Freeze no CTD on every flight

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

Yrd

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Are you using DX11 or DX12?

DX12

Are you using DLSS?

yES

Brief description of the issue:

Sim freezes with not CTD. Has happened every single flight.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Looking at the performance its as if the sim just stops using the PC’s resources.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and peripheral set up:

AMD 7900X3D, RTX4080, 64GB RAM. Windows 11

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I’ve certainly encountered freezes in SU15B but have also encountered them previously too. The difficulty is that, unlike CTDs, none of my freezes generate error or warning entries in the event viewer application or system logs, nor can I reliably reproduce them. I’ve just added this post to the User Support Hub / Install, Performance & Graphics section as I was unsure if my example would be considered a “new” bug in SU15B or one that has previously existed. I can add to this thread if the mods think it appropriate to do so.

1 Like

Do you use DX11 or DX12?

DX12.
Partial Specs & settings: i7-12700K, 32 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40, Arc 770 (16GB).
Graphics Tab: TAA, Render resolution 1700x931 / 125, 100% MRR (60 Hz), DX12 Beta, TLOD @ 250, Other settings - all Ultra
Traffic Tab: Aircraft Traffic Type - Real-Time Online, Slider Settings - All 100%, Generics (AI, MP) - Both Off, Show MP in Vicinity - On, Traffic Variety - Ultra
Data Tab: Data Connection: All six options - On, Rolling Cache - On
Developers Tab: Developer Mode - Off
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: 1 (Weather Presets - Clouds)

1 Like

So I flied another flight. This time with Real Time Traffic off. It seems to have solved the freeze. I was able to fly 3 hours. However on descent it had a CTD with exception 0x00000c5

1 Like

Just had the same, 2 flights in a row out of EGSS with real-time traffic in the Fenix. Both happened around FL180

Do you use Live traffic?

Can confirm this as well for both Xbox and Pc , Live traffic on and mainly in the study level airliners I have been getting these freezes and have to restart the whole system. Happens mainly after takeoff around 18 to 350 flight level . Super annoying.

1 Like

For the first time since the sim was released I’m now experiencing app freezes (with no CTD - I need to kill the process manually to terminate it). However, my circumstances are specific in that I only see a freeze when I return to the sim from the PC being in a sleep state. I notice that on return from sleep the sim runs for a second or two before freezing but this does not occur every time. I do not use live or AI traffic.

Specs: 7800X3D / RTX 4090 / 551.46 / 32GB / NVME SSD / Ultra settings / Windows 11 (22631.2361)

(Background: Since release in Aug 2020 I have been able to pause the sim in mid-flight and then sleep the PC. Once ready to return to that flight I wake the PC, unpause and carry on the flight with no issue. I have a PC dedicated to MSFS).

Trying without now (using AIG instead ) and what do you know - cruising happily at 370. Will see how descent and landing at EKCH go

Terrible landing into a misty Copenhagen but no crashes

2 Likes

This leads me to believe it has something to do with the live traffic injection. Maybe that it’s inputting more traffic then the memory can handle.

1 Like

If the volume / amount of traffic is a cause, then we should only be seeing these freezes near large airports where such traffic congregates. We should not be seeing it (I’d hope) at, say, FL400 mid Atlantic. If we keep specifying where we are in a flight when it freezes (geographic location / nearest airport, altitude, on approach, departure, landing, etc.) as folks in previous threads have done, plus our traffic settings at the time, then maybe we can build a better picture to help nail down a common cause or set of causes.

Partially. Location is different.

Sim froze while on Rwy 5 approach to Anuradhapura AB (VCCA). Had previously landed at Sigiriya (VCCS) without issue. Flightplan enclosed:
Asia-Sri Lanka Batticoloa, VCCB to Columbo, VCCC.PLN (2.7 KB)
Two WER entries were created at the time in the Event Viewer Application Log:
Asia-Sri Lanka VCCB to VCCC Application Error 1.txt (3.6 KB)
Asia-Sri Lanka VCCB to VCCC Application Error 2.txt (3.6 KB)
With an additional Display error in the System log:
Asia-Sri Lanka VCCB to VCCC System Error 1.txt (987 Bytes)
As in other of my flights that froze, I was flying with real-time traffic enabled. Flight Conditions were: Multiplayer: All Players, Traffic: Live Traffic, Weather: Live
Resource Monitor showed the FlightSimulator.exe status as Not Responding, though Average CPU activity continued to change. Disk & network activity related to FlightSimulator.exe was absent (i.e., there was not any).

Partial Specs & settings:
Build: SU15B 1.37.4.0
i7-12700K (No overclocking), 32 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40, Arc 770 (16GB, driver v31.0.101.5333).
Graphics Tab: TAA, Render resolution 1700x960 @ 125, AMD Fidelity - 150, VSync - On, FRL - 100% MRR (60 Hz), HDR10 - Off, DX12B, TLOD @ 250, OLD @ 200, Motion Blur - Off, Other settings - all Ultra
Traffic Tab: Aircraft Traffic Type - Real-Time Online, Slider Settings - All 100%, Generics (AI, MP) - Both Off, Show MP in Vicinity - On, Traffic Variety - Ultra
Data Tab: Data Connection: All six options - On, Data Limit - Off, Bandwidth - Unlimited, Rolling Cache - On (5 GB)
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: 1 (Weather Presets - Clouds)
MSFS Version: MS-Store, Standard
[Edit #1, 04/04/24: Now on build SU15B v1.37.11.0. Still freezing at the same point as SU15B v1.37.4.0]

This shows the location at the moment of the freeze (v1.37.11.0):
Repro - Freeze at Anuradhapura AB (VCCA) 1

and this shows the view of runway 26 at Anuradhapura AB (VCCA) (just past the end of the wing) (v1.37.11.0):

Partially. Location is different. Build is now SU15B 1.37.5.0

Sim froze about 5 minutes into a flight from Lukla (VNLK) to Syangboche (VNSB).
Lukla (VNLK) to Syangboche (VNSB).PLN (3.1 KB)
Two WER entries were created at the time in the Event Viewer Application Log:
Lukla (VNLK) to Syangboche (VNSB) Application Error 1.txt (3.6 KB)
Lukla (VNLK) to Syangboche (VNSB) Application Error 2.txt (3.6 KB)
With an additional Display error in the System log:
“Display driver igfxnd stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”
Lukla (VNLK) to Syangboche (VNSB) System Error 1.txt (977 Bytes)
This time, I was flying with AI Offline traffic enabled. Flight Conditions were: Multiplayer: All Players, Traffic: AI, Weather: Preset - few clouds.

Partial Specs & settings:
Build: SU15B 1.37.5.0
i7-12700K (No overclocking), 32 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 CL40, Arc 770 (16GB, driver v31.0.101.5333).
Graphics Tab: TAA, Render resolution 1700x960 @ 125, AMD Fidelity - 150, VSync - On, FRL - 100% MRR (60 Hz), HDR10 - Off, DX12B, TLOD @ 250, OLD @ 200, Motion Blur - Off, Other settings - all Ultra
Traffic Tab: Aircraft Traffic Type - AI Offline, Slider Settings - All 100%, Generics (AI, MP) - Both Off, Show MP in Vicinity - On, Traffic Variety - Ultra
Data Tab: Data Connection: All six options - On, Data Limit - Off, Bandwidth - Unlimited, Rolling Cache - On (5 GB)
3rd-Party Addons: None, Community Addons: None
MSFS Version: MS-Store, Standard, plus All WUs and most MS free aircraft

[Edit 1: Now repairing the graphics driver as per this link on the Intel Website.]
[Edit 2: Driver re-installed (clean), PC rebooted, Flight plan reloaded … Froze at exactly the same location.]
[Edit #4: Now on build SU15B v1.37.11.0. Still freezing at exactly the same point as SU15B v1.37.5.0]

Edit #3:
Flew the same flight plan (Lukla (VNLK) to Syangboche (VNSB) today, same settings except rolling cache was turned off. Got over Gonglha pass:

Froze at the same location, with the same errors in the event log as previously reported:

Navmap at moment of freeze. Not sure what the boat is doing on the mountain…:
Beta SU15 v1.37.5.0 Lukla (VNLK) to VNSB Freeze Location

1 Like

Similar

Sim freezes for 4-5 minutes. It does eventually respond again. Nothing in event log as it hasn’t actually crashed. I have had it happen on the ground, on takeoff and on approach. In my case, I am not using Live Traffic or Multiplayer. If I am in the air, when it starts responding, the aircraft usually disconnects the AP and is on a slightly different heading or altitude. It could be an issue with the weather changing?

This is the only recent change I have made. Got two freezes today, which I have never encountered before. Will try this thanks.

1 Like

Hi, speaking of freezes, I know not if this is caused by the latest update, but, the sim freezes with almost all changes from one scenario to the next. Without the old control alt, delete the sim would be unusable. I have reinstalled the sim multiple times and with all my zillon add ons it takes a week or so of intense computing to get it back to where I want it. I won’t do that again

I also had a freeze in flight today while taxiing. I had a weird error about DX12 that i’ve seen for the first time. I guess there’s something wrong in beta about DX12 which is not stable at all. I know it’s in beta but never had issues with it prior to SU15 beta.

I’ve been experiencing these freezes for years. MSFS freezes for a few minutes and then resumes. It usually happens at the airport, and I think it’s somehow related to aspects of greater “graphical heaviness”. I’ve tried everything: different planes, removed the community folder, tried various suggestions and graphic settings both at the card level and within MSFS, changed the graphics card, etc., but nothing works. The freezes consistently reoccur at least once every two flights. The behavior is similar to when a device is connected or disconnected from a USB port, but in this case, the USB ports are not involved (I also used a low-level tool to check the events on the ports to verify this). In fact, I’ve given up, it’s a problem without a solution at the moment…

1 Like