Frametime Spike = Stutter, Every 60 Seconds

It would be interesting to see if there’s a setting that can be changed. Like I said I can reproduce the spike, although it’s not rate-limiting in my case.

It only affects the FPS for a brief moment. Actually brings it to its knees, but just for that microsecond of the spike…hence the stutter, Oddest thing I have seen.

Right and I can see the frametime spike in CoherentGTdraw on my system, too. It’s just that I’m GPU-limited so I never see a stutter. I think it’s something everyone could reproduce if they tried.

I think they could too…Nothing I try helps. I have unplugged everything from the PC except for the usb keyboard & mouse, and load the game and sit on the runway and still have the spike. I guess its baked into the game.

Take a look at your PC settings. In particular things like malware scanning. You can exempt your MSFS directory from being scanned. I also found that my personalization settings were causing something similar. I had the background slideshow set to change every minute. When I changed that to every 30 minutes it made a big difference. If the problem occurs, for example, at the top of each minute, it is likely to be an issue with your OS settings.

Thanks. Ive checked that. no slideshow. have exemped fs. Still there

Do you have a WiFi card in the computer? I had exactly this problem in P3D several years ago - a sudden frame rate drop every 60 seconds. It was caused by the WiFi card doing a search for nearby networks once each minute.

1 Like

I also have some weird stutter every few few seconds at locked 40 Fps. So, frames are high but noticed that the coherentGTdraw is causing this. I can monitor it with the inbuilt developer FPS counter. CoherentGTdraw is related to the display refresh rate of the glass cockpit avionics. I am only experienced it with the A32NX mod by fly by wire. Every other default aircraft does not have these weird stutter. So, either the A32NX mod is badly coded or there is something wrong going on with the coherentGTdraw and the displays in the A322NX. I already reported it in their Discord channel, because I think it is something on their end going on, because I don’t have it with every other aircraft, but got no attention by them. BTW cockpit refresh rate is set to medium and haven’t had that problem few weeks ago. Maybe one of the last patches of asobo had broke something. I don’t know what is causing this, I tried everything. Anyway that stutter are disgusting.

Hi, count me in. I locked frames at 30, set monitor to 30Hz and get fluid experience. But every 60 seconds i get very quick drop to about 20 fps. I’m using latest C152 community mod.

Blueline308,
I have exactly the same issue. It’s more apparent for me since I use vr and with a headset you’re more sensitive to it.
It’s a shame this is happening since I can see that this is the only sort of stuttering that’s affecting me. Everything else is silky smooth.

Searching other threads it seems that this CoherentGT draw is a regular issue, which is annoying since there’s no apparent solution.
I will verify tomorrow if this is what is causing the stutter(I identified mine from MSI afterburner frametime graphs, which showed it every 60 seconds, and the stutter was exactly the same as yours). It definitely isn’t a hardware issue since my GPU and CPU aren’t at fill usage.

Will report later - but I recommend you dont bother uninstalling everything else any further - I don’t think it’s that, but more something due to msfs code

Posted about this long ago with zero success:

I’m still suffereng this issue after updating win10, drivers, etc. No problems with any other software, even fs20 ran fine until suddenly this started. I posted on 20th october.

1 Like

If you dont mind, I would like to compare hardware configurations to see if we can find a common thread.

MSI MAG Tomahawk Z490 MB
Realtech audio onboard
Intel 1GB ethernet
Intel 10700K
NZXT 280mm AIO cooler
Crucial 2666 RAM, 64 GB
Zotec RTX3070 GPU running 461.03 drivers
WD 500 GB M.2 NVME SSD for windows
Samsung 1TB 960 EVO SSD for all else
Fractal Design Meshify C case with USB 3 ports on front panel (2)
Super Flower Leadex III 850W 80+ Gold PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64
100 Mbs cable internet (very stable & consistent)
Ports forwarded so teredo is open

I have:

AMD 5800X (just upgraded today from 3700X, problem was present then too)
ASUS PRIME PRO X570
2TB Sabrent NVMe SSD
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD
Corsair 750W PSU
Corsair 680X
Ethernet internet, works fine
4 x 8GB 3000Mhz CL16 RAM
MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X(upgraded from 2080 Super few days ago).

Our hardware is quite different generally. But as I say, I think this is to do with msfs rather than a problem on our side.

I agree with you, but I was hoping there was something in common. I think it may be happening to alot more people, but it is being mixed in with other stutters, so it isnt being identified as such.

Thanks for sharing

Good(or bad news depending on how you view it):
I have zeroed in a little closer to what is causing my issue.

The 60 second stutter only happens during bush trips. I cannot seem to replicate it in free flight.
I have attached these three images below that show what I am experiencing.

The first image below shows everything as normal. I’m getting 60 - 65 FPS, and the counter is saying that I am limited by GPU, which is right.

The second image shows the next frame, which is the first part of the stutter. As you’ll see, it now says: limited by manipulator, and that it has dropped.

Then on the third frame it now says limited by mainthread.

I have also uploaded this as a Youtube video so you can see the stutter(it is at around 46 seconds into the video):

You will see the frametime graphs next to manipulators and mainthread completely drop when the stutter occurs.

So for some reason, every minute something ‘hiccups’ on manipulators, followed by mainthread, which seems to total to a 350ms stutter. Otherwise, everything else on my computer works fine.

Blueline308, it would be great to hear firstly whether your stutter also occurs because of bush flying or in general. Either way, please verify by using the developer FPS counter as I have.

Cheers

I have never done a Bush Flight, so no, mine is in regular flying. I will try a Bush Flight, who know, maybe I wont see the spike in the Bush…lol

2 Likes

Long shot - turn off desktop background slideshow if that is turned on. This can cause spikes like this, especially on 4K, if set to change the background image every minute

Its not on. Thanks for the idea though

I also had these stutters, but I changed the nvidea driver to an old one from october. The stutters are there, but not so extreme like with the new driver. So perhaps it is a driver problem.

But neverless I also have this problems only with the flybywire mod. So something is changed or it was in one of the last updates of Asobo…

Ive noticed the issue is much more pronounced when using the FBW A320 Mod, no matter the Dev version or stable version. Issue is still there using other aircraft but not as bad as with the FBW A320.

1 Like