Frametime Spike = Stutter, Every 60 Seconds

Already is. Going to swap modem/router and see if that improves things.

1 Like

My startup is clean. Only loading Realtech audio stuff. I disconnected PC from router and ran it straight to cable modem. The only virus stuff I run is what is with windows. Added MSFS to overlook it, turned off real time protection…you cant seem to completely turn it off in windows any more. I just buikt this PC in October. BIOS is up to date. Drivers are up to date…I am telling ya, I cant get to the bottom of it.

I truly appreciate all of the help from you guys, truly.

Jim

2 Likes

Good luck, man. Hoping it’s something easy and basic. Gotta go. I see at least 10 other planes at the airport.

Take your PC to a friends house and use his Internet connection… maybe you can eliminate either your PC or your Internet that way?

1 Like

Update:
I downloaded and ran the “Heaven” benchmarking software. I did not get the frametime spikes every 60 seconds. Maybe it is the game engine?

I wonder if others are having this issue, but maybe it is masked by other stutters and the each 60 second thing is being mixed in with other stutters.

2 Likes

It really surprises me that nothing shows up in the dev mode counter. Even the tiniest little blip should show in the graphs.

I just replaced my modem, am getting good speed on ethernet and wifi, and still the stutter lag freeze every so often. Im really wondering if Asobo/ MS made some changes to the engine/ servers/ sim performance in the background that we would never know about. Because something changed. I had smooth performance since the sim came out in august.

1 Like

I just flew about 15 minutes with the Dev FPS counter on. The spikes seem to coincide with a dropout in CoherrentGTdraw. I recorded it and will edit in the link when it is available.

I understand that CoherrentGTdraw is the tech they use to make 2d UI, like panels. I wonder if its the GTdraw actually causing it or if something else is causing GTdraw to drop.

Are you using the Steam version?
I had the same issue, I had installed Steam on different drive (HDD)
I noticed that spikes in HDD activity coincided with drop in in GPU utilisation to 0, and stutters, which occurred every 60 secs or so.
Removed Steam and reinstalled on the SSD where’ FS also located , this done the trick

Hope this helps

No sir. It is the MS Store version. The only Steam game I ever had was American Truck Simulator Demo. I uninstalled it and Steam this morning. Thanks for the idea though.

1 Like

I run the Microsoft store version of MFS. I also only have 1 SSD and both steam and mfs are on it. But steam is never running when MFS is.

Oh, heck. The new drivers weren’t the solution, either. Pretty sure it’s not on my box, though. In a multi flight with about 30 other planes. It still freezes up occasionally, but when it comes back, I was in the same location and the other planes had flown on for the equivalent time frame.

I was having massive stuttering in game. I disabled the overclocking profile in MSI Afterburner and set back to default clock speeds. Stuttering went away.

2 Likes

Here are screen shots
this is just before the spike:

Next is at the time of the spike. It shows limited by GTdraw as the spike occurs:

Lastly, just after the spike. It goes back to normal:

Here is the video. https://youtu.be/aIY9b3nn-7Y It’s 16 mins long and boring but it shows the 60 second spike/stutters under different conditions. During periods of no sound is when I have RTSS open adjusting FPS limits and moving the OSD.

1 Like

Can confirm there is a spike in frame time on my system as well at 60s intervals which corresponds to a spike in CoherentGTdraw. I only consistently see it in external views with my graphics quality set at low-end. I was running about 90 FPS.

This is also using the C152.

1 Like

Hey, Blueline308. I’m the guy with the random 2 second pause. I thought that my issue was an upstream data issue. During the multi-flight, the other planes would “skip ahead” of me about 6 blocks with every pause. It looked like I was losing internet connection.

I don’t do VR, but do know that it needs really stable drivers. The forums suggested rolling them back. Great suggestion. One of the members said that if the drivers don’t specifically mention improvements for a particular program, don’t install them. I had to go back to August 2020 to find drivers that didn’t immediately pause on take-off. Other than trying to get back the great tune I had, I think I’m good.

It’s a long shot, but it might be worth a try. Good luck, man.

Have you tried monitoring network activity alongside your other monitoring? Is there any correlation to network and spike?

Another thought… Try turning off ATC logging.

I have monitored the network. Ive also turned off all data within game. Cant tell a difference. As far as ATC, I have ATC set to manual and tune to another freq so ATC doesn’t communicate with me. I am not sure how to disable ATC logging. Would elaborate please?

I was searching the forum, researching your issue and came across a fix for stuttering from back in sep/oct. Apparently once the ATC log gets to the point where a scroll bar is needed it causes a refresh issue. Someone even wrote a JS that eliminated the problem for quite a few users. A bit over complicated when turning off ATC logging in the options had the same effect. It doesn’t make any difference whether the ATC window is open or not. Just a case of too many lines in the log.

Was a long shot, but figured I would throw it out there. Never know with this kind of issue.

I think, if you are not seeing any connection to the spike in the network traffic, we can rule out network or caching.

Oh well. eliminating possible cause is almost as good as finding the cause. At least we know what isn’t causing it.

3 Likes

I guess I have never noticed the ATC logging setting before. Ill try that the nest time I fire it up.

Thanks for the idea. I bet it will be some little thing like that, that I have overlooked that will fix it.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes