Freelook with mouse causes controls to freeze after SU5

The MSFS platform and how is developed worries me a bit.

Im currently a X-Plane 11 user, and I bought MSFS when it was released to see if that could be my new main simulator.

Its over a year since MSFS was released, but if feels its still a beta product. Every update seems to break something, and you never know if or when it will be fixed (like this issue in this topic)

Addons like aircrafts, scenery, tools etc. costs alot of money. So its like a investment to choose a simulator with many 3rd party addons. Over the years you may spend thousand of dollars in quality addons.

And now that PMDG removed the DC6 from the x-box store and Microsoft commented: Microsoft reiterated this point saying it “will likely take a few more months ” to issue the fix for Xbox users.

Months? Really?

And why is the PMDG 737 also delayed? It must be a nightmare to develop and maintain a product when the MSFS is like a moving target like it is now. And the updates from MSFS are also forced. Not like P3D or X-Plane where you can wait to update to make sure if your favorite addons works with the new version.
Do I want to be forced with updates and not sure If any of my addons works ?

So my point is. Do I dare to invest anything more in MSFS ? I really dont know, but its on hold for now. Maybe it needs another year to grow and mature!?

The bright side is 
 X-Plane 12 is looking promising. I will for sure take a look at that when its getting released.

Anyway. This is just my opinion. Its sad to see that a “simple” bug like this aint fixed yet. And no feedback from the devs.

Happy Christmas and stay safe.

7 Likes

I’m still having the same issue, has anyone found any workaround or solution to fix this bug? I’m used to looking around while I am landing on X-Plane 11 so it’s quite hard to get used to this bug.

2 Likes

My question is: how do we get this on the devs radar? How do we get it on to their bug list? The community managers say it has been logged, but what does that mean? Is it on their list, or is it “yes it is logged, we’re not fixing it” ?

I’ve given up by this point, unfortunately.

I know me and multiple others have made good reports to Zendesk. Besides that, we’ve all been pretty good at upvoting this thread as well as giving detailed descriptions on here.

I don’t think there’s anything else that can be done, really. Asobo still seem more or less unable to handle the scope of this project :confused: I don’t know how else to say it, really. We still have several issues (not small, core interaction and UI things) introduced in SU5 that are still to be fixed despite good effort from multiple good folks around here. It pains me to say as well, because I really love this game and want it to succeed. And now it seems there are more pressing issues like live weather not working either.

The community managers have been pinged multiple times on this, and other threads, with no response. Nothing to be done about that either.

It’s just overall a sad state. This is the most constructive way I can say it at this point.

[EDIT]

I think it should speak volumes that we have a thread that was originally started back in July with not a single peep from any official sources. It’s basically been going strong since then. But nothing. Not even a single tiny little sentence of “This is being actively looked at by the team.”. I know it’s been tagged as “bug logged”, but I don’t really know what that’s supposed to mean. It can range from “Bug logged as nr. 5000 on the list of other low-priority miscellaneous bugs” to “Team is actively looking at it and working to fix it”. And I don’t believe it’s the latter, seeing as in one of the latest developer Q&A’s on Twitch they didn’t even know what the status of the bug was, ultimately believing it to be fixed.

Well, it’s not, and no-one is acknowledging anything.

6 Likes

Asobo is more focused on xbox players than PC players
 and thats a fact.

1 Like

No, this is not a fact and absolutely an incorrect assessment of the situation.

They have, at least, logged this bug, whereas the Next Pilot Position bug that affects every single Xbox user as it is a default keybind has not been logged. Plus, there are a myriad of other issues as expressed in this very good thread.

I somehow managed to get rid of this bug and middle mouse click resets zoom bug for a short while. They came back after a short flight during which I changed TCA sidestick profile.

What I did was outlined in this post:

To fix this issue, you need to delete your cloud save on your PC.

This will delete your Microsoft Flight Simulator save data.

Please do the following:

1. Open the Microsoft Store.
  2. Click on the Three Dots menu and then click Settings.
  3. Make sure your Offline Permissions is set to ON
  4. Start Microsoft Flight Simulator, once you’re on the main menu, quit the game
    5.(they told me in a second email to skip this step, because, obviously, I couldn’t get to the main menu)*
  5. Disconnect your PC from the internet
  6. Quit Microsoft Flight Simulator
  7. Copy and paste your LocalCache and LocalState folders on your Desktop (for example), located by default here:C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache
    C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
  8. Then head to your Windows 10 Settings → Storage → Apps & games → Microsoft Flight Simulator → Advanced Options -->Select the Reset button.
  9. Once done, move the saved folders from your Desktop to C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\
  10. Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator
  11. Follow the onboarding and launch a flight
  12. Reconnect your PC to the internet
  13. Connect back to the internet.
  14. On connected in-game, quit Microsoft Flight Simulator
  15. Launch Microsoft Flight Simulator again
  • If you are prompted to pick a save, you need to pick “LOCAL” for this time only. Moving forward, you will want to pick “Cloud”

This procedure will delete all your progress, key bindings, flight logs, achievements, landing challenges scores and so on.

When I did it both “right-click-freezes-controls” and “middle-click-resets-zoom” were resolved. After I changed sensitivity settings on my TCA sidestick, both bugs were back. I then tried to do the same thing again but without success this time.

I’m sure of almost nothing but both bugs WERE gone during this 30 minutes flight, and the procedure outlined above was done just before. Bugs both came back after I tinkered with joystick profiles.

I will keep trying to find out what exactly happened.

2 Likes

I cannot see how any of that is going to fix the mouse zoom issue. I would urge anyone to not try this as a knee jerk reaction as it will likely cause more problems than it pretends to fix.

That procedure if for CTD issues, not mouse issues.

It looks like it resets all user settings, equivalent to a reinstall without downloading the whole thing again.

Interesting to see the sim can run without the bug, i wasn’t sure if everyone is affected all the time and if most pepole just don’t care.

1 Like

This has to be some hardware issue, i had the idea for a (stupid) workaround by swaping the right and the middle mousebutton in windows. I installed a software called “autohotkey” which makes that possible, swaping the buttons went well with it, but inside the sim the controls still froze like before.

At this point i consider getting a cheap mouse and exchange the buttons using a soldering iron :rofl:

It’s definitely not a hardware issue.

2 Likes

I noticed the TCA sidestick is mentioned often in this thread, i use that as well. Would be interesting which hardware is used by the affected users.

I recently also picked up the TCA Quadrant Addon (finally after a year of looking lol) amd have found out that this issue, holding the right mouse button to freeze controlls, also resets the autobrake on that addon in the sim which is highly annoying during final and you realize that autobrake is disconnected even tho you havnt changed anything on the hardware.

Seeing the posts above could make me suspect its being caused from something from the Sidestick profile but no clue as to what. Hope SU8 and its bug fixing priority will resolve this by now.

So you didn’t had that problem before?, or were you using a gamecontroller or something?

It’s not a hardware issue. It is reported with many different configs.

It is a software issue that was implemented with the disastourous SU5. Everything was working fine before they nerfed all the controls for Xbox. It worked for years in other ESP sims (FSX and P3d), and MSFS before SU5.

3 Likes

In my case it seems like turning off “motion blur” could be the solution.
No freezes since there (had also problems with freezes by pressing the “ready to fly” button).

Would be interesting if that is the ‘fix’ for it, as I’ve never suffered from this bug, and have never had motion blur enabled.

What i wonder is: is everyone affected who is using a joystick/yoke (there was some speculation that this is not a bug but some kind of feature for x-box controllers), or is it that just users of certain joysticks having this issue?

I’ve had the problem since SU5, just posted an update on further issues with the bug since getting the add on. I’m using the entire TCA Airbus line of peripherals

I fail to see any sort of relation between a graphical setting and a control issue, but I’ve seen weirder causes for bugs in other software.

Just to be clear, we’re not talking about freezes as in “frame rate dips” or anything remotely graphical in nature. The controls are actually locked when panning. The game still runs, plane moves smoothly, but you are unable to control throttle or pitch with a joystick. Are you talking about the same thing?

1 Like