SeedyL for some casual and relaxing flying as we share plenty of facts and trivia about this historic trade route and the people and culture along its path. We will be starting at 8pm ET / 5pm PT / 0100Z. Multiplayer mode (West USA server) will be enabled for anyone who wishes to fly with us in MSFS.

You can download a .pln file for Stage 1 at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fndsns2iesivmr/2021-Jan-09%20Silk%20Road%20Stage%201%20Istanbul%20to%20Aleppo.pln?dl=0

2 Likes

This was terrific. I was only able to stay for the first leg, but still worthwhile. Thanks for organizing!

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you can join us again for future segments! :slight_smile:

Who’s ready for stage 2? \o/

1 Like

Arrrrr… wrong timezone for me (2 AM).What a pity :cry:

Where can I find the flight plan for the 1/16 flight?

Hello everyone!

Stage 2 of the Silk Road journey (Aleppo, Syria to Baghdad, Iraq) is tonight, Saturday, January 16. I’m super excited about this flight, as we’ll be traversing the Fertile Crescent, one of the most historically-significant regions in the world. FactualGull and I will once again be joined on audio comms by our friend and history expert, AnimeBirder.

You can download the .pln file for tonight’s flight here: Dropbox - 2021-Jan-16 Silk Road 2 Aleppo to Baghdad.PLN - Simplify your life

1 Like

Will there be a voice chat channel on discord for the ones flying with ya’ll?

there is the voice channel on Seedy’s discord, but this is mostly him flying the route on his stream and anyone can join in on the flight