Freeware category for MSFS Marketplace

I am happy to see that much freeware is being shared already. :blue_heart:

But honestly, can we make freeware not equally present to payware in the store?
Over all that years in different sims i am really got tired of that “gray market attitude”, that old completely manual process to gather freeware: “download this->extract that->copy into…”
Can we please rethink this process? Could we please have an automated installation process also for freeware? With a simple interface to enable anyone to get freeware into the marketplace? And a category as a shelf for all that airports, planes, ingame games :smile:

I really don’t like it to change so many things in the installation folders manually, every longterm simmer knows what it means when you play around with lots of freeware elements, at some point it brings the performance down, cause one of it is not installed properly or interferes with the others.

With a freeware shelf MS could secure that no one plays around in the sim installation folders and can helpfully scan the provided freeware for potential technical risks and yeah scan not only for our beloved corona virus (like google play protect does it with its content e.g.) I know even more work for you guys, but way more comfort for simmers and a lower entry barrier for casual gamers…

Maybe a working rating function within the marketplace so everyone can see and sort the freeware to see what the most liked/relevants are.

As always, THANK YOU guys! Keep the head and the blue side up! :blue_heart:

Agree to the idea and waits for the implantation of it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

be prepared for a long wait :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It is OK, I am old enough to remember the days Windows installer was not part of Windows :wink:
Today people in Microsoft knows what TCE means, repeat this abbreviation and they will react much faster :joy:

Great idea - It has my vote!

2 Likes

Love this idea. Developers should be able to submit content and just mark it as $0.00. Why would it take a long time to implement? What would prevent just listing the product as free? So many benefits to this.

A rating system that does not get arbitrarily reset. Thinking this should be split into 2 requests.

2 Likes

There’s already one free airport in the marketplace (okay, only one… but it has to start somewhere :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

I did not see it until after I posted this. Love it, hope we see more of it!

1 Like

yep, and since you can sort by price (low to high), the free mods will always show up on top.

found it odd though, 3,5GB for that 1 small airport, when the whole sim is like 105GB (and yes I know data streaming is a thing, but still).

1 Like

This exactly. Something like the steam workshop is imho a must have for a game like this. One centralized repository for all addons, instead of them being scattered around over 5-10 different websites. And then just a simple one click installer. Please!

1 Like

Maybe is it possible to see the servers of the world display all the free enhancement sceneries that have been released? Is it necessary to have the agreement of the authors ? The advantage is to have a more detailed world. Is it possible to see this in the near future ?

3 Likes

This has my vote. I did see that the Paderborn add on got put in the marketplace, probably due to its popularity, but i agree that all freeware that passes merit should have a place in the marketplace.

2 Likes

More likely due to Paderborn having been made by Aerosoft, i.e. a company that also sells payware add-ons, not just an individual modder.

5 Likes

Was going to start this, realized you already did. Thank you. +1 from me.

Also please allow user comments on products. I see some people write excellent and give 4 stars :slight_smile: when you read it makes you feel they missclicked

2 Likes

Right! That makes sense. The marketplace does need a dedicated freeware section then for all the individual modders with quality add-ons as well.

3 Likes

There are plenty of new mods and such coming out for the sim, but with no official place for them it is stupidly hard to find what’s good and what isn’t, jumping from one site to the next.

Please create an xplane store/user content style hub. Where we can upload mods, rate them and get support.

Just was thinking about the same thing, maybe it is possible to find a way to bring them (freeware or low price-production) also to the store so that there is all in one place which includes also a voting system and a direct download to the game, which will be helpfull in many ways.

1 Like

Definitely wanna see this… especially on Xbox!

3 Likes

Sound like a good idea, if it could also apply to coverting pc freeware to xbox freeware then that would be a brilliant addition !

1 Like

Oh, do XBox users have an option to load stuff from flightsim.to manually? Or do you only have the Ingame Marketplace?

1 Like